Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SnakeDoctorTD Loving
Zero issues. Tread still looks fine, though I do expect it will wear inside more than usual since I'm using lowering links. I bought the wheels while they had a sale going on, and paid around 2K if I recall correctly. I think the wheels should probably run somewhere in the 2000-3000 range. Tires, YMMV as usual.
Perfect, Yes I understand the wearing issue because I had the same problem when I lowered my S. What about the spacer's best place to buy them and how hard was it to trim the rear spindle. And this might be a stupid question but what's the 40 mean 22x10.5 et 40 285/35 and in the rear you have 20 before the tire size. Thanks Again....

@SnakeDoctorTD Loving

Perfect, Yes I understand the wearing issue because I had the same problem when I lowered my S. What about the spacer's best place to buy them and how hard was it to trim the rear spindle. And this might be a stupid question but what's the 40 mean 22x10.5 et 40 285/35 and in the rear you have 20 before the tire size. Thanks Again....

Thankfully, the shop I bought the wheels from, had spacers in stock. Otherwise, I mean, they are small spacers, so you can probably find some on ebay or something. If they were thicker and you needed studs in the spacers to mount the wheels to, then you need to be more picky in choosing the spacer. Not the case here.

As far as shaving down the spindle, it took them quite some time as they used an angle grinder to trim it down. Maybe the hub ring was getting in the way of them just straight up slicing it off with something else, but yeah it took a while. Maybe the shop you go to will have a better tool for the job. Otherwise, it's gonna take a while. Not hard per se, but seemed a little inefficient.

That number is the offset of the wheels. 40 being pretty conservative, and 20 is a bit aggressive. I had to go with the tire sizes I did since I wanted to fit as wide a wheel as I could to get maximum concavity on the front and rear. I won't lie, when I asked them if we could fit 10.5" in the front and 11" in the rear, I was very skeptical.

One thing of note though. You are stretching tires for this setup, not a ton, but you still are. That means chain shops like Discount Tire and stuff, won't touch your wheels/tires. Also, the whole load index thing. If you plan to have a crap ton of weight in your car for whatever reason, you are running a risk that the tires won't hold up. Just had to make sure I put that out there.

Thankfully, the shop I bought the wheels from, had spacers in stock. Otherwise, I mean, they are small spacers, so you can probably find some on ebay or something. If they were thicker and you needed studs in the spacers to mount the wheels to, then you need to be more picky in choosing the spacer. Not the case here.

As far as shaving down the spindle, it took them quite some time as they used an angle grinder to trim it down. Maybe the hub ring was getting in the way of them just straight up slicing it off with something else, but yeah it took a while. Maybe the shop you go to will have a better tool for the job. Otherwise, it's gonna take a while. Not hard per se, but seemed a little inefficient.

That number is the offset of the wheels. 40 being pretty conservative, and 20 is a bit aggressive. I had to go with the tire sizes I did since I wanted to fit as wide a wheel as I could to get maximum concavity on the front and rear. I won't lie, when I asked them if we could fit 10.5" in the front and 11" in the rear, I was very skeptical.

One thing of note though. You are stretching tires for this setup, not a ton, but you still are. That means chain shops like Discount Tire and stuff, won't touch your wheels/tires. Also, the whole load index thing. If you plan to have a crap ton of weight in your car for whatever reason, you are running a risk that the tires won't hold up. Just had to make sure I put that out there.
Sounds great, I understand that.... when your going for the look you sacrifice somethings lol.... Thanks for all the info!!

Ok last question, I'm having the hardest time finding spacers that are made for the Model X. So did you use a universal spacer and if you did do you have any vibration because that are not hub centric?

Ok last question, I'm having the hardest time finding spacers that are made for the Model X. So did you use a universal spacer and if you did do you have any vibration because that are not hub centric?
I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what they used. They just said it needed spacers in the front. So I said ok, they put em on, and we haven't had any issues or vibrations.

I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what they used. They just said it needed spacers in the front. So I said ok, they put em on, and we haven't had any issues or vibrations.
OK I just got off the phone with Ferrada wheels and they said the biggest I could go is 9.5 front and 10 in the rear he said the 10.5 would not fit in the front without modifications? But I'm looking at your car and I'm not sure what else you did if anything besides lowering links. He said if I did 10.5 in the front with spacers it would stick out pass the wheel well. So I'm confused now.... Any insight would be very helpful.

Arrived! Pearl shade a dead on match thank goodness.
3bfca7e9-e3f0-496a-a2d5-ae55c40bfe7e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 474
Reactions: SnakeDoctorTD
OK I just got off the phone with Ferrada wheels and they said the biggest I could go is 9.5 front and 10 in the rear he said the 10.5 would not fit in the front without modifications? But I'm looking at your car and I'm not sure what else you did if anything besides lowering links. He said if I did 10.5 in the front with spacers it would stick out pass the wheel well. So I'm confused now.... Any insight would be very helpful.
Go to the T Sportline website and look at their aftermarket wheel choices. All the widths, offsets, hub bores, and tire size options are listed. Dont reinvent the wheel, they've done it for you.

5mm spacers were used on the front. There is slight poke, but nothing crazy. The tire size was also chosen so there wouldn't be rubbing. Here's some pics I just took the other day after installing the Maxton Design front lip.

Attachments

• 20211018_171350.jpg
    20211018_171350.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 506
  • 20211018_171512~2.jpg
    20211018_171512~2.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 20211018_171534.jpg
    20211018_171534.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 549
Great thread. Went through the pages and trying to see if i can get this done. Got a refresh X on order looking to see if I can use my Range Rover wheels on them. Appreciate the feedback.

Vossens 22"
5x120
10.5" et38 squared

I think it'll be too aggressive for the fronts...

Great thread. Went through the pages and trying to see if i can get this done. Got a refresh X on order looking to see if I can use my Range Rover wheels on them. Appreciate the feedback.

Vossens 22"
5x120
10.5" et38 squared

I think it'll be too aggressive for the fronts...
I suppose you could put a spacer on the front if clearing the brakes or struts is an issue. This is assuming the new X has the same fitment as the pre-refresh ones.

I suppose you could put a spacer on the front if clearing the brakes or struts is an issue. This is assuming the new X has the same fitment as the pre-refresh ones.
Thanks for the feedback. Adding a spacer up front? Does that mean that +38 offset will sink in too much? I figured 10.5 up front will be sticking out too much. Yes I am assuming the refresh has the same config (wheel wise) as pre-refresh.

Thanks for the feedback. Adding a spacer up front? Does that mean that +38 offset will sink in too much? I figured 10.5 up front will be sticking out too much. Yes I am assuming the refresh has the same config (wheel wise) as pre-refresh.
I'm running 10.5" et40 with a 5mm spacer, in effect having a +35 offset. It doesn't stick out that much. Almost flush it looks like to me. This is the best pic I have to illustrate.

Attachments

• 20210406_185448~2.jpg
    20210406_185448~2.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 517