Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Model X still have the dreaded SHUDDER or has it been fixed.
I just ordered a new one and was wondering if I get the shudder for no extra charge??
The issue is explained in detail here. The X now runs at "low" by default and drops to low automatically at different speeds below depending on how high you have the suspension set. The "Caution" below is due to the travel of the CV joint during the extreme angles of high and very high settings.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.05.07 PM.png

Does the Model X still have the dreaded SHUDDER or has it been fixed.
I just ordered a new one and was wondering if I get the shudder for no extra charge??
From my research on this forum, Reddit model x owners, and YouTube reviews:

Model X is based on the Model S platform which originally was RWD. Elon Musk admitted this was a mistake, and X should’ve been designed on its own platform. Model 3 and Y have their own platforms. When Tesla added the front electric motor, there was no room to place it linear to the front wheel CV joints. So the front motor sits higher causing the front half shafts (axels) to be at steeper than normal angles to the CVS. This is a design flaw that has not been fixed with new parts. Tesla would have to redesign the whole front steering area. Instead, Tesla has made their software to default Model X into low air suspension mode when driving. You could override it for speeds less than 55mph and get cute by setting normal or high drive height. Be warned however, if you accelerate hard (or turn the wheel/corner accelerate) on higher air suspension settings, that surge in torque + turning angle + steeper half shaft angle will likely cause the ball bearings to bind/gouge the inner CV raceways and cause the infamous shudder on acceleration.

So even if you’re compliant and ride in low height mode like Tesla wants you to, that causes the rear wheels to have increased negative camber (top of the wheels lean inward). This causes disproportionate tire wear on the inner edge/wall. Most unassuming owners will say hey the tire treads look fine from the outside and middle, but unless you physically get underneath the rear of the car or put it on a lift regularly, you won’t notice the inner tire wearing out to the steel belts until a highway tire blowout happens.

at the very least this issue will require you to 1) pay for frequent tire changes or 2) spend $2-3K on aftermarket parts/installation such as from N2iutive.

Model X has a staggered wheel setup so you cannot rotate the tires. Unless you go through the hassle of dismounting the tires from rims and rotate them side to side only.

And to add to this great summary, the new model has factory adjustable toe arms where the older models did not. So technically you only need to find a solution for the camber arms. This makes the install cheaper as well since you only have to swap camber arms and get an alignment. Then your tires will wear normally (at least for a staggered set). A few quotes around here were around 1k labor to do both toe and camber arms and alignment, $600 for just camber arms.

You could override it for speeds less than 55mph and get cute by setting normal or high drive height.
So if you're on a rough highway going >55mph and want to drive at normal ride height to improve ride quality, that's impossible? Is the car programmed to adjust ride height automatically to improve ride quality like on the MS? This is new info to me. Thanks.

So if you're on a rough highway going >55mph and want to drive at normal ride height to improve ride quality, that's impossible? Is the car programmed to adjust ride height automatically to improve ride quality like on the MS? This is new info to me. Thanks.
Manual - Model X Air Suspension

• Medium - The Medium setting ensures optimum comfort and handling under all loading conditions. The suspension automatically lowers to Low when driving speed exceeds 55 mph (89 km/h).

However if you select the following, Tesla doesn’t say what level height is used at what speeds.

Adaptive Suspension Damping​

The settings associated with Adaptive Suspension Damping provide real-time adjustments to the suspension system to optimize both ride and handling. Choose from:
  • Comfort - Provides a gentler ride for a relaxed driving experience.
  • Auto - Adjusts to a wide range of roads and driving styles, providing a fluid yet well controlled ride.

This seems like the only good solution if Tesla is otherwise ignoring it. Needs to be done BEFORE you trash the half-shafts.

What is frustrating is that in spite of this being a known issue, Tesla hasn’t done much about this issue. How difficult is to change the specification of a camber arm or as well but this N2itive company.

Tesla has zero motivation in mechanically improving their S/ X. Hopefully, with the completion coming in 2024 and beyond, Tesla can get their act together in this case.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
What is frustrating is that in spite of this being a known issue, Tesla hasn’t done much about this issue. How difficult is to change the specification of a camber arm or as well but this N2itive company.

Tesla has zero motivation in mechanically improving their S/ X. Hopefully, with the completion coming in 2024 and beyond, Tesla can get their act together in this case.
It is therefore the reason WHY I have just now canceled my X order (10 Oct delivery) and told them why. As if the care. They could easily apply the N@itive fix if they were motivated. I'd rather forfeit $250 than be plagued with the shudder and the black seats in FL (only seats available with the tax credit). X Owners/Buyers. Think of me every time you feel that shudder and whenever you are replacing those back tires. See pic from one of my two blowouts, due to this problem.

Been there, done that. Don't need another T-Shirt.
Hey, Hankook tires are half the price of Tesla replacements and better quality.

Attachments

• Continental Model X.jpeg
    Continental Model X.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 124
It is therefore the reason WHY I have just now canceled my X order (10 Oct delivery) and told them why. As if the care. They could easily apply the N@itive fix if they were motivated. I'd rather forfeit $250 than be plagued with the shudder and the black seats in FL (only seats available with the tax credit). X Owners/Buyers. Think of me every time you feel that shudder and whenever you are replacing those back tires. See pic from one of my two blowouts, due to this problem.

Been there, done that. Don't need another T-Shirt.
Hey, Hankook tires are half the price of Tesla replacements and better quality.
Sorry to hear that you've pulled out, but I understand your rationale. Not to sound like a jerk, but is there a reason why you chose to do so now? Neither of those things changed since you placed your order. Curious if new info has come to light.

I'm not thrilled to hear this is simply a design flaw and will never get more than a band-aid fix from Tesla, but I've lived with it on my MS for 2 years and it never bothered me that much. I suppose aftermarket solutions are an option, but I'm too concerned about Tesla denying any warranty claim they didn't feel like covering.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Sorry to hear that you've pulled out, but I understand your rationale. Not to sound like a jerk, but is there a reason why you chose to do so now? Neither of those things changed since you placed your order. Curious if new info has come to light.

I'm not thrilled to hear this is simply a design flaw and will never get more than a band-aid fix from Tesla, but I've lived with it on my MS for 2 years and it never bothered me that much. I suppose aftermarket solutions are an option, but I'm too concerned about Tesla denying any warranty claim they didn't feel like covering.
Thanks to this forum, I just became aware that the shudder goes with the car for life.
I have a beautiful MYP and realized I would lose $8k on it's sale, (spoiled after making $8k on the last MY after a year). So, I realized how stupid it would be to give up acceleration, my nice white seats, my nice 3% loan, lose $8K, pay another $5k in tax, pay for new PPF, just to experience excessive tire wear and shudder through life. What was I thinking??

Resisted the impulse. Better to lose $250, than $20K. I have had a 2016 and 2019 Model X, so that craving is satisfied. I still think the Model Y is the best value vehicle Tesla makes.

I will keep the MYP until my CYBRTRK arrives in Nov 2024.

Yes. The Hankook tires are amazing. I was one of the first to buy them, and I thought they were junk at that price. Wow, was I surprised! Smooth, quiet ride, endless tire mileage and sticky. I set the World quickest SUV record with the Raven on Hankook tires besting the Lambo Urus. I understand Tesla is now putting them on some Model 3s. They will always be my replacement tires. Love them!

Attachments

• PPF Front.jpg
    PPF Front.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220622_094346(1).jpg
    20220622_094346(1).jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220622_094358(1).jpg
    20220622_094358(1).jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Neon001
I hope your expectation is that the lowering links by themselves will NOT resolve shudder or inner tire wear.
Mostly for the flush look reducing the fender gap, but should also PREVENT the shudder from ever being an issue with the corrected drivetrain angles.

Nothing besides replacement half-shafts would fix the damage once its done.

Reactions: theslimshadyist