Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side cameras when in reverse? Is this available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That feature is available on version 2020.24.6.1.

Your vehicle will receive the update when you VIN hits the servers. There’s no way to force an update or anything. Just keep the car connected to wifi and plugged it.

If you just got the car it can take a 1-3wks to receive an update to the latest and greatest. Don’t stress over it, plugged in and wifi that’s all you can do

That feature is available on version 2020.24.6.1.

Your vehicle will receive the update when you VIN hits the servers. There’s no way to force an update or anything. Just keep the car connected to wifi and plugged it.

If you just got the car it can take a 1-3wks to receive an update to the latest and greatest. Don’t stress over it, plugged in and wifi that’s all you can do
Are updates contingent on being plugged in?

Do you need to be connected to WiFi or if you have premium connectivity will it download?

My experience so far has been that if you don’t connect to WiFi to install, after 3 days it will download over Premium connectivity. I don’t have WiFi at my cabin and have had 3 software updates pushed over the air.

Usually it’s only over wifi as some of these updates can and will be in the Gb size range. That’s a bit too much to go over cell signal. Now Tesla does say if there’s a “safety issue” it can/will go OTA via cell signal no matter what connectivity package you do or don’t have.

Most of the time I’ve received update notifications after the car has been plugged in for a bit and connected to our home wifi. Again, you can get the notification that there’s an update ready to be downloaded at any point though. It will then prompt you to connect to wifi to download it. You can totally hotspot your phone but depending on your phone plan that might be awhile

I was fortunate to receive the update three days ago. This is a nice added feature, however it would have been much more useful if the side cameras were further back so that you could easily see cars approaching in parking aisles as you back out of a parking spot. The camera is on the side pillar in the middle of the car, so it’s much less useful.

I was fortunate to receive the update three days ago. This is a nice added feature, however it would have been much more useful if the side cameras were further back so that you could easily see cars approaching in parking aisles as you back out of a parking spot. The camera is on the side pillar in the middle of the car, so it’s much less useful.

A customized view would be ideal. Let the user choose which cameras are displayed when in reverse. Seems simple enough...

Found this just doing a quick search. The side cameras appear below the main rear camera. Also I believe the images come from the cameras in the side markers and not the B pillars.
upload_2020-6-29_11-54-16.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-29_11-53-46.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-29_11-53-46.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 139