Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Mirror Adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they are paranoid that people will be adjusting their mirrors while Autopilot is on and then not be able to adjust the speed since the right wheel will be controlling the mirror. Having the right wheel control speed now makes it safety critical in some sense, so they probably decided it should not do anything else. That's the only explanation I can think of, anyhow.

Model 3 has a side mirror "deflect downward on backing up" selection. We have activated this and it generally does what one expects. However, three times now, the driver's side mirror has NOT RETURNED to it's normal position once the car is put in D. I assume this is a software glitch. Not often, but not highly unusual. We've had our M3 for two weeks now and love it.
Have others had this problem? What's the best way to report this to Tesla so they can be aware of the problem and address it?

Have others had this problem? What's the best way to report this to Tesla so they can be aware of the problem and address it?

I've noticed this, and wasn't sure if I was going crazy when using the mirror going forward. I frequently have to re-adjust my driver side mirror. The passenger side always returns to the correct position.

As for reporting, you can try using the voice command bug report in the vehicle or take it to a service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: lemketron
Model 3 has a side mirror "deflect downward on backing up" selection. We have activated this and it generally does what one expects. However, three times now, the driver's side mirror has NOT RETURNED to it's normal position once the car is put in D. I assume this is a software glitch. Not often, but not highly unusual. We've had our M3 for two weeks now and love it.
I've experienced this a few times. Thought for a second I was losing my mind because of the angles I was seeing.

I've noticed this, and wasn't sure if I was going crazy when using the mirror going forward. I frequently have to re-adjust my driver side mirror. The passenger side always returns to the correct position.

As for reporting, you can try using the voice command bug report in the vehicle or take it to a service center.

I've experienced this a few times. Thought for a second I was losing my mind because of the angles I was seeing.

I have had this happen as well. I took it to service, but they couldn't reproduce it so they just did a calibration and sent me on my way.

It continued to occur, so one day when it was happening, I was able to stop the car and troubleshoot it a bit. I opened the mirror menu with my window rolled down, and I could move the scroll wheel up and down, hear the mirror motor running, but the mirror wasn't moving until about 4 clicks up on the scroll wheel. I took a video of it occurring to show service next time I am in.

I now think it's a hardware problem. In the meantime, I disabled auto-tilt which keeps me from having to adjust mirrors all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: N8Howell33
We have activated this and it generally does what one expects. However, three times now, the driver's side mirror has NOT RETURNED to it's normal position once the car is put in D. I assume this is a software glitch. Not often, but not highly unusual. We've had our M3 for two weeks now and love it.
Have others had this problem?

Yup, same issue. The passenger side seems to return ok, however.

I've had this happen once with the passenger mirror so far in a month. It hasn't happened again yet, but I'd probably disable the auto-tilt if started happening often enough to become annoying.

Do you keep your mirror angled out pretty far? This would happen to my old car - with the mirror angled out, the mirror had a difficult time adjusting down and then would get stuck on the down position.

^^just following directions that I have recently found:

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

I haven't had this particular mirror-returning issue, but TT97 is correct, when I manually adjust my mirrors, if I put them out where I need them to be, they won't adjust up because they're "too far" out. You need to move them "in" a click before they'll go up.

I'm finding the 3's mirrors to be absolutely terrible because they don't adjust out far enough. There's a huge blind spot on the outer edge. I'm well aware of how to adjust mirrors properly; the 3's mirrors just don't go there. And I have short legs. It must be terrible for people who sit further back. I'm trying to source Euro mirrors to see if this fixes the problem -- I'm finding hints that the 3 shares mirrors with the S so I'm trying to confirm that first.

Reactions: JES2
I haven't had this particular mirror-returning issue, but TT97 is correct, when I manually adjust my mirrors, if I put them out where I need them to be, they won't adjust up because they're "too far" out. You need to move them "in" a click before they'll go up.

I'm finding the 3's mirrors to be absolutely terrible because they don't adjust out far enough. There's a huge blind spot on the outer edge. I'm well aware of how to adjust mirrors properly; the 3's mirrors just don't go there. And I have short legs. It must be terrible for people who sit further back. I'm trying to source Euro mirrors to see if this fixes the problem -- I'm finding hints that the 3 shares mirrors with the S so I'm trying to confirm that first.
As you say, if the mirrors are angled too far upwards, they will not angle all the way out. This seems to be an issue mainly on the driver's side. I adjusted the mirror down a bit and now it goes far enough outwards. Seems OK so far. (I am 5'10" with a longer torso. YMMV.)