Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigh, customer service....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
It's been 2.5 months since I had my system installed and paid in full. Everything is working except I lack the POE. Tesla Solar originally didn't submit the paperwork, causing a month delay between the city approval and the actual application as they claim it should have been automated. That already wasted one month. Fast forward another month, my POE never came. I found that there was an issue with the application, Tesla never followed up on it or answered the email from PG&E. It was just stuck in limbo for a month. They claim they will have new people working on it this time as they had some staff changes, let's see if I will hear back from them in a week.

Since I have a separate system already, I guess the good news is that it doesn't kick me off NEM1 or EV-A at this point.

Same here.

I called today to Tesla after I didn't get my PTO yet.
Apparently PG&E sent them an ask for additional information 2 weeks ago but no one is monitoring my account.

"Tesla is going through changes and your account has been assigned over to another team" - this is what they told me...

The representative assigned it to someone who should answer PG&E within the next 48 hours.

This is so frustrating, they took all the money already and now I need to chase after them to finish the job?

My system was installed on Jan 2 and the PTO app was submitted incorrectly. They had me in a commercial bucket and wanted $800 application fee. PG&E sent 3 emails to Tesla, I sent three also and called twice. A customer service person called me back three weeks ago and do date nothing since then.

Call the PG&E Solar Customer Service Center at 877-743-4112 and have your e-mail added to your application so that you get copies of the PG&E requests they send to Tesla. Then you can hound Tesla to answer them without waiting additional weeks for no reason.

Reactions: jboy210
Then you can hound Tesla to answer them without waiting additional weeks for no reason.
Let me fix this for you:
Then you can hound Tesla too and watch them ignore your requests like they do with PG&E
I got every note that Tesla got, emailed the same person, called support and they emailed the same person and nada. No reactions.

If this person (not to be named) gets a job in any company God help them. They flat out did nothing and ignored every bit of communications sent to them (or perhaps they were fired within minutes of submitting my application and Tesla never replaced then and/or routed the emails).

My install has been moving ahead in fits and starts (or stops, really), since September. One month ago I was supposed to get outreach for an install date for some time in may/June. Been crickets ever since. No response to any brief, polite inquiries. Between caronavirus and this “staff changes” people mentioned, an install before the end of 2020 now seems questionable...

My install has been moving ahead in fits and starts (or stops, really), since September. One month ago I was supposed to get outreach for an install date for some time in may/June. Been crickets ever since. No response to any brief, polite inquiries. Between caronavirus and this “staff changes” people mentioned, an install before the end of 2020 now seems questionable...
So, just heard back! Promising, but not holding my breath. Also NOT excited about woodside fire being involved, they are pretty rigid.

“I reached out to the permitting team on 3/5 and again just now. They let me know that the plans got re-routed to Woodside Fire dept and waiting for their approval. My understanding is that we should have heard something back by 3/13 so I’m looking for some clarification before reaching out.”

Is it Tesla's policy to get paid before the permission to operate has been issued? I have had two systems installed by others than Tesla and neither of them required payment until my PTO was issued. In one case that took over a year.

yes, Tesla is paid upon final walkthrough. Source: SGv3 + PW install before 2019 closed out. PTO within weeks.

there’s been 20% layoffs across energy.

I don’t have a problem paying, I have a problem with work not being completed
Yeah, to me the PTO is the last and therefore most important step. I have been in construction most of my life either as a vendor of materials or as a lendor and it is customary for many construction contracts to hold back at least a portion of the contract until final completion which is usually a certificate of occupancy which comes after final building department approval. i remember they tried that on the delivery of my cars but I waited until I saw the vehicle when I paid cash. It didn't matter when the lendor funded my second purchase because they had more leverage than me with Tesla.

Don't feel bad. I CALLED and PG&E said they sent an email to them a month ago, they just never replied...

This was my experience. I found I had to call and baby-sit the interactions between Tesla and "all" of the 3rd parties like the city inspectors, the utility inspectors, the paperwork between the utility and Tesla. 50% of the time I found things just sitting in limbo, where Tesla didn't call somebody, or changed something without telling the other parties, or didn't send something, or didn't follow-up. I'm pretty sure my install would have taken months longer if I hadn't constantly been checking-in (over the phone) with both Tesla (to find out what they "think" the next step was), and then various 3rd parties, to make sure they had received what they needed, when they needed. More often than not there was a disconnect that was just sitting there going nowhere. It's ridiculous no matter what, and then especially given the large amounts of money involved for most customers.

Ultimately I still don't think I would have this type of truly amazing system without Tesla, but they have to fix the accountability and efficiency of their service groups. It will sink Tesla eventually if there ever is a competitor that does service better with products that function as well, or better (but I don't see any on the horizon right now, at all).

I had the same experience as Jay. I spent quite a bit of time babysitting the relationship between Tesla and TECO, County inspector, etc. My PTO ended up getting delayed because they changed a label on one of the forms, and no one at TECO bothered to tell Tesla until I called asking WTF.....

I guess other than losing the monitoring, I really shouldn't complaint because I am on NEM1 and I am getting the more favorable net metering rate. Maybe it will help with my $2500 true up last year lol

I called yesterday, they said they resubmitted the paperwork just yesterday. Of course they never called as promised.