Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sighting Other 3s -- Eerie Absence, Sudden Confluence

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Got our Model 3 in late December.

Since then, despite eyes keenly peeled, I've seen exactly three others on the road, and that's here in Southern California, where they're supposed to be everywhere.

Then, after seeing three in three months, I saw three within three miles while driving Angeles Crest this afternoon. Bizarre.

Bizarre or not, driving Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest was a blast. Always great in an S. Even better in a 3. And, definitely better than the 3 series, S4, S5, Supra, and 3000GT that I've driven up there over the decades.

scrapps

Jan 10, 2016
Wilton, CT
I was thinking about when I start spotting other M3 drivers on the road and if I should try waving/peace sign at them. I've had a WRX for about 7 years now and 90% of other WRX drivers wave/peace sign as they go past. Same with when I was on a motorbike. Figure there's a good chance it might take off with the 3 community :)

Reactions: T-Will

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
I was thinking about when I start spotting other M3 drivers on the road and if I should try waving/peace sign at them. I've had a WRX for about 7 years now and 90% of other WRX drivers wave/peace sign as they go past. Same with when I was on a motorbike. Figure there's a good chance it might take off with the 3 community :)
Tesla owners have waved at each other since the beginning of Tesla. It’s nothing new to “take off” with Model 3s.
There’s also the famous Tesla nod:

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
If anyone ever tries to Tesla nod or Tesla wave at me once I have my Model 3, I'll ignore them. I'm not their friend and don't need their camaraderie.

Besides, a nod is when the deliberate nodding movement is downwards, not upwards. This is more of a "Tesla chin lift", but it is definitely not a nod.

Last edited:

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
If anyone ever tries to Tesla nod or Tesla wave at me once I have my Model 3, I'll ignore them. I'm not their friend and don't need their camaraderie.

Besides, a nod is when the deliberate nodding movement is downwards, not upwards. This is more of a "Tesla chin lift", but it is definitely not a nod.

Wow, that's friendly.

Reminds me why I moved out west ...

Jan 22, 2017
canada
Got our Model 3 in late December.

Since then, despite eyes keenly peeled, I've seen exactly three others on the road, and that's here in Southern California, where they're supposed to be everywhere.

Then, after seeing three in three months, I saw three within three miles while driving Angeles Crest this afternoon. Bizarre.

Bizarre or not, driving Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest was a blast. Always great in an S. Even better in a 3. And, definitely better than the 3 series, S4, S5, Supra, and 3000GT that I've driven up there over the decades.
I saw my first Model 3 (other than mine) when I was pulling out of a restaurant Friday in Clearwater. Tried to wave but the guy and his girlfriend looked liked they were playing with the screen at a stoplight. I suspect it’ll be a lot more common soon though, as the Tampa delivery center people said they were running back to back deliveries all week through Saturday!

SpiceWare

Sep 5, 2015
Fresno, Texas
Saw my first on the road here in Houston on Monday around 2pm. It was a white one and heading south on S. Rice as I was pulling out of the parking lot for Micro Center.

Pinot.Noir

Feb 28, 2014
Livermore, CA
Does this only work within the same price range i.e. S/X only waive to S/X and M3 waive to M3 or it applies across all models? Who made the rules?
As long as it's a Tesla, I'll gladly wave and give them the thumbs up! Hell, I'll give them a big thumbs up if they are standing next to their Powerwall!

Insight75

May 7, 2017
Mount Olive, New Jersey
Before I got my Model 3, I prayed I wouldn't see one. I wanted to see and drive mine before seeing one in real life. Not sure why. But since I got mine last week, I still have not seen any while driving yet. Weird. And I wave to every Tesla I see. I NEVER get a wave back.

Reactions: Pkmmte

Insight75

May 7, 2017
Mount Olive, New Jersey

Got to love Steeler fans!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MXWing

AviP

Feb 8, 2018
New Canaan, CT
Motorcyclists have the subtle wave (under the handlebar), sports car drivers have the wave (except Ferrari drivers who are just full of themselves), boaters have their vigorous wave (or they won't be spotted), so I don't see why Tesla M3 drivers can't have a wave. A nod only works in special cases like side-by-side stops. Perhaps they should use AP and put both hands out the window.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Pkmmte

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I saw 2 Model S, 2 Model X, and a Model 3 while driving the X in a span of less than 30 seconds.

Could have sworn a good 25% of ALL cars parked at Northwood High School last Sunday was a Tesla.

To think Tesla is going bankwupt is very hard to believe, even coming from the man in the know. :(

Why don't you just give them the finger instead and go full heel instead of just being a self-loathing Tesla owner. :D

Got to love Steeler's fans!

I laughed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC