TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sighting Other 3s -- Eerie Absence, Sudden Confluence

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ForeverFree, Mar 31, 2018.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Got our Model 3 in late December.

Since then, despite eyes keenly peeled, I've seen exactly three others on the road, and that's here in Southern California, where they're supposed to be everywhere.

Then, after seeing three in three months, I saw three within three miles while driving Angeles Crest this afternoon. Bizarre.

Bizarre or not, driving Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest was a blast. Always great in an S. Even better in a 3. And, definitely better than the 3 series, S4, S5, Supra, and 3000GT that I've driven up there over the decades.

• Like x 5
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Tujunga? I have a cousin who lives in Tunjunga, CA.

3. scrapps

scrapps Member

I was thinking about when I start spotting other M3 drivers on the road and if I should try waving/peace sign at them. I've had a WRX for about 7 years now and 90% of other WRX drivers wave/peace sign as they go past. Same with when I was on a motorbike. Figure there's a good chance it might take off with the 3 community :)

• Like x 1
  4. ForeverFree

Indeed!

Big Tujunga Canyon road begins there and winds to 5000 feet, where it joins Angeles Crest Highway, which climbs to just under 8000. Great drive.

5. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

They are all in the bay area. Today I did 30+ mile from Dublin to San Jose. I counted 15!!!

• Like x 3
  6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla owners have waved at each other since the beginning of Tesla. It’s nothing new to “take off” with Model 3s.
    There’s also the famous Tesla nod:

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  7. timk225

timk225 Active Member

#7 timk225, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    If anyone ever tries to Tesla nod or Tesla wave at me once I have my Model 3, I'll ignore them. I'm not their friend and don't need their camaraderie.

Besides, a nod is when the deliberate nodding movement is downwards, not upwards. This is more of a "Tesla chin lift", but it is definitely not a nod.

• Disagree x 7
    • Funny x 1
  8. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Thanks for letting us know, will comply. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Funny x 7
  9. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Yep, Teslas are definitely mainstream now. :rolleyes:

Bruce.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. ForeverFree

Wow, that's friendly.

Reminds me why I moved out west ...

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That’s just what we would expect from you.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  12. Wolverinegeoff

I saw my first Model 3 (other than mine) when I was pulling out of a restaurant Friday in Clearwater. Tried to wave but the guy and his girlfriend looked liked they were playing with the screen at a stoplight. I suspect it’ll be a lot more common soon though, as the Tampa delivery center people said they were running back to back deliveries all week through Saturday!

13. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Saw my first on the road here in Houston on Monday around 2pm. It was a white one and heading south on S. Rice as I was pulling out of the parking lot for Micro Center.

14. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

Does this only work within the same price range i.e. S/X only waive to S/X and M3 waive to M3 or it applies across all models? Who made the rules?

15. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

As long as it's a Tesla, I'll gladly wave and give them the thumbs up! Hell, I'll give them a big thumbs up if they are standing next to their Powerwall!

16. Insight75

Insight75 Member

Before I got my Model 3, I prayed I wouldn't see one. I wanted to see and drive mine before seeing one in real life. Not sure why. But since I got mine last week, I still have not seen any while driving yet. Weird. And I wave to every Tesla I see. I NEVER get a wave back.

• Like x 1
  17. Insight75

Insight75 Member

#17 Insight75, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Got to love Steeler fans!

• Love x 1
  18. AviP

AviP Member

Motorcyclists have the subtle wave (under the handlebar), sports car drivers have the wave (except Ferrari drivers who are just full of themselves), boaters have their vigorous wave (or they won't be spotted), so I don't see why Tesla M3 drivers can't have a wave. A nod only works in special cases like side-by-side stops. Perhaps they should use AP and put both hands out the window.:rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  19. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

Well, that's a pretty good indication S/X dont waive to 3s.o_O

20. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I saw 2 Model S, 2 Model X, and a Model 3 while driving the X in a span of less than 30 seconds.

Could have sworn a good 25% of ALL cars parked at Northwood High School last Sunday was a Tesla.

To think Tesla is going bankwupt is very hard to believe, even coming from the man in the know. :(

Why don't you just give them the finger instead and go full heel instead of just being a self-loathing Tesla owner. :D

I laughed.

• Funny x 3