Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sighting Other 3s -- Eerie Absence, Sudden Confluence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Got our Model 3 in late December.

Since then, despite eyes keenly peeled, I've seen exactly three others on the road, and that's here in Southern California, where they're supposed to be everywhere.

Then, after seeing three in three months, I saw three within three miles while driving Angeles Crest this afternoon. Bizarre.

Bizarre or not, driving Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest was a blast. Always great in an S. Even better in a 3. And, definitely better than the 3 series, S4, S5, Supra, and 3000GT that I've driven up there over the decades.

I was thinking about when I start spotting other M3 drivers on the road and if I should try waving/peace sign at them. I've had a WRX for about 7 years now and 90% of other WRX drivers wave/peace sign as they go past. Same with when I was on a motorbike. Figure there's a good chance it might take off with the 3 community :)

Reactions: T-Will
I was thinking about when I start spotting other M3 drivers on the road and if I should try waving/peace sign at them. I've had a WRX for about 7 years now and 90% of other WRX drivers wave/peace sign as they go past. Same with when I was on a motorbike. Figure there's a good chance it might take off with the 3 community :)
Tesla owners have waved at each other since the beginning of Tesla. It’s nothing new to “take off” with Model 3s.
There’s also the famous Tesla nod:

If anyone ever tries to Tesla nod or Tesla wave at me once I have my Model 3, I'll ignore them. I'm not their friend and don't need their camaraderie.

Besides, a nod is when the deliberate nodding movement is downwards, not upwards. This is more of a "Tesla chin lift", but it is definitely not a nod.

Wow, that's friendly.

Reminds me why I moved out west ...

Got our Model 3 in late December.

Since then, despite eyes keenly peeled, I've seen exactly three others on the road, and that's here in Southern California, where they're supposed to be everywhere.

Then, after seeing three in three months, I saw three within three miles while driving Angeles Crest this afternoon. Bizarre.

Bizarre or not, driving Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest was a blast. Always great in an S. Even better in a 3. And, definitely better than the 3 series, S4, S5, Supra, and 3000GT that I've driven up there over the decades.
I saw my first Model 3 (other than mine) when I was pulling out of a restaurant Friday in Clearwater. Tried to wave but the guy and his girlfriend looked liked they were playing with the screen at a stoplight. I suspect it’ll be a lot more common soon though, as the Tampa delivery center people said they were running back to back deliveries all week through Saturday!

If anyone ever tries to Tesla nod or Tesla wave at me once I have my Model 3, I'll ignore them. I'm not their friend and don't need their camaraderie.

Besides, a nod is when the deliberate nodding movement is downwards, not upwards. This is more of a "Tesla chin lift", but it is definitely not a nod.

Got to love Steeler fans!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MXWing
Motorcyclists have the subtle wave (under the handlebar), sports car drivers have the wave (except Ferrari drivers who are just full of themselves), boaters have their vigorous wave (or they won't be spotted), so I don't see why Tesla M3 drivers can't have a wave. A nod only works in special cases like side-by-side stops. Perhaps they should use AP and put both hands out the window.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Pkmmte
I saw 2 Model S, 2 Model X, and a Model 3 while driving the X in a span of less than 30 seconds.

Could have sworn a good 25% of ALL cars parked at Northwood High School last Sunday was a Tesla.

To think Tesla is going bankwupt is very hard to believe, even coming from the man in the know. :(

Why don't you just give them the finger instead and go full heel instead of just being a self-loathing Tesla owner. :D

Got to love Steeler's fans!

I laughed.