Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature delivery now mid/late January

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't wait for the November 3rd shareholder call. I think we should all take guesses as to what excuses Elon will be giving for claiming the Model X was "delivered" at the end of Q3 when only six hand-built vehicles were given to insiders to beta test and not one single Model X has been delivered since... not even Sig #1 so Elon could claim "deliveries of Signature Model Xs have begun for Q4."

Ridiculous. I hope Elon comes clean, because I'm starting to question the taste of Tesla Kool-Aid. If the car I was promised by "the end of the year" doesn't show up 'til after June 2016, there's a very real chance of cancellation. I can only wait so long due to the imminent termination of my current lease.
Again with this "hand built" stuff. Where is this coming from? We had zero evidence backing up that urban legend. Just because they are short on certain parts and are unable to proceed with high volume manufacturing as a direct result of that, it doesn't mean the Founder cars were "hand built". We had zero reports on manufacturing issues, as in robots not being able to do this or that, that would have forced them to hand build cars.

Also, what does he need to come clean about? Ever since early September we knew there would eb a Founders delivery event at the every end of the month and they would meet the deadline like that. He has also been Vern open about the supplier ramping issues on 2nd row seats and the windshield, as well as on not compromising quality over quantity on these parts. Every single time he was asked about X production ramp he mentioned these things.

Eventually, though, this should have no affect on Q2-3 X deliveries or they would already be considering changing suppliers.

Take this for the little that it is worth probably not much as I don't have pictures and it was just a casual comment. Last week I took my S in for service at the Chicago service center. I asked if they had any idea when they would see an X. They said that they had delivered their first yesterday. I asked if it was a sig and they said no it was a founders series car. I have no idea if this was a "re-delivery" to Chicago of one of the original 6 or if it is an additional founders car. I follow the forums but not avidly enough to even know to ask for additional details. My X reservation is in the low 7000's and having been through the "wait" twice I am trying not to watch too closely until the Sigs are delivered. I did not see the car, so I obviously don't have pictures and I know this means it didn't happen. At the time I assumed that this meant a number of additional founders cars are being released. After reading the forums the past few days I am leaning towards believing that one of the founders had his car redelivered to Chicago after the introduction in CA. So I am just throwing this out as a potential weak data point to those who are following more closely, and as a notice to those who live in the Chicago area to look for an X somewhere in our big hood.

Well, unfortunately I think Tesla's mass manufacturing expertise and experience todate, is more like a Root Canal.....so I think it will be taking the slow winding path through the Root Canal vs the Panama Canal. LOL!

I think, so far, Elon Musk has shown incredible innovation, future forward thinking and tech prowess, but when it comes to executing production and delivery, so far, I think Elon Musk gets a C grade , at best.

Elon Musk and Tesla are woefully behind Apple, and even the legacy manufacturers when it comes to efficient, and super long- term quality 'production' at rates that are required to scale up Tesla into a legitimate auto ' manufacurer '.

Only in that sense, I would say that Elon Musk and Tesla have a lot to prove ..... I am surprised that even JB Straubel seems to stumble and just not have the chops for leading and managing mass manufacturing a la Mercedes, BMW or even Honda. They just have not figured this out yet, and I hope they do in the next 12-18 months.

I am still long and have not sold a share and will not for many, many years.....but I am beginning to think that Elon and JB need to hand over Tesla Auto to Apple, or another company like MB or BMW....I think Stanford and Wharton guys ...and even Silicon Valley guys are phenomenal at tech and innovation, but they are C's when it comes to manufacturing at scale, in a cost efficient manner, where they can generate good margins and sustain long term quality like a Honda , for example.

I think Tesla should focus on Energy Storage ( which will be hugely easier to manufacture at scale ) and hand over Tesla Auto to the non Silicon Valley practical , grind it out everyday kinda folks....like MB , BMW or even Honda or Toyota.

This is their biggest challenge, IMO !

You must be young. Remember the Apple Lisa computer that was a total bust, then the Macintosh that was hyped and hyped and delayed and delayed. Then Apple fired Jobs and brought in a really smart Experienced CEO to fix the company and all its problems and the company was almost destroyed. Then Jobs came back and started inovation back up and it took years to get back on stride again. Apple has a much more storied and tortured past than Tesla at this point in time.

The legacy car example is an even bigger hoot. Name one that has figured out how to build a decent EV. The big boys all build crap range, doofy looking, grocery getters for compliance purposes. The best of the bunch is the Leaf and it has such crap tech the batteries cook themselves when it's warm out.

Name me one smart company that has even come close to rolling out a world wide fueling system in two years. Incredible.

Is building the worlds largest battery factory from scratch.

Maybe those other companies should ask Tesla how they do so much so fast.

No no one is even close to pulling off what Tesla is pulling off. Maybe that's the reason I buy the cars and deal with delays. No one else is even in the game.

Can't wait for the November 3rd shareholder call. I think we should all take guesses as to what excuses Elon will be giving for claiming the Model X was "delivered" at the end of Q3 when only six hand-built vehicles were given to insiders to beta test and not one single Model X has been delivered since...

Honestly, I don't know where stuff like this is coming from. There are prob about 30+ Founders cars and, to the best of my knowledge, those deliveries have been happening. I get regular updates on the status of my X.

When I have a firm date, I'll post it - but I expect a November delivery. The Sigs that have been notified that it will be January are likely further back in the line and/or taking delivery that requires transport out-of-state.

- - - Updated - - -

No no one is even close to pulling off what Tesla is pulling off. Maybe that's the reason I buy the cars and deal with delays. No one else is even in the game.

Exactly. Everything else is talk. I have a Tesla in my garage and will soon have another.

I understand everyone's anxious anticipation, but for me I would rather wait a few more months and get a better product AND have my brand new Model X be a 2016 model for the new year instead of a 2015.

Good point. Our first Model S Signature was rushed out in December 2012 and had lots of problems, including a first road trip-ending failure 200 miles from home in a snowstorm on the way to Christmas with my wife's family. On the other hand, my wife's P85D she insisted not be rushed in December, and that it take its time and be delivered with the next-gen seats. It was delivered just in time for her birthday in late January, and has been faultless ever since.

Take this for the little that it is worth probably not much as I don't have pictures and it was just a casual comment. Last week I took my S in for service at the Chicago service center. I asked if they had any idea when they would see an X. They said that they had delivered their first yesterday. I asked if it was a sig and they said no it was a founders series car. I have no idea if this was a "re-delivery" to Chicago of one of the original 6 or if it is an additional founders car. I follow the forums but not avidly enough to even know to ask for additional details. My X reservation is in the low 7000's and having been through the "wait" twice I am trying not to watch too closely until the Sigs are delivered. I did not see the car, so I obviously don't have pictures and I know this means it didn't happen. At the time I assumed that this meant a number of additional founders cars are being released. After reading the forums the past few days I am leaning towards believing that one of the founders had his car redelivered to Chicago after the introduction in CA. So I am just throwing this out as a potential weak data point to those who are following more closely, and as a notice to those who live in the Chicago area to look for an X somewhere in our big hood.

You might not have pictures, but there are pictures. ;-) ...

Random Model X sightings - Page 14

Random Model X sightings - Page 15

Though I don't get into it much, my late 2012 Model S was, I think, rushed through production. It's had some issues, albeit minor, and isn't as polished on a fit/finish level as I would like. I understood their need to get those cars out and I love my car, warts and all. That said, I would prefer Tesla take the time necessary, now that folks have stopped doubting their ability to deliver cars at all, and make sure the very first Models X are perfect.

As I sit here in my office, thinking about closing the window because of the diesel fumes from the pickup that's been idling outside for the last 10 minutes, I'm reminded again of how the EV revolution needs to be done correctly now so that it doesn't stall.

There are about 40 founders cars for the X roughly. The 6 high profile deliveries that we saw to make the Q3 deadline, and then more have been dribbling out slowly since then on a very limited basis. The NVIDIA CEO took delivery of his founders model today. No idea what number they are up to. Either way each founders model delivered gets Sig production one step closer.

CSWUjcyU8AEaroj.jpg

Our first Model S Signature was rushed out in December 2012 and had lots of problems, including a first road trip-ending failure 200 miles from home in a snowstorm on the way to Christmas with my wife's family.

I'm sorry you had problems with your Signature and there's certainly nothing wrong with having patience and waiting if that makes people more comfortable. However, aren't you jumping to conclusions regarding rushing in December simply based on your experience?

My December 2012 Signature hasn't had those problems. Do we infer from that that yours was rushed in December and mine wasn't? :wink:

Larry

Honestly, I don't know where stuff like this is coming from. There are prob about 30+ Founders cars and, to the best of my knowledge, those deliveries have been happening. I get regular updates on the status of my X.
I'm sure shareholders will be more than impressed that Tesla was able to deliver a whopping 30 cars over the course of 36 days... assuming, of course, that you're not pulling those stats out of thin air either due to wishful thinking. The day the NVIDIA CEO took delivery, this forum knew. So where are all the other Founder deliveries? As if any of them could be kept secret!

I'm sure shareholders will be more than impressed that Tesla was able to deliver a whopping 30 cars over the course of 36 days... assuming, of course, that you're not pulling those stats out of thin air either due to wishful thinking. The day the NVIDIA CEO took delivery, this forum knew. So where are all the other Founder deliveries? As if any of them could be kept secret!

Oooh. Snarky! Totally appropriate. :)

I wasn't trying to say the shareholders will be impressed. I was only pointing out that activities have been happening, that it wasn't the void of 'only 6 have been delivered and now nothing'. Not all the folks receiving Founders are active on social media.