Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature delivery now mid/late January

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem may be completely out of tesla's control for all we know. It may be a vendor issue. You know how vendors are. Overpromise, underdeliver.

Elon: hey we need our second row seats by the end of the Q3 2015, can you do this?

Vendor: Suuurreeeeeee! We're the best in the biz, shouldn't be a problem Musk ol' buddy ol' pal!

Elon: great I'll go with you guys

Vendor: you won't be dissappointed!

fast forward to Oct. 2015

Elon: hey we're kind of getting bitched at here by ... pretty much everyone, do you have our seats ready?

Vendor: you'll have them when they're ready, stop calling.

This problem may be completely out of tesla's control for all we know. It may be a vendor issue. You know how vendors are. Overpromise, underdeliver.

Elon: hey we need our second row seats by the end of the Q3 2015, can you do this?

Vendor: Suuurreeeeeee! We're the best in the biz, shouldn't be a problem Musk ol' buddy ol' pal!

Elon: great I'll go with you guys

Vendor: you won't be dissappointed!

fast forward to Oct. 2015

Elon: hey we're kind of getting bitched at here by ... pretty much everyone, do you have our seats ready?

Vendor: you'll have them when they're ready, stop calling.

Devil's advocate theory (not believing it....but possible)

EM: Hey supplier...We just finished our final decision on the production model, it includes your Gorilla Glass. We need 1,200 units in two weeks...OK?

Supplier: we have sent 15 different prototypes for you to test, which one do you want?

EM: #14, Oh, and BTW, can you rush that shipment

Supplier: Yeah right, you are manufacturing cars now, no one ramps production that fast in our business. BTW: Thanks for your 1,200 order. The BMW plant in SC just placed an order for 5,000 windshields that we already are set up to produce.... wonder whose order we will make first...hmm...we will get them done 'soon'

Devil's advocate theory (not believing it....but possible)

EM: Hey supplier...We just finished our final decision on the production model, it includes your Gorilla Glass. We need 1,200 units in two weeks...OK?

Supplier: we have sent 15 different prototypes for you to test, which one do you want?

EM: #14, Oh, and BTW, can you rush that shipment

Supplier: Yeah right, you are manufacturing cars now, no one ramps production that fast in our business. BTW: Thanks for your 1,200 order. The BMW plant in SC just placed an order for 5,000 windshields that we already are set up to produce.... wonder whose order we will make first...hmm...we will get them done 'soon'
This scenario certainly jives a lot better with the long departed Eds' predictions. I believe they postulated that very few X's would be produced this year precisely because Tesla got final designs of some key components to vendors at the very last minute and that it would take said vendors into November to get production of said components up to any meaningful numbers.

Tried to figure out his config, but couldn't. Hopefully many will get this update soon!

my Sig is 171 but VIN is 116

config attached

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 1.12.36 AM.jpg

Insane, of course. Unless we can afford to be ludicrous.

While I can afford to be Ludicrous I chose to be Insane. This wait is really driving me nuts. I spend too much time reading these forums to try to divine any information. And I'm sorry I ever mentioned to anyone I was buying this car so they wouldn't keep asking me when it was being delivered. ;-)

Mark

While I can afford to be Ludicrous I chose to be Insane. This wait is really driving me nuts. I spend too much time reading these forums to try to divine any information. And I'm sorry I ever mentioned to anyone I was buying this car so they wouldn't keep asking me when it was being delivered. ;-)

Mark

Mark:

Just be comforted by the fact that you aren't alone. I am right there with you. I even know, intellectually, that I am going to be lucky with a December delivery, but yet I still check every few hours to see if there is any news.

I need to face the very real possibility that I will be building up this car to be so great, that there is no way it can meet my expectations...

-jason

As a reference point, here's how production of the Model S supposedly ramped up back in 2012. I don't know how InsideEVs got these numbers, so I have no idea how accurate they are, but they seem believable. On the one hand, I would expect the ramp of the X to be faster, because it's their second mass-produced car, but on the other hand, it's obviously more complex than the S.

Monthly-Plug-In-Sales-2012-Finalv4.png

If this is any guide, we could expect around 140-150 Model X delivered by the end of 2015. The last Founders series would probably be in November.

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but does anybody know if there are any other series' between Founders and Signature? With the S, they had SSL (Signature Special List) and Roadster Friends/Family, but I haven't heard of anything like that for the X.

As a reference point, here's how production of the Model S supposedly ramped up back in 2012. I don't know how InsideEVs got these numbers, so I have no idea how accurate they are, but they seem believable. On the one hand, I would expect the ramp of the X to be faster, because it's their second mass-produced car, but on the other hand, it's obviously more complex than the S.
Tesla was fairly open with their numbers during the initial ramp up of Model S. They provided frequent blog updates with precise numbers of deliveries over the first few months which allowed Inside EVs to track data. The round numbers you start seeing around October are when Tesla stopped giving out monthly data and they were forced to estimate deliveries. This time around with Model X it will be much harder to track the roll out since the sales data is lumped in with Model S.