Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver AWD configurations and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have agreed with you about Electrek until fairly recently. Anyway that's getting off-topic, and Elon's twitter post confirmed this story.

Dropping silver makes some sense to me, even though it's what I ordered. Around our area I see far fewer silver TM3 than other colors.

Good point about KBB. Maybe TM3 buyers don't think of it as a luxury car?

Could also be fashion: I know some folks who got tired of silver because of MacBooks etc. They're all likely TM3 buyers. These days Apple offers alternatives, and I see a lot of new MacBooks in space gray. I guess the TM3 equivalent would be MSM.

Good points. I'd wager early adopters like those with 3/31 and 4/1 dates desire to be different. Silver like the KBB article is the standard for luxury cars, but that's not in my mind a typical early adopter who is more inclined to be tech savvy and wants to stand out from the crowd. Give it a couple years and we'll see the buyer patterns change.

just to report I was playing with the dragy and I got 4.7 0-60 in less than ideal conditions and not really in a straight line. going to find a spot where I can really test the thing...the AWD's are quick!
Congrats on the new ride! How was the car when you picked it up? Any paint or alignment issues? I'm guessing it was a 09/2018 build vs 08/2018?

Oh also - how would you compare 0-60 acceleration with RWD model based on your experience?

Just changed our P3+ AWD from MSM to silver and white interior to black. This new combo is more sporty looking, imo. But it probably didn't help on our wait. We ordered 6/30. Have not heard a word! We still have the edit button. We're 2 hours from the factory and are current owners, since 2013. Not very happy with this process. But I'm glad we were able to make these last-minute changes. That's the silver lining, I suppose.

Congrats on the new ride! How was the car when you picked it up? Any paint or alignment issues? I'm guessing it was a 09/2018 build vs 08/2018?

Oh also - how would you compare 0-60 acceleration with RWD model based on your experience?

Compared to the rwd (which i rented a couple months ago) there is a a somewhat noticeable difference when you floor the peddle. On the rwd it seemed like sometimes when you floored it,it was instant other times a little laggy, so far on the awd its consistently pushes you back....i dont drive crazy but i was HIGHLY DEBATING going to the performance version just because of the test drive; long story short im glad i saved the $11000, No regrets

Hi all! New Team Silver recruit here. I reserved in 7/17, wanting to wait for an AWD. Since the awd pricing and options were announced, I’d been hemming and hawing between a new 3 and a used S at the same price point. The Tesla email about them doing a final silver and black push got me tempted. I called my OA today and he said that the 4-week turnaround was going to be for all trims - not just P. I pulled the trigger on my new commuter sled this afternoon:

Metallic silver
Awd
18” Aeros
White interior
EAP

Woohoo! Now for the last part of the wait...

Update: they're really not ****ing around this quarter. I just got an email to set up delivery for either Friday 9/28 or Saturday 9/29. WOOHOO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JTesmod3
Compared to the rwd (which i rented a couple months ago) there is a a somewhat noticeable difference when you floor the peddle. On the rwd it seemed like sometimes when you floored it,it was instant other times a little laggy, so far on the awd its consistently pushes you back....i dont drive crazy but i was HIGHLY DEBATING going to the performance version just because of the test drive; long story short im glad i saved the $11000, No regrets
Got it. So you're saying it's closer in feel to RWD more than P?

Btw how were the paint and panels on the car?

Got it. So you're saying it's closer in feel to RWD more than P?

Btw how were the paint and panels on the car?

The performance is a whole new level, 1 second might not seen like allot on paper but you definitely feel it when you floor that pedal. Question is, is it worth $11,000? If your on the fence about it, DO NOT TEST DRIVE IT!

Everything was good, I'm picky but I'm not super anal about pulling out a centimeter stick with every little panel gap

Reactions: CarpetMan
The performance is a whole new level, 1 second might not seen like allot on paper but you definitely feel it when you floor that pedal. Question is, is it worth $11,000? If your on the fence about it, DO NOT TEST DRIVE IT!

Everything was good, I'm picky but I'm not super anal about pulling out a centimeter stick with every little panel gap
Yeah I had test driven the Performance a few weeks ago and was impressed with the acceleration. I had also rented a RWD for a day and was totally underwhelmed with the acceleration. Haven't been in an AWD NonP but ordered the AWD in the hopes that it would feel more like the P than the RWD. I agree that the P to me wasn't worth an extra $11K over the AWD. If Tesla offered it for an extra $2-3K over the AWD, I prob would have done it.

Yeah I had test driven the Performance a few weeks ago and was impressed with the acceleration. I had also rented a RWD for a day and was totally underwhelmed with the acceleration. Haven't been in an AWD NonP but ordered the AWD in the hopes that it would feel more like the P than the RWD. I agree that the P to me wasn't worth an extra $11K over the AWD. If Tesla offered it for an extra $2-3K over the AWD, I prob would have done it.

You seem like your on the same boat with me; i don't think you'll be disappointed with the awd...i see your also in southern los angeles angeles where youll have few chances to test that 0-60 because of the traffic :)

I tried for a long time to rationalize the performance, but my commute is almost all grid lock all the time and one short metered on ramp (into stop and go traffic). I paid a lot of attention to what opportunities I would have to go full throttle on a typical commute and my conclusion was 0, maybe 2-3 on a good day but that would only be if I happen to be lucky enough to be first at a light which almost never happened.

If Tesla ever offers a performance upgrade path to awd owners, well that will be torture, but I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually bite.

I tried for a long time to rationalize the performance, but my commute is almost all grid lock all the time and one short metered on ramp (into stop and go traffic). I paid a lot of attention to what opportunities I would have to go full throttle on a typical commute and my conclusion was 0, maybe 2-3 on a good day but that would only be if I happen to be lucky enough to be first at a light which almost never happened.

If Tesla ever offers a performance upgrade path to awd owners, well that will be torture, but I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually bite.

I absolutely agree, if they have some kind of uncorking of the car down the line under 5 figures, it will make me think HARD.

Reactions: hBomb
Just switched from solid black to silver today via the backdoor link. Hopefully it doesn’t cause any problems.

I noticed that the email said that orders placed before Friday would be prioritized but I can’t imagine they’d have enough special orders this week to justify a separate run so I assume they’re gonna wait until the end of this week and then make all of the silver/obm orders all at once.

Btw it was still only $1000 for me via the link.

Just switched from solid black to silver today via the backdoor link. Hopefully it doesn’t cause any problems.

I noticed that the email said that orders placed before Friday would be prioritized but I can’t imagine they’d have enough special orders this week to justify a separate run so I assume they’re gonna wait until the end of this week and then make all of the silver/obm orders all at once.

Btw it was still only $1000 for me via the link.
Doubt this unless they're doing two separate runs. Lots of AWD silvers scheduled for delivery this weekend/ next week. Doubt they're doing a run over the weekend so my guess is they're probably estimating demand with some small buffer - any extra cars in those colors they don't sell probably go to demo or loaner stock.