Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

simple partitioning of big ssd for dashcam and music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was uncertain myself and I have noticed some posts illustrating other people were uncertain too about how to partition and initialise a big ssd (Samsung T5 in my case) for use both as a repository for dashcam/sentry and also for music (or language tuition in my case). So here is a screen dump of a freely available and powerful disk partition tool, gparted, running on linux
Screenshot_2020-12-27_12-03-45.png

where the big ssd has been divided into two nearly identically sized partitions, both formatted to fat32.

The only other thing is to place a directory or folder called teslacam (case unimportant in fat32) in the TESLA partition.

I hope this helps some and doesn't irritate too many by its simplicity.

Worth reiterating that a huge partition for dashcam is not needed as the car constantly overwrites all but the last 60 minutes of video unless you specifically save a clip, or sentry is triggered. So a large partition will only mean that it has more space to store stale events that will clog up the dashcam viewer clips list - imho most people seem to be after an easy way to minimise this list rather than store years worth of 10 minute clips with a couple of seconds of potential peril.

There are simple guides around, this one also covers what you need to get custom boombox audio, not that we seem to have the speaker in the UK. While Linux is great, I imagine few home users will have it, so the free windows tool mentioned in the article may be of use to some.

Tesla storage set-up for sentry mode, dashcam and boombox

Yours, like this one I find refreshing compared to the million youtube videos that everyone seems to post which do little other than show you have to do 3 mouse clicks!

BUT, you can't format the drive with 2 partitions in the car. It's better to use a hub and have two USB drives becuase when it's full with sentry events you can just format the drive in the car.

PS I will only look back at sentry events if I find damage on the car...

A
Worth reiterating that a huge partition for dashcam is not needed as the car constantly overwrites all but the last 60 minutes of video unless you specifically save a clip, or sentry is triggered. So a large partition will only mean that it has more space to store stale events that will clog up the dashcam viewer clips list - imho most people seem to be after an easy way to minimise this list rather than store years worth of 10 minute clips with a couple of seconds of potential peril.
I posted this exact question on another thread! In your opinion is there an optimal size to devote to the dashcam partition?