TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Simultaneously Pairing Two Bluetooth Devices

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Struja, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Struja

Struja Struja

Hello folks. I have been trying to find a thread on the subject but can't seen to find one.

If there is one, please send me the link and the mods can merge this one with it...

If not, here are my questions...

1. Can you simultaneously pair two bluetooth devices with my Model S? So, for example... I connect my phone as a phone but my kids connect their ipod touch as a "media player" at the same time? I can do it in my wife's RX so I am sure I can do it in my car but I just can seem to figure it out.

2. When I do connect my phone (I have an Android phone), can I only connect it as a phone and not as a media player? I want to do this, so I can listen to the radio/stream music but still hear waze giving me voice commands.

Thanks for you help.

2. StefanSarzio

StefanSarzio Member

1.) You can PAIR multiple devices, but only one can be connected at a time.

2.) It should automatically work like that.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Can’t connect two devices at the same time on Tesla’s Bluetooth system — for a company that’s supposed to be all about tech, it’s the Bluetooth dark ages

• Like x 1
  4. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

It is true that you can pair multiple devices and that only one is "active". The nice thing in the Tesla over other cars i've had is that you don't have to manually select which one is active. It picks the first one it sees as the active one. You can still switch if that is not the one you wanted.
    Never thought about using my phone as a connected phone and a separate BT device as a media player at the same time. No more young kids in the back of my car though.

5. Max*

Max* Banned

I wouldn't call that nice. It would be nice if it were paired to the key fobs. That way when my wife drives, her phone is paired. And when I drive mine is paired. [assuming both of us are in the car]

I guess that's too much to ask, they can't even get the key fobs to recognize who approaches the drivers door with 100% certainty.

• Like x 3
  6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Yes, I thought about that too and it would be a good option. I find myself driving the car more often with my wife's phone being the one that is paired as we use her calendar entries to navigate to appointments. It is probably a weird use case and the pairing to the fob might work better for most people.

• Like x 1
  7. Struja

Struja Struja

Yeah, that's a bummer because I like getting the voice commands over my music when using Waze, only you can't do that if my phone is connected as a Media player.

It is a bit of shame since I know many cars can do it.

8. Struja

Struja Struja

What do you mean? Right now when I connect it automatically connects as phone and medial player. I want to know if I can disconnect it as a media player while keeping it connected as a phone?

9. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Not sure how to do this on Android, but on an iPhone you basically use the Control Center to select the phone's speaker as an output device, instead of the Bluetooth device (the Tesla). The Tesla maintains its device connection, but your phone just wouldn't send any audio to the car. Back on the Tesla you can pick another audio source (e.g. USB, FM radio, etc.) and it'll get paused when you get a phone call, etc., all the right stuff.

I'm sure Android has a way to do this.

Bruce.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. Struja

Struja Struja

Thanks Bruce. I will give it a shot.

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

My phone is linked as the primary, with Teresa as additional. Only my phone will work if both are in the car. To enable her phone, I simply turn mine off. It defers to hers until I turn mine back on.
    Pretty simple and effective.

12. StefanSarzio

StefanSarzio Member

I misunderstood your question, sorry.

You can disable connecting it as a media player on your phone. When connected go to the Bluetooth settings on the phone, select the car and disable media playback. You only have to do that once.

13. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

Easier to just press the bluetooth icon on the screen. You'll see both phones listed, click the other one to switch the active phone.