Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simultaneously Pairing Two Bluetooth Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks. I have been trying to find a thread on the subject but can't seen to find one.

If there is one, please send me the link and the mods can merge this one with it...

If not, here are my questions...

1. Can you simultaneously pair two bluetooth devices with my Model S? So, for example... I connect my phone as a phone but my kids connect their ipod touch as a "media player" at the same time? I can do it in my wife's RX so I am sure I can do it in my car but I just can seem to figure it out.

2. When I do connect my phone (I have an Android phone), can I only connect it as a phone and not as a media player? I want to do this, so I can listen to the radio/stream music but still hear waze giving me voice commands.

Thanks for you help.

It is true that you can pair multiple devices and that only one is "active". The nice thing in the Tesla over other cars i've had is that you don't have to manually select which one is active. It picks the first one it sees as the active one. You can still switch if that is not the one you wanted.
Never thought about using my phone as a connected phone and a separate BT device as a media player at the same time. No more young kids in the back of my car though.

The nice thing in the Tesla over other cars i've had is that you don't have to manually select which one is active. It picks the first one it sees as the active one.
I wouldn't call that nice. It would be nice if it were paired to the key fobs. That way when my wife drives, her phone is paired. And when I drive mine is paired. [assuming both of us are in the car]

I guess that's too much to ask, they can't even get the key fobs to recognize who approaches the drivers door with 100% certainty.

I wouldn't call that nice. It would be nice if it were paired to the key fobs. That way when my wife drives, her phone is paired. And when I drive mine is paired. [assuming both of us are in the car]

I guess that's too much to ask, they can't even get the key fobs to recognize who approaches the drivers door with 100% certainty.
Yes, I thought about that too and it would be a good option. I find myself driving the car more often with my wife's phone being the one that is paired as we use her calendar entries to navigate to appointments. It is probably a weird use case and the pairing to the fob might work better for most people.

Reactions: StarLog and Max*
Can’t connect two devices at the same time on Tesla’s Bluetooth system — for a company that’s supposed to be all about tech, it’s the Bluetooth dark ages

Yeah, that's a bummer because I like getting the voice commands over my music when using Waze, only you can't do that if my phone is connected as a Media player.

It is a bit of shame since I know many cars can do it.

What do you mean? Right now when I connect it automatically connects as phone and medial player. I want to know if I can disconnect it as a media player while keeping it connected as a phone?

Not sure how to do this on Android, but on an iPhone you basically use the Control Center to select the phone's speaker as an output device, instead of the Bluetooth device (the Tesla). The Tesla maintains its device connection, but your phone just wouldn't send any audio to the car. Back on the Tesla you can pick another audio source (e.g. USB, FM radio, etc.) and it'll get paused when you get a phone call, etc., all the right stuff.

I'm sure Android has a way to do this.

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc and Struja
Not sure how to do this on Android, but on an iPhone you basically use the Control Center to select the phone's speaker as an output device, instead of the Bluetooth device (the Tesla). The Tesla maintains its device connection, but your phone just wouldn't send any audio to the car. Back on the Tesla you can pick another audio source (e.g. USB, FM radio, etc.) and it'll get paused when you get a phone call, etc., all the right stuff.

I'm sure Android has a way to do this.

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce. I will give it a shot.

What do you mean? Right now when I connect it automatically connects as phone and medial player. I want to know if I can disconnect it as a media player while keeping it connected as a phone?

I misunderstood your question, sorry.

You can disable connecting it as a media player on your phone. When connected go to the Bluetooth settings on the phone, select the car and disable media playback. You only have to do that once.

I misunderstood your question, sorry.

You can disable connecting it as a media player on your phone. When connected go to the Bluetooth settings on the phone, select the car and disable media playback. You only have to do that once.

@StefanSarzio How do you disable media playback on the phone? Where is the option? I am trying to simultaneously connect my iPhone for calls only and an iPod for media only.

I would like this functionality also, since V3.0 will not have any RF/XM functionality. I want to simply extend my XM receiver by adding bluetooth (maybe a small display) and be able to stream it to the car seamlessly without losing basic phone functionality. I admit we will probably never see this since their have always been other quirks that have never been addressed.

Can’t connect two devices at the same time on Tesla’s Bluetooth system — for a company that’s supposed to be all about tech, it’s the Bluetooth dark ages
I'm not sure how any blue tooth device would know which phone it's suppose to be responding to. BT can link to multiple devices but only take input from one at a time. At least that's how it works on all my BT speakers, wemo, etc.

Going to be interesting to see how things work with 2021 MS's. Kids controlling things from the rear and multiple screens. I suspect you'll tell each screen which linked controlling phone it's suppose to take commands from. And I'll bet we'll have growing pains at first. Got no kids so it won't affect me but for some it could be a nightmare. Then again maybe not.

The RV we purchased last year (based on a 2019 Mercedes Sprinter chassis) supports having two BT phones connected at the same time.

Calls received on either phone are routed to the MBUX system - which provides an easy way to transfer the call back to the phone, if you don't want the call to go through the speaker system.

Disappointing that Tesla does not yet support this feature - clearly it's not a technology restriction - unless Tesla has to pay an additional licensing fee to someone to have more than one simultaneous connection.