Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since 8.0 Update, X is Misbehaving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI

On Friday night, I updated the Software to 8.0 on my new X 90D. Since that update, I've noticed some weirdness in my car. Here are a few issues:

1. Auto-present driver door is sporadic, at best--working correctly sometimes, not-at-all other times, and refusing to open the correct amount on other occasions

2. Exiting the car, walking away and then pushing the "Lock" function on the remote usually doesn't work. Sometimes the car keeps running--and loud.

3. Auto-lane-change is Russian Roulette. Twice, with a car in my blind spot, I have intentionally signaled to change lanes. On both occasions, X just proceeded to change lanes with no regard for the vehicle that was there. Of course, I overrode the function.

3. Auto-lane-change is Russian Roulette. Twice, with a car in my blind spot, I have intentionally signaled to change lanes. On both occasions, X just proceeded to change lanes with no regard for the vehicle that was there. Of course, I overrode the function.

Isn't that pretty much how it is supposed to work. You tell AP that it is clear to change lanes, and unless it sees something it just does it. You are supposed to make sure it is clear before you tell AP to change lanes. (Because it can't tell if it is safe or not.)

I don't think that is how it is supposed to work. Maybe I was unclear about "blind spot." More accurately, the other vehicles have been in my blind spot and advancing. If my X proceeded, there would have been an accident. By comparison, prior to 8.0 the X did not want to change lanes into an oncoming vehicle. It would wait, accelerate or slow down until safe(r).

I don't think that is how it is supposed to work. Maybe I was unclear about "blind spot." More accurately, the other vehicles have been in my blind spot and advancing. If my X proceeded, there would have been an accident. By comparison, prior to 8.0 the X did not want to change lanes into an oncoming vehicle. It would wait, accelerate or slow down until safe(r).

My understanding, at least with my S, is that it should NOT change lanes if it detects an object in its path. Obviously you the driver should check, but it still should not attempt to move over if there is something there. I don;t know how big a blind spot AP has in that case, but I would assume it is essentially zero.

habanero69 is correct. I have 11,000 miles on my X and have not upgraded to 8.0 yet (car is in the shop since last week getting a defective high-power harness and cable replaced). I have driven at least half of the 11,000 miles on AP and used lane-change extensively. It has always sensed a vehicle in the new lane and refused to change until it was clear in front and behind. I hope that doesn't change in 8.0. I'll report back in a couple of days after I get my car back.

My understanding, at least with my S, is that it should NOT change lanes if it detects an object in its path. Obviously you the driver should check, but it still should not attempt to move over if there is something there. I don;t know how big a blind spot AP has in that case, but I would assume it is essentially zero.

Isn't that what I said? But here is a quote from Tesla on how it is supposed to work: "To change lanes, the driver must first visually confirm it is safe to do so, just as he would when driving manually. He must then express his intention to change lanes by activating the turn signal while holding the steering wheel. Only then, and in response to a driver command certifying that the maneuver is safe, will the car change lanes."

Was the IC showing that your Model X detected the vehicle in your blind spot, or was it in the blind spot for its sensors as well? And according to Tesla you aren't supposed to signal when using AP until it is safe to change lanes.

Of course the Attorneys put the onus on the driver; they have to. It's worth noting that back when I did my Test Drive, the Tesla employee in the passenger seat told me to signal for a lane change--and watch the car work its AP magic. X avoided traffic and, by adjusting the speed, found a safe merge point and completed the feat. It's different now.

With only ultrasonic sensor and no blindspot radar, basically X can't reliably detect vehicle at the blindspot. I have to say the lane change in v8 is much smoother than in v7.1 ... so if it hits a car at the blindspot, it should be a smooth crash.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've driven at least 5,000 miles on AP and used lane change extensively. It has never failed to sense a car in the adjoining lane and has never made an unsafe lane change. In fact it is, at times, too conservative. I expect to load 8.0 tomorrow. I'll report on whether it changes after I've had a chance to use it.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've driven at least 5,000 miles on AP and used lane change extensively. It has never failed to sense a car in the adjoining lane and has never made an unsafe lane change. In fact it is, at times, too conservative. I expect to load 8.0 tomorrow. I'll report on whether it changes after I've had a chance to use it.

Unfortunately, Tesla only uses ultrasonic sensors for blindspot detection, the effective range of these devices is 16 feet, inadequate for safely locating vehicles approaching from the rear in adjacent lanes in highway speed. I wouldn't depend on it without looking at the blindspot myself. Most cars use radar/camera for blindspot detection. If I can't rely on it for the blindspot, I just can't rely on it for lane change.

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

On the other hand, I do notice the AP keeping a much far away distance from the car at front even though it is a more comfortable/smooth experience comparing with the v7.1. It just makes the heavy traffic AP less effective with way more vehicles cutting in front. :confused:

Isn't that what I said? But here is a quote from Tesla on how it is supposed to work: "To change lanes, the driver must first visually confirm it is safe to do so, just as he would when driving manually. He must then express his intention to change lanes by activating the turn signal while holding the steering wheel. Only then, and in response to a driver command certifying that the maneuver is safe, will the car change lanes."

The RED seems contradicting to me:

Isn't that pretty much how it is supposed to work. You tell AP that it is clear to change lanes, and unless it sees something it just does it. You are supposed to make sure it is clear before you tell AP to change lanes. >>>>> (Because it can't tell if it is safe or not.) <<<<<

Reactions: KBurbridge14
FYI

On Friday night, I updated the Software to 8.0 on my new X 90D. Since that update, I've noticed some weirdness in my car. Here are a few issues:

1. Auto-present driver door is sporadic, at best--working correctly sometimes, not-at-all other times, and refusing to open the correct amount on other occasions

2. Exiting the car, walking away and then pushing the "Lock" function on the remote usually doesn't work. Sometimes the car keeps running--and loud.

They changed Auto Present to get rid of the repeat opening if you are in the proximity of the drivers door. Its in the release notes. Once you exit and walk away, the door closes. It will NOT reopen unless the key fob is out of range of the car (don't recall the time frame but think it was 30 seconds). This prevents the door opening and closing as you walk around the X to access another door, or get out of your garage.

I have no issue so far with the door not working correctly. In the garage, due to my spacing, it will not open fully. Be sure to test Auto present in an open area to validate.

I can speak to lane change. I only signal, when I checked the on-coming lane. Not that I don't trust it, just that I don't want the driver in the other lane to assume I am moving in that lane without clearance. If I am in traffic, I prefer manual mode and will shut off auto pilot.

They changed Auto Present to get rid of the repeat opening if you are in the proximity of the drivers door. Its in the release notes. Once you exit and walk away, the door closes. It will NOT reopen unless the key fob is out of range of the car (don't recall the time frame but think it was 30 seconds). This prevents the door opening and closing as you walk around the X to access another door, or get out of your garage.

I have no issue so far with the door not working correctly. In the garage, due to my spacing, it will not open fully. Be sure to test Auto present in an open area to validate.

I can speak to lane change. I only signal, when I checked the on-coming lane. Not that I don't trust it, just that I don't want the driver in the other lane to assume I am moving in that lane without clearance. If I am in traffic, I prefer manual mode and will shut off auto pilot.

Auto-Present doesn't work at all. Sounds like corrupt software. Scheduled service for Thursday.

In almost a week of driving with v8 on my Model X (and over 10,000 miles with AP on v7), it has worked flawlessly, and the AP is very noticeably smoother. For me, the v8 update is an improvement in almost every way. Very happy with it. There's lots of things I wish for and could be better, but v8 is definitely much better than v7.

Yeah, my auto present door is sporadic at best. It usually opens an inch, then I have to pull it open. 1st world problems i suppose but not what we paid for. The auto steer is worse in my opinion. I have to take control many more times, especially as it follows the right line more that the left (usa) and lurches to the right at exits. Looks like drunk driving the way it tries to follow the road. Any comments on the blue navigation line? v7.0 flowed, now V8 looks like a series of broken straight lines and very unprofessional.