Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Single Piece Casting" - Does it matter to the consumer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So apparently the Model Y's split casting is now one piece. Does it matter to us as drivers or is it mostly an efficiency improvement / cost savings at the factory?

Will it lead to better body panel fitment since the whole casing should be straight and true?

I'm sure it has benefits for drivers like reduced weight and body stiffness.

The upfront tooling cost are huge so I don't think Tesla will actually see savings for a while even with the reduced manufacturing complexity.

So apparently the Model Y's split casting is now one piece. Does it matter to us as drivers or is it mostly an efficiency improvement / cost savings at the factory?

Will it lead to better body panel fitment since the whole casing should be straight and true?

It simplifies, quickens, and costs less to manufacture. This means it will lower the cost (eventually) for a consumer to purchase. For the rare person who is in an accident where insurance doesnt total the vehicle it will cost insurance company more to repair.

Kinda funny, but so typical of anything Tesla..

- Tesla introduces an incredibly expensive manufacturing improvement that no other OEM can provide ==> garners little to no attention

- Tesla has a strap on the LCC on early builds ==> massive thread(s) with trolls piling in, goes viral

At this time there's marginal benefit to the consumer. By reading all of these threads about folks nerding out over single piece casting would have you think otherwise.

Does it matter to us as drivers or is it mostly an efficiency improvement / cost savings at the factory?
Potentially the introduction of the single piece casting allowed Tesla to offer both the Standard Range and Seven Seat Interior options. Unclear when existing AWD/Performance models will see the benefits (likely with price reduction?)…

Elon Musk did say this is "engineering nerd stuff" not really for the average person, but it has a really big effect on ease of manufacturing so costs are much less and "30% reduction in the size of the body shop."

Basically means slightly cheaper for Tesla to build, maybe leading to a slightly cheaper purchase price for a consumer. But, more expensive for consumer to get repairs.

It simplifies, quickens, and costs less to manufacture. This means it will lower the cost (eventually) for a consumer to purchase. For the rare person who is in an accident where insurance doesnt total the vehicle it will cost insurance company more to repair.

Show me that it is rare for an insurance company to deem a car as total loss. Especially with new cars, the repair estimate most time has to be over 90% of value for it to be deemed a total.

Aside: There's lots of value in a Tesla that is deemed a total loss. It'd be nice if the owner had the option of keeping and striping it for parts instead of surrendering it for the insurance money.

Show me that it is rare for an insurance company to deem a car as total loss. Especially with new cars, the repair estimate most time has to be over 90% of value for it to be deemed a total.

That has to be the most chaotic manufacturing facility I have seen.
Much of it is tents. Junk and trash are everywhere.
Tesla needs to fire the plant manager yesterday!
It’s a wonder they can produce cars.
I guess you never seen an oil refinery..

Exxon_Mobil_oil_refinery_-_Baton_Rouge_Louisiana1-f288811f21754c8da02c51f68f83827b.jpg