Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM Disconnect Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just came from my 3rd service appt at Tesla to fix the radio. They said they had never heard of the XM cutting out, switching to FM even though I nver listen to FM. I got pretty mad and said they were being disengenious saying they weren't aware of this problem. They mentioned that they couldn't even find anything written about it so I went home and googled it and of course found all this identical complaints. There must be a way to compel them to fix this problem.

My XM (new) app still switches to the old style where it’s in the old fm category when ever my car connects to my home WiFi. After a couple miles down the road on LTE the XM app shows up In the app tray and the XM icons come back. So stupid.

My XM (new) app still switches to the old style where it’s in the old fm category when ever my car connects to my home WiFi. After a couple miles down the road on LTE the XM app shows up In the app tray and the XM icons come back. So stupid.

Consider yourself lucky -- I'd prefer the older interface. I could direct tune, and the channels actually lined up with their content. I routinely find channels "out of place"... (i.e. tune Yacht Rock and get Pop Rocks instead, etc...)

Reactions: davezforce
Our Model S SirusXM Radio continually cuts out for seconds to a minute. Also, the favorites button stops working for SiriusXM favorites, even though the favorite stations remain starred. We have to unstrap (un-favorite) each of our favorite stations and then re-star them in the order we want, to get the favorites button an the steering wheel working. It will work for minutes to a day, typically, before going out again.

Yesterday I had XM and FM both cut out for the second time that I can remember on my 2016 X, both occurrences coming post MCU2-infotainment-upgrade. I did the two-thumbwheel-reboot, and both resumed working normally.

While the issue was happening, I could select an XM channel and even see the programming info (ie what song was supposed to be playing) but there was just no sound.

As far as I can tell from this thread no one has mentioned MCU2 upgrade until now: I do recall that the reason you had to pay extra for an FM/XM upgrade after the MCU2 upgrade was something as simple as the old MCU1 expected analog signals but MCU2 could only receive digital signals and they needed to add something in the signal chain to accommodate this. If that's really the case (and if you look at photos of the MCU2 unit, the signal now comes into what looks like an Ethernet port) then I could imagine lots of ways you could have intermittent radio/network problems that go away if you just reset everything with a reboot.

Yesterday I had XM and FM both cut out for the second time that I can remember on my 2016 X, both occurrences coming post MCU2-infotainment-upgrade. I did the two-thumbwheel-reboot, and both resumed working normally.

While the issue was happening, I could select an XM channel and even see the programming info (ie what song was supposed to be playing) but there was just no sound.

As far as I can tell from this thread no one has mentioned MCU2 upgrade until now: I do recall that the reason you had to pay extra for an FM/XM upgrade after the MCU2 upgrade was something as simple as the old MCU1 expected analog signals but MCU2 could only receive digital signals and they needed to add something in the signal chain to accommodate this. If that's really the case (and if you look at photos of the MCU2 unit, the signal now comes into what looks like an Ethernet port) then I could imagine lots of ways you could have intermittent radio/network problems that go away if you just reset everything with a reboot.
What’s the 2 thumbwheel reboot? My Sirius and FM cut out earlier this week and no luck getting them back yet. Streaming music works fine.

just came from my 3rd service appt at Tesla to fix the radio. They said they had never heard of the XM cutting out, switching to FM even though I nver listen to FM. I got pretty mad and said they were being disengenious saying they weren't aware of this problem. They mentioned that they couldn't even find anything written about it so I went home and googled it and of course found all this identical complaints. There must be a way to compel them to fix this problem.
Just found this thread. My brand new Tesla S also has wonky SiriusXM. it constantly disappears and then comes back. never had this issue with my Audi.