Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRIUS XM PROBLEMS (AGAIN), THIS TIME WITH FAVORITES

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this:

To whom it may concern

I have a 2021 Tesla LR. My name and email address are registered. This is my 3rd Tesla.

The up and down buttons on the scroll wheel left side of the steering wheel cannot move among favorite SiriusXM channels like they used to in my older Model S, they just increase or decrease the channel by one. When you press a favorite it goes to "more like this". That is NOT safe. I have to keep looking at the screen to get to a favorite station. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 screen actions to go to the next favorite. I would have NEVER BOUGHT THIS CAR if I had known that Tesla would put the audio Sirius Xm system into the dark ages. I keep waiting for you to fix it but it's been a year now.

Your technicians seem confused, to say the least, about the proper functioning of the recent/favorites bar.

I look forward to your prompt attention. Furthermore, this is a very well known defect in this over 100,000$ car. Cars half the price have better functioning audio systems.

I want to know how you are going to compensate me. This really ruins my drive. I have to use the system o the phone now and that makes it even more dangerous.

UPDATE:
Tesla technician told me they reinstalled the firmware but the problem remains. They blame SiriusXM for the app. I don't know if the app is designed by SiriusXM or by Tesla. I asked them for proof that the app is designed by SiriusXM.

SiriusXM customer support told me that Tesla is responsible for design and maintenance of the SiriusXM app used with the satellite radio in Tesla cars. Would not give that to me in writing.

Last edited:
I received a response to my pre-arbitration notice sent to Tesla. They are sending a mobile technician to my house. Supposedly there is one guy in the Pomona service center who is familiar with the exact issue and knows how to work around the problem. I will report back and hope he is not being oversold.

Reactions: DBV1
I’m not sure what you are expecting to achieve. A tech cannot help with Tesla’s change on accessing Sirius channels. It’s just a bad design and favorites are harder to access both on the screen and with scroll wheel.
What "change on accessing Sirius channels." If there has been an intentional change or "nerfing" of the ability to pin favorites to the favorites bar and navigate through them with the steering wheel, where is that documented in the release notes? Since this was first discovered by me a few months back, I have NEVER been given a straight answer by any Tesla employee as to whether this was an intended change or an unintended bug.

I know some complain it has been hard to use favorites with SiriusXM channels "all the time" or for a very long time, the pinning favorites/scroll buttons features were working fine for me until a few months ago.

I reviewed earlier posts above. It appears the 2021+ Model S favorites feature does not work correctly with SiriusXM channels and never did, while the 2020 model (which I have) was only broken around August 2022. Perhaps the technician has figured out a way to fix the earlier models but not the 2021+ models.

What "change on accessing Sirius channels." If there has been an intentional change or "nerfing" of the ability to pin favorites to the favorites bar and navigate through them with the steering wheel, where is that documented in the release notes? Since this was first discovered by me a few months back, I have NEVER been given a straight answer by any Tesla employee as to whether this was an intended change or an unintended bug.

I know some complain it has been hard to use favorites with SiriusXM channels "all the time" or for a very long time, the pinning favorites/scroll buttons features were working fine for me until a few months ago.
You’re right. Tesla broke the Sirius on Favorites recently. And ability to move through Favorites via scroll wheel clicks (instead of sequentially through channels) has been a problem for quite some time. There is no fix except for a firmware design change unfortunately. Tesla does not publish most “minor” changes nor bug fixes in the release notes. My car buzzed when off for the last month, and finally got fix with 2022.36.2 with no mention either way.

Maybe Tesla does not publish "minor changes or bug fixes" to the general public but you can bet they do to the technicians and that is who claimed he knows how to fix this. Otherwise, why schedule a mobile visit. Let's see what the tech has to say tomorrow. If it turns out this is a firmware design change that is not going to be fixed, then I believe I will proceed with my arbitration. I know it may seem trivial to some, but I attribute a non-inconsequential value of my payment to this feature.

Maybe Tesla does not publish "minor changes or bug fixes" to the general public but you can bet they do to the technicians and that is who claimed he knows how to fix this. Otherwise, why schedule a mobile visit. Let's see what the tech has to say tomorrow. If it turns out this is a firmware design change that is not going to be fixed, then I believe I will proceed with my arbitration. I know it may seem trivial to some, but I attribute a non-inconsequential value of my payment to this feature.
Thanks for doing this. Excited to see what they do!

They need favorites, presets, whatever they want to call it, where they are fixed and we can scroll through. It is downright dangerous it is not that way. Sirius never shows up in favorites and the favorites or recents displayed are never in order of most recent used. Some of mine are even from songs played last Dec. How can it be that hard to fix this? Every single car except Tesla has this!

And why can’t they add it to the driver console on the refresh X/S. Absolutely insane favorites, album art is not displayed on the drivers console. Enough excuses Tesla. Take .5% of your time away from FSD and fix your media UI for refresh S/X!

Reactions: CaptUAL
I received a response to my pre-arbitration notice sent to Tesla. They are sending a mobile technician to my house. Supposedly there is one guy in the Pomona service center who is familiar with the exact issue and knows how to work around the problem. I will report back and hope he is not being oversold.

make sure you keep them there for a while to watch the favorites and recents disappear after a certain period.

I am able to get the favorites to show in the bar and scroll with the wheel if I remove and re-add them all (even then that seems flaky, sometimes it scrolls thru them all, sometimes only a few before going back to the first), but they ALWAYS disappear after some time. usually about 30 mins but there's no rhyme or reason as to how long it takes...but they always do disappear at some point.

I received a call from the local Tesla dealer. It was kinda out of the blue but I appreciated it. He was responding to the favorites issue post 2022 Model S car that I have been having (referenced in other posts and an email to their legal department ). His response was to write up a ticket for the devs. He admitted it doesn't work. He said hopefully they update it. But this is how it's supposed to be according to him.

If you get this fixed please let us know. It seems as if it's a firmware/software issue and not at the top of the priority.

The technician came and reset my system (removing all power), we then unpinned all the favorites and pinned about 10 SiriusXM channels as favorites. Tested, exited car and restarted car and tested again over 10 minutes. It worked. Favorites remained pinned to bar and steering wheel controls worked to advance from favorite to favorite.

After he left, I Checked again about 1 hour later after reading crackers8199's post. Sure enough, all the SiriusXM favorites were gone from the favorites bar and steering wheel controls no longer worked as intended. I notified Tesla support.

It's not clear if the car has to be off for 30 minutes OR that this would happen 30-60 minutes later even if car was being driven somewhere. Will have to test that next time I have a long drive.

Reactions: crackers8199
The technician came and reset my system (removing all power), we then unpinned all the favorites and pinned about 10 SiriusXM channels as favorites. Tested, exited car and restarted car and tested again over 10 minutes. It worked. Favorites remained pinned to bar and steering wheel controls worked to advance from favorite to favorite.

After he left, I Checked again about 1 hour later after reading crackers8199's post. Sure enough, all the SiriusXM favorites were gone from the favorites bar and steering wheel controls no longer worked as intended. I notified Tesla support.

It's not clear if the car has to be off for 30 minutes OR that this would happen 30-60 minutes later even if car was being driven somewhere. Will have to test that next time I have a long drive.

even on a long drive, it will still reset at some point. i just did a road trip from the LA area to the bay area and back a few weeks ago, and it randomly would reset at various points throughout that drive.

the radio is resetting itself every so often, and when it does the favorites get nuked from the favorite bar and you start all over (it goes back to the sequential scrolling via the wheel rather than favorites). the length of time after which it resets seems to be random, or at least i haven't noticed a pattern.

there are two ways i've been able to notice when it resets itself:

1) the radio ID will pop up on the "now playing bar" briefly before going back to whatever station you have on. this one you might not notice though if you're not looking, or if you don't have the now playing bar up on the screen.

2) if you're in a different screen in the SXM app (such as one of the channel listings or the "related content" page for a channel), it will go back to your favorites list without any interaction from you.

i suppose that the good thing, here, is that based on them sending this tech out to "fix" it for you (even if the "fix" only lasted a few minutes) seems to indicate that it is in fact supposed to work the way it worked before, where the scroll wheel cycled through favorites and not sequentially by channel. hopefully, that means they'll also fix it, at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Last edited:
even on a long drive, it will still reset at some point. i just did a road trip from the LA area to the bay area and back a few weeks ago, and it randomly would reset at various points throughout that drive.

the radio is resetting itself every so often, and when it does the favorites get nuked from the favorite bar and you start all over (it goes back to the sequential scrolling via the wheel rather than favorites). the length of time after which it resets seems to be random, or at least i haven't noticed a pattern.

there are two ways i've been able to notice when it resets itself:

1) the radio ID will pop up on the "now playing bar" briefly before going back to whatever station you have on. this one you might not notice though if you're not looking, or if you don't have the now playing bar up on the screen.

2) if you're in a different screen in the SXM app (such as one of the channel listings or the "related content" page for a channel), it will go back to your favorites list without any interaction from you.

i suppose that the good thing, here, is that based on them sending this tech out to "fix" it for you (even if the "fix" only lasted a few minutes) seems to indicate that it is in fact supposed to work the way it worked before, where the scroll wheel cycled through favorites and not sequentially by channel. hopefully, that means they'll also fix it, at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later).
Crackers, please email me directly at my law office, [email protected].

I intend to proceed to the next legal step and you would be a good witness or perhaps you would like to join my effort.

Reactions: crackers8199
Crackers, please email me directly at my law office, [email protected].

I intend to proceed to the next legal step and you would be a good witness or perhaps you would like to join my effort.

will do. I'll do what I can, not sure how much help I can be though since my experience is in my model 3 (and they can just claim I'm using it in an unsupported manner)...even though i am seeing literally the same exactly behavior you all are.

I'm happy to help though in any way you think I can.

will do. I'll do what I can, not sure how much help I can be though since my experience is in my model 3 (and they can just claim I'm using it in an unsupported manner)...even though i am seeing literally the same exactly behavior you all are.

I'm happy to help though in any way you think I can.
Are you saying your Model 3 NEVER had the ability to pin favorite Sirius channels to the favorites bar? What year is it? Or did it work after you bought the car but only recently stopped working? If the manual says the pinning feature should work, then it should.

Are you saying your Model 3 NEVER had the ability to pin favorite Sirius channels to the favorites bar? What year is it? Or did it work after you bought the car but only recently stopped working? If the manual says the pinning feature should work, then it should.

it's not supposed to be available in the 3. one of our brilliant forum members over there figured out that we can get it to work just by swapping out our radio for the S or X radio...and it works, but with all the same issues you all have.

technically it's not available on the 3 or Y.

I am doing this workaround for the Sirius favorite issue. When I get in car and remove all favorites and re add them it works great. Then it stops working after the ride after the car sits for a while. So... I'm just doing that for the 8- 10 favorites everytime. It sucks... but that's the only way it works. It seems like the favorites are in some kinda RAM storage that resets itself. But... having the favorite thing work for a ride is awesome. I just wish they could permanently fix it.