Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRIUS XM PROBLEMS (AGAIN), THIS TIME WITH FAVORITES

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if this has been mentioned before, but, after much research, I have found three ways to get your Tesla to scroll through SiriusXM favorites using the steering wheel buttons. These only make the scrolling through favorites work for the duration of a drive, so you'll, unfortunately, need to do them each time you get in the vehicle.

1. Change from your driver profile to a different driver profile. Change back to your driver profile.
2. Manually delete all your SiriusXM favorites. Set them back up again.
3. Reset vehicle's entertainment system. This deletes all your SiriusXM favorites. Set them back up again.

I use option #1 each time I get in my vehicle. I have a duplicate profile for myself so this just requires 2 presses on the screen each time I get in the vehicle. It's a bit of a whip, but it's better than nothing at this point.

The good news here is that, with all these three options (especially the 3rd option, which resets the car back the first time you drove it when you received it from the factory) addressing the issue, this proves, in my mind, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that, despite all the Tesla representatives' assurances to us that "This is how the SirisusXM radio on your Tesla works and it is not a software glitch", this MOST CERTAINLY is a software glitch. And Tesla needs to stop gaslighting us on this, admit that they are wrong and fix this issue.

i have no idea how you're getting these to work, but the only one that works for me is #2. just flipping back and forth between profiles doesn't work (i've tried it because there was another poster who said he had it working that way, but i could never get it to work). if i could get it to work consistently, i'd do the same thing (just create a duplicate profile), but i have never been able to get it working consistently.

not only that, but even #2 doesn't work "for the duration of a drive." it WILL go back to sequential cycling at some point, usually around 20-30 minutes if you're on a longer drive.

Reactions: maxibenson
Thanks for sharing this. I’m testing #1 and can’t get it to work. To set up, I selected my primary profile, created a new duplicate and saved. Then I tried primary, duplicate, back to primary and Sirius still advances to next channel not next favorite. Did I miss something?

same here. i had seen someone else mention this working so i've tried the same thing, but i could never get it to work.

@QBCrunch if you can give us a definitive set of steps to get this working, i know i would greatly appreciate it as i'm sure everyone else here would as well.

#2 and #3 are ridiculous solutions, I completely agree. I should have been more clear about that. I only mentioned them as solutions because the fact that they work (sometimes at least - thanks @crackers8199 for letting us know that #2 only doesn't work for the duration of the drive on long drives!) helps build our case against the Tesla representatives who tell us that it's normal for the steering wheel buttons to scroll through ALL SIRIUS XM CHANNELS. If that's the case, we can tell them, then why is it that, during the first drive of every Tesla with SiriusXM, the steering wheel buttons scroll through FAVORITE SIRIUSXM CHANNELS instead?

And regarding a definitive set of steps, I'l start by saying this, and I should have been clearer about this earlier, but I have a 2022 Model X actually, not a Model S. Would that make a difference? I thought the entertainment system on Model Xs and Model Ss are exactly the same, but maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'm very sorry!

Also, my firmware on the vehicle is 2022.44.30.5 fwiw.

Here's what I did and do to make Option #1 work:
1. I set up a duplicate profile for myself
2. I use my iPhone to get in the car. It selects my primary profile when I get in the vehicle.
3. I change the primary profile to my duplicate profile

That's it. Then the steering wheel buttons scroll through my SiriusXM favorites every time.

Let me know what more I might be able to do here to troubleshoot this. Would love to help fine tune this solution so that it could work for everyone with this problem if we can.

#2 and #3 are ridiculous solutions, I completely agree. I should have been more clear about that. I only mentioned them as solutions because the fact that they work (sometimes at least - thanks @crackers8199 for letting us know that #2 only doesn't work for the duration of the drive on long drives!) helps build our case against the Tesla representatives who tell us that it's normal for the steering wheel buttons to scroll through ALL SIRIUS XM CHANNELS. If that's the case, we can tell them, then why is it that, during the first drive of every Tesla with SiriusXM, the steering wheel buttons scroll through FAVORITE SIRIUSXM CHANNELS instead?

And regarding a definitive set of steps, I'l start by saying this, and I should have been clearer about this earlier, but I have a 2022 Model X actually, not a Model S. Would that make a difference? I thought the entertainment system on Model Xs and Model Ss are exactly the same, but maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'm very sorry!

2. I use my iPhone to get in the car. It selects my primary profile when I get in the vehicle.

That's it. Then the steering wheel buttons scroll through my SiriusXM favorites every time.

Let me know what more I might be able to do here to troubleshoot this. Would love to help fine tune this solution so that it could work for everyone with this problem if we can.

i doubt it's a model S vs model X thing, although who knows?

i've got a model 3 and my SXM is using the hacked retrofit some members discovered over on the model 3 forum to get it working...it works, but with all of the same issues you all are seeing on both the S and X. so, it seems to be the same software for the most part (if not entirely).

i'll give the profile thing a shot again when i go out for lunch in a bit. the one thing i don't have set up on my end is to have it select primary profile from my phone, because i always worried it was going to pick my wife's profile and squish me when i sit down (i'm 6'0", she's only 5'3"). maybe that's the kicker that you need in order to make it work. that's the only thing in your steps that i haven't tried myself (i did try the profile switching trick but could never get it to work).

Still doesn’t work for me. Do you have Easy Entry set on primary and duplicate profiles?

update: it works. kind of.

I got in the car, and created a duplicate profile. linked my phone key to my main profile, and pulled out of the garage...it's cycling through favorites now, but stops after 22 and goes back to the first.

here's the kicker: it works with more than 22 if you're on a car profile, but not my Tesla profile. and the second you switch profiles, it will only cycle thru 22.

also I just crashed the computer and now the scroll button won't cycle at all, nor will the on screen buttons. I can only change channels by picking from the list. had to reboot to get that back. and...

...now it's back to sequential. and switching profiles doesn't work to make it cycle through favorites anymore. i don't think we can count this as a reliable way to make it work...my guess is it'll stop working for everyone at some point, just like everything else does in this half-assed media player.

i said this in another thread the other day, but it bears repeating (and quite often, i might add)...it is quite frankly embarrassing that elon is more concerned with adding remote fart noises and games that can only be played when the car is parked than fixing issues like this that affect everyone's daily driving. this has been a problem for literally MONTHS, and not only have they not fixed it, they won't even acknowledge there's anything wrong. it's pathetic.

Still doesn’t work for me. Do you have Easy Entry set on primary and duplicate profiles?
I had Easy Entry off on both profiles. Went out to the vehicle just now and set Easy Entry to on for both profiles. Then, scrolling through favorites using the steering wheel didn't work at all using Option #1. So I set Easy Entry back to off and now it scrolls through favorites WITHOUT ME EVEN NEEDING TO SWITCHING PROFILES! Don't expect that to last more than a couple/few drives, but that's where I am right now at least.

It's good to see you got Option #1 working (kind of) btw, @crackers8199. I have less than 22 favorites so I never ran into issue you are running into. Sorry to hear your car's computer crashed and it's not working at all anymore though.

I'd say the best bet for now for people facing this problem is to just create two or maybe even three profiles for the car (including, perhaps one that is attached to the phone of someone in your home who uses the car) and just switch back and forth between them when you get in the car in various ways and hopefully you'll kick the system into working correctly. For a little while at least.

That said, I'm happy to continue testing as there's got to be an answer here as to what we are doing right and wrong with the profiles in our attempts to get it to work consistently.

I don't think this will ever be fixed. It's not at top of list, or anywhere near a list of stuff to handle for them. I really dont think Sirius integration is something that Tesla values as an asset.
It's interesting that they are trying to sell you a MyQ subscription now to use the garage opener stuff. You can still use it... the home functionality, but to really integrate w MyQ app.. there is now a subscription needed. That matters, not our driving fun listening to music.
The turn buttons still fail sometimes. But who cares.. the car farts.

I don't think this will ever be fixed. It's not at top of list, or anywhere near a list of stuff to handle for them. I really dont think Sirius integration is something that Tesla values as an asset.
It's interesting that they are trying to sell you a MyQ subscription now to use the garage opener stuff. You can still use it... the home functionality, but to really integrate w MyQ app.. there is now a subscription needed. That matters, not our driving fun listening to music.
The turn buttons still fail sometimes. But who cares.. the car farts.

the only way it's ever going to get fixed it seems is if people start taking them to arbitration on it. I would have done it months ago, but I can't since my model 3 isn't supposed to have SXM anyway.

Reactions: maxibenson
Mine was automatic, no deletion required. It use to cycle through all Sirius channels now it does so through only my favorites. Same behavior as FM.
I have a 2023 model S, I’m wondering if it’s different
i guess i shouldn't be surprised that everyone would have a different experience...
So it worked after I deleted, and re-added the stations, thanks for the help.

Reactions: crackers8199
2021 MSP
2023.12.9 software

No Favorites scrolling for me. Only scrolls every singe 300+ SiriusXM channels in order.
No sequential favorites scrolling for me either but now it just scrolls on random favorites in some weird haphazard way and only certain ones. It was so frustrating that I did the two button reset on my steering wheel hoping it would fix it but it didn’t.

I would rather have it scroll sequentially through each station vs what it is doing now. Now I have to use the screen for everything and if I want to scroll I have to hit the little forward and back buttons at the top of the screen which aren’t easy when driving because the roads get bumpy at times.

Is it really that hard to figure out? This seems like it would be so easy to fix but it just gets worse.