Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six Weeks Of No Driving - Zero Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t taken my 92k mile 2013 P85+ out of my garage for the past six weeks since my company gave me rental temporarily since I have to drive 700 miles per week for a project.

I washed the car, put it in my garage with the cover over it and plugged it in. I set it to charge to 80%. That was in mid April. Today about six weeks later I took the cover off and turned the car on and it is still charged to 80%. So the car had zero vampire drain in the six weeks? I never expected that. It also did a software update during that time.

Anyone else ever experience that? I figured even in deep sleep it would lose one percent a day or something like that.

yep.. you did the right thing: kept it plugged in. The battery probably ran the pumps once in a while, and it charge every few nights
Yes--keeping it plugged in is best. I would suggest if you plan to keep the car sitting for long periods of time that you lower the max charge. I think 80% is too high for just sitting there for weeks. 50 or 60% would be better. You should also check the charger every week or so to make sure the circuit breaker didn't trip. The day before you plan to drive again you can raise the max charge back to your preferred level.

Yes--keeping it plugged in is best. I would suggest if you plan to keep the car sitting for long periods of time that you lower the max charge. I think 80% is too high for just sitting there for weeks. 50 or 60% would be better. You should also check the charger every week or so to make sure the circuit breaker didn't trip. The day before you plan to drive again you can raise the max charge back to your preferred level.

That's a good point about max charge to 50-60, I'll keep that in mind for longer trips - if it's not convenient to keep it plugged in you can also put it on saving mode and turn off connectivity, it'll go to sleep until you're back with minimal drain.