Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of USB drive needed for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh i checked only regular feed. I did not have any sentry capture yet. A bit unrelated but when you record sentry do you have the cam in recording mode? Or if you have grey dot, would it record sentry?
Yes, always in recording mode. Haven’t tried it without, but I assume wit would t work as I would think it would treat it same as not having a drive installed.

Reactions: asterothe
From Tesla Model 3 owner's manual:

Note: Tesla recommends using a flash drive with as much available storage as possible; saving the most recent ten-minutes of video requires approximately 1 GB, and the hour-long video footage loop requires approximately 8 GB of free space. If your flash drive does not have sufficient storage, an "X" displays on the dashcam icon and dashcam may be unable to save video files.

The dashcam temporarily stores approximately one hour of the most recent video footage on the flash drive before new video begins overwriting old video.

---

So, for the dashcam feature (not consider sentry mode / saved videos) I think the *minimum* you need is "approximately" 8GB, although, of course, larger sizes are recommended.

After installing a Mirco ScanDisk Pro It is not able to read any videos because they are "black" while the car is in motion but on an External ScanDisk 550 I can see both which is odd.

Has anyone had this issue?

Both have "TeslaCam" file listed

My screen has been blk multiple times as well so they claim this will fix this recurring issue.

I don't believe any of this from the service department
I had the same problem with a 1TB flash drive. Both screens went dark and was non responsive to soft and semi hard system restarts. After removing the drive it came back on. Did not figure that out until two days later. Service department gave me the same song and dance saying the computer reads all the blank space on the drive and gets stuck. Makes no sense with less than 500 MB of data on it. Sounds like BS.

I had the same problem with a 1TB flash drive. Both screens went dark and was non responsive to soft and semi hard system restarts. After removing the drive it came back on. Did not figure that out until two days later. Service department gave me the same song and dance saying the computer reads all the blank space on the drive and gets stuck. Makes no sense with less than 500 MB of data on it. Sounds like BS.

...to add to that. The 1TB drive worked just fine for two months prior to things going south. The serviced department said that 500GB is max; however, you are saying 36d. I've also read 128 and 256...so there is no consistent message from Tesla service departments on this serious issue. Glade my car went inop at home and not on a trip or at work. I had no idea what was wrong. I also lost app link to my car so was unable to use it to contact the serviced department for over a day. I had to have sales walk over and contact them. Their only response was to have my car towed in. Problem was that it was locked in park with no way to put it in tow mode or neutral. Driver from roadside assistance wanted to drag a 90k car onto a flatbed. No Thanks. I was able to trouble shoot it myself the next day via google searches with one lucky hit saying to disconnect all USBs. That saved my car from being destroyed by roadside assistance. I still had them take it in, but drove it on the flatbed. I had not idea if the CPU or else was wrong (low confidence level on taking it to work or on trips). It all came down to a supposed reading of dead space on a flash drive? Makes zero sense but if that is the case, Tesla needs to figure it out and set that as a standard for all of us. This could seriously screw folks over professionally or even in emergency situations. Not happy.