Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of USB drive needed for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much space is actually required by Tesla for your teslacam?

Not really sure what your question is. I think you are referring to the size of the USB stick that's needed for TeslaCam. I do not believe there's a minimum size required. However the bigger the size, the better. Depending on how you use it, it can fill up rather quickly. At the very least, I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 16gb

A single incident writes 30 one minute videos for a total of about 1.2 GB. You're not going to be able to clear them until the end of the drive at best, so you're going to need the ability to write several incidents.

I bought a 480 GB rugged SSD for the purpose, and spilt it for music and TeslaCam. That's probably overkill, but it still wasn't much money.

There's going to be a lot of overwriting going on, so an SSD should last better than an SD card or a USB stick.

Not really sure what your question is. I think you are referring to the size of the USB stick that's needed for TeslaCam. I do not believe there's a minimum size required. However the bigger the size, the better. Depending on how you use it, it can fill up rather quickly. At the very least, I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 16gb

I have a 500gb which works very well, but today my service department tells me that you are only supposed to only have a 32gb. In which I find odd.

I have a 500gb which works very well, but today my service department tells me that you are only supposed to only have a 32gb. In which I find odd.

Microsoft confused sooo many people with that, including your service person apparently.

When they developed NTFS, they wanted to migrate everyone to their fancy new file system. To do that, they created an arbitrary limit in Windows; a Windows computer will not format a FAT32 drive larger than 32 GB.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with larger FAT32 drives, and Windows will happily read and write to them if a third party application or non Windows computer creates them.

I've been using a 240 GB partition for two months with no problems, and I can't see any reason your 500 GB would cause an issue.

I think your technician got confused by the Windows limit - he knows it has to be FAT32 to work correctly, but doesn't know the 32 GB limit is Windows trying to push their proprietary file system rather than a limit of FAT32.

Microsoft confused sooo many people with that, including your service person apparently.

When they developed NTFS, they wanted to migrate everyone to their fancy new file system. To do that, they created an arbitrary limit in Windows; a Windows computer will not format a FAT32 drive larger than 32 GB.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with larger FAT32 drives, and Windows will happily read and write to them if a third party application or non Windows computer creates them.

I've been using a 240 GB partition for two months with no problems, and I can't see any reason your 500 GB would cause an issue.

I think your technician got confused by the Windows limit - he knows it has to be FAT32 to work correctly, but doesn't know the 32 GB limit is Windows trying to push their proprietary file system rather than a limit of FAT32.

Unless you go to the command line...but then they just make it painfully slow, but you can still go above 32GB for FAT32. Best to use 3rd party software to do it like you said.

Reactions: 350z
My screen has been blk multiple times as well so they claim this will fix this recurring issue.

I don't believe any of this from the service department

Well, a 32 GB stick or SD card is cheap. In your shoes I might buy one and try it, but I don't expect it to change your problem - it's just an easier way to get them to start finding the real problem than arguing is (and I might be missing something, though I have no idea how it could be that.)

Reactions: JasonR67
Well, a 32 GB stick or SD card is cheap. In your shoes I might buy one and try it, but I don't expect it to change your problem - it's just an easier way to get them to start finding the real problem than arguing is (and I might be missing something, though I have no idea how it could be that.)

I guess I will and see if this will resolve my issue. I was so upset with the service department today.

Everything just overwrites itself correct? So you can just insert the stick and wait for something interesting to happen then pull out once something happpens?

You can. Or you can tap the TeslaCam icon on the screen a minute or so after something interesting happens, and it'll save that ten minute stack of clips to a separate saved folder where it won't get overwritten and you can leave the stick in until you're ready to do something with the clip.

What speeds do you all recommend at a minimum. My 128 SanDisk Cruzer Glide no longer works as I get the USB is too slow error. Worked fine for months until recently.

that's a software problem, not HW.

The car only writes at 1.5MB/s, which is many times slower than any USB drive out there.

As to using a 32GB drive- assuming you also use Sentry mode and the car is on say 8-10 hours a day, you're going to burn through the rated life of the drive in probably a year or less.... and potentially fill it in a single day if where you park is fairly busy.

Smallest I'd suggest is 128GB, which should be good for longer than the average american keeps a car for and you won't need to clean it out nearly as often either.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I first used a 32GB usb drive, but discovered that old files were not automatically deleted. So after a few days, my little red dot turned into an x, meaning that the tesla cam was no longer recording videos because the drive was full. I had to manually delete the Tesla Cam folder contents. Then the drive and camera would work again. Realizing this, I upgraded to a 256GB drive. I still have to manually empty the TeslaCam folder contents, but now thanks to the larger size, I only have to do this about once every 3 or 4 weeks instead of every few days. So I definitely recommend getting a larger usb drive.