Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Skyline Model S/X wireless phone dock location - help us design!

TMC community, where would you place a wireless charging solution for the Model S/X - see image

• Ⓐ - the original Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock location

• Ⓑ - further towards the front

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

skyline

Former Vendor
May 7, 2017
Chicago
TMC community, if you could place a wireless charging dock solution for the Model S/X - where would you want it?
- the original Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock location
- further towards the front

poll2.jpg

Attachments

• Poll.png
    Poll.png
    640.8 KB · Views: 105
For location A, it’s always been a terrible location where when you are at a red light or parked, it’s an impossible angle to see and use the phone.

For location B, TapTes already makes a great center console tray with a wireless charger AND cup holders solving two needs that the Model S has. Once again, viewing angle is not great. Despite this, I use it now more for the cup holders and the wireless charging is a bonus. TapTes Tesla Model S X Wireless Qi Phone Charger Organizer Box with Cup Holder and Type-C Cable, Center Console Storage Tray Charger Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPZB1C8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R31iEbQYNZF1K

I think the biggest need now is a mount that you can attach to the center console like ProClip does for most cars where the viewing angle and controls are perfect. All ProClip offers now is a mount that blocks the bottom right of the beautiful screen and their universal mounts do not fit the center console perfect. If one can be designed for the center console, the viewing angle would be perfect, the wires can be hidden and it can be wired or wireless charging. All of the vent mounts are ugly and block air flow. This product would be like no other on the market today.

Picture here for sample:

proclip console mounts - Google Search

I keep my phone in both A and B location but land up using C the most. C being between A and B. if you could figure out a retractable way to place the phone in location C, that will be perfect. A is invisible and difficult to access but provides a snug spot to keep it from flying. B is a little further out (required bending forward to reach) and flies off on hard accel but better for visibility and reach with eyes still on the road. If only A and B are the choices I would say B.

Reactions: skyline
The problem with the B location (that’s the one most vendors are using) is that it covers all the storage area of the center console, thus making that storage area less useful. So when you want to grab your gamepad to play Tesla arcade, or place there a big bottle of water... you have to remove the wireless tray.

That center console space is the only main storage space at the front of the Model S, because it doesn’t have door pockets. So blocking it with a tray to put you phone isn’t a good idea. If the Model S had door pockets... there would be no problem...

That’s why I think that A location is better. You enter the car, put you phone there and it charges... and when something happens on the phone screen....although the angle is far from perfect... you can still see that something happens.

It seems that Tesla is very close to releasing a wireless phone charger for location A in the coming weeks.....

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: skyline and msm859
Thank you all for the votes and comments. This is really good info and gives us a much better understanding of what you guys want. Our design process is to always use BETA testers to validate products so if you own a Model S and are interested in testing early design/prototypes shoot us an email at [email protected]!

It appears Tesla is starting to release a wireless charger that replaces the current charging dock (which rotates to become the lid for the portion closest to the USB ports).

This would be the ideal position - if it's possible to replace that rotating cover with a version that had the wireless charger embedded.

A huge advantage of this solution is that it eliminates the problem with adjusting the side guides to fit a specific phone (in or out of case) width and depth to get the phone to line up over the USB port at the bottom of the phone.

This would require removing the rotating cover that comes with the S/X and replace it with a different rotating cover with the wireless charger built-in.

You would want the USB cable between the wireless charger and the USB port to be long enough so it could reach both of the S/X USB ports, and also reach the USB port on a higher AMP adapter plugged into the accessory port (to enable faster charging).

Though if Tesla releases this as an upgrade for S/X vehicles, we'd likely order that as soon it's available directly from Tesla...

• Helpful
Reactions: OVB1