Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker stations missing, but current station continues to play ok

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Anybody else run across Slacker stations missing (yet the current station continues to play uninterrupted)?

SlackerWithoutStations.png

I plan to reboot my 17" on Sunday, but I want to give Tesla a chance to take a look at this when I visit the service center (unrelated) on Saturday.

No, but I'm still confused as to why some songs will simply not play (ever) on demand even though they are found using the search function. I have found some songs will play first time, every time while others will simply create a "station" and the requested song "may" come up in the rotation. I understand this may be a licensing issue, but why would it find a song and just not play it?

I was trying to play General Hand Grenade by Trooper (don't judge me) and it found it and created a "station" but won't play the song. It did find and play a Reggae version which is quite hilarious.

My problem is it takes sometimes 30-45 seconds between songs!

Also, when I switch a station, it delays playing the song for about 30 seconds--it's unusable.

Anyone else have this issue?

Will the two finger reboot help?

And I assume all passwords, stations, homelink, etc will not be affected when I do the re-boot??

Also, how long does re-boot take once started?

The reboot shouldn't affect your passwords, home link, ect but YMMV I get the delays in slacker as well but it's probably from bad cell reception, when I get close to town Slacker works like it should. ETA: When I have had to do a re-boot it takes about a minute- at most.

The reboot shouldn't affect your passwords, home link, ect but YMMV I get the delays in slacker as well but it's probably from bad cell reception, when I get close to town Slacker works like it should. ETA: When I have had to do a re-boot it takes about a minute- at most.

In my case even with full reception bars it happens. Will try reboot now.

Last edited:
No, but I'm still confused as to why some songs will simply not play (ever) on demand even though they are found using the search function. I have found some songs will play first time, every time while others will simply create a "station" and the requested song "may" come up in the rotation. I understand this may be a licensing issue, but why would it find a song and just not play it?

I was trying to play General Hand Grenade by Trooper (don't judge me) and it found it and created a "station" but won't play the song. It did find and play a Reggae version which is quite hilarious.

This is that licensing issue I pointed out in another thread. "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore did this to me... it would call up other songs by Macklemore, it would call up similar songs, but would never play that song first. Funny enough, if I fast-forwarded 10 times or so, it would pick it up in the station. That's when, using my Tesla's account, I pulled up slacker on the mobile phone. Same behavior - a search would find the song, but upon playing it, I would get a different song. However, there I was presented with a quick error message that noted a license issue just before playing the next song.

(That was prior to Slacker v5. Now it just either plays the song or doesn't, or I'd give you a screen shot... and now they have a license for Thrift Shop, or it's volume licensing and less people or listening to it, or something like that)

This is that licensing issue I pointed out in another thread. "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore did this to me... it would call up other songs by Macklemore, it would call up similar songs, but would never play that song first. Funny enough, if I fast-forwarded 10 times or so, it would pick it up in the station. That's when, using my Tesla's account, I pulled up slacker on the mobile phone. Same behavior - a search would find the song, but upon playing it, I would get a different song. However, there I was presented with a quick error message that noted a license issue just before playing the next song.

Thanks... I do recall you saying that. This was my first experience where it actually finds the song/artist, displays it on the list but doesn't (ever) play it no matter how long I listen to the "station" or skip ahead. I figured if they didn't have a license to play it ever, it just wouldn't show up in the list, although it just occurred to me that this may be a Google search that is passed over to Slacker.

I have some where it will play the song first time, every time. All I have to do is momentarily go to another station, then come back and it plays the selected song right away. Other stations seem to play the selected song at first maybe once a day and yet other stations may play the selected some at some point in the rotation, but not always first.

I have Slacker on my phone, but am just using a free account for now so can't compare. I'll probably sign up for a Premium account when the Tesla trial runs out. How did you get the Tesla account on your phone? I can see the Userid but the Password is obscured on the car's screen.

Just FYI, driving today, had same Slacker issues.

Problem is you cannot log out, as SC said they do not have password and login if I did?

Slacker is not usable at this time for me and it's frustrating. Will call SC again.

Just FYI, driving today, had same Slacker issues.

Problem is you cannot log out, as SC said they do not have password and login if I did?

Slacker is not usable at this time for me and it's frustrating. Will call SC again.
There used to be a trick to force the vehicle to automatically refetch the appropriate login credentials. A forum search might find it, but it's hit or miss sometimes.

This post makes reference to the incantation. Perhaps fiddling around with it you can reduce it to the minimum number of steps:
My MS came with .61 when I took delivery on Friday. So far, the only issue I have is I'm locked out of Slacker .... Slacker is asking for a user id/password (it was there on delivery) and neither my personal account, or following TM's instructions on how to "reset" it by clearing login info have worked.

Last edited:
I have Slacker on my phone, but am just using a free account for now so can't compare. I'll probably sign up for a Premium account when the Tesla trial runs out. How did you get the Tesla account on your phone? I can see the Userid but the Password is obscured on the car's screen.

My password was incorrect on the DS's sheet, so he had to e-mail me after his departure so that I could put it in myself.

I went ahead and got "Slacker Premium" it gives you a playlist of their licensed music and can also be played from my cell phone, computer, tablet, ect. I just found the stations to be a pain in the butt. Oh, and another thing, who thought up the name for this company? Come on, "Slacker" ??? not only that, but since I pay them I'm a "Premium Slacker".

ETA: $10 a month to be a "Premium Slacker" , to me it's worth it for the play list and not having to deal with their channels.

There used to be a trick to force the vehicle to automatically refetch the appropriate login credentials. A forum search might find it, but it's hit or miss sometimes.

This post makes reference to the incantation. Perhaps fiddling around with it you can reduce it to the minimum number of steps:

I think the trick is to clear the login info, pull up the release notes/version page by selecting the tesla t and poof it returns. I will have to look tonight to see if I made any notes.