TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slacker stations missing, but current station continues to play ok

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brianman, Oct 2, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Anybody else run across Slacker stations missing (yet the current station continues to play uninterrupted)?

SlackerWithoutStations.png

I plan to reboot my 17" on Sunday, but I want to give Tesla a chance to take a look at this when I visit the service center (unrelated) on Saturday.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No, but I'm still confused as to why some songs will simply not play (ever) on demand even though they are found using the search function. I have found some songs will play first time, every time while others will simply create a "station" and the requested song "may" come up in the rotation. I understand this may be a licensing issue, but why would it find a song and just not play it?

I was trying to play General Hand Grenade by Trooper (don't judge me) and it found it and created a "station" but won't play the song. It did find and play a Reggae version which is quite hilarious.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

My problem is it takes sometimes 30-45 seconds between songs!

Also, when I switch a station, it delays playing the song for about 30 seconds--it's unusable.

Anyone else have this issue?

Will the two finger reboot help?

4. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

I've had this happen to me before. Only fix was logging out of slacker and then logging back in.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Time to re-boot your 17" screen. Seriously. I found the same thing and this is the cure.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Treatment, not cure. Like soup for a cold -- you'll likely get another cold again in the future.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

And I assume all passwords, stations, homelink, etc will not be affected when I do the re-boot??

Also, how long does re-boot take once started?

8. Seven7

Seven7 Member

The reboot shouldn't affect your passwords, home link, ect but YMMV I get the delays in slacker as well but it's probably from bad cell reception, when I get close to town Slacker works like it should. ETA: When I have had to do a re-boot it takes about a minute- at most.

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

#9 texex91, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    In my case even with full reception bars it happens. Will try reboot now.

10. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Ok. don't keep us in suspense...

11. texex91

texex91 Banned

It worked!! Thanks guys!!

12. Seven7

Seven7 Member

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Glad it worked. For me, the re-boot process is fairly quick, but in a lot of cases, it can take up to 10 or 15 minutes for the 3G connection to re-establish. I'm not sure why because I'm usually in a 4 or 5 bar reception area when I do a re-boot and it doesn't always take this long.

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

This is that licensing issue I pointed out in another thread. "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore did this to me... it would call up other songs by Macklemore, it would call up similar songs, but would never play that song first. Funny enough, if I fast-forwarded 10 times or so, it would pick it up in the station. That's when, using my Tesla's account, I pulled up slacker on the mobile phone. Same behavior - a search would find the song, but upon playing it, I would get a different song. However, there I was presented with a quick error message that noted a license issue just before playing the next song.

(That was prior to Slacker v5. Now it just either plays the song or doesn't, or I'd give you a screen shot... and now they have a license for Thrift Shop, or it's volume licensing and less people or listening to it, or something like that)

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Thanks... I do recall you saying that. This was my first experience where it actually finds the song/artist, displays it on the list but doesn't (ever) play it no matter how long I listen to the "station" or skip ahead. I figured if they didn't have a license to play it ever, it just wouldn't show up in the list, although it just occurred to me that this may be a Google search that is passed over to Slacker.

I have some where it will play the song first time, every time. All I have to do is momentarily go to another station, then come back and it plays the selected song right away. Other stations seem to play the selected song at first maybe once a day and yet other stations may play the selected some at some point in the rotation, but not always first.

I have Slacker on my phone, but am just using a free account for now so can't compare. I'll probably sign up for a Premium account when the Tesla trial runs out. How did you get the Tesla account on your phone? I can see the Userid but the Password is obscured on the car's screen.

16. texex91

texex91 Banned

Just FYI, driving today, had same Slacker issues.

Problem is you cannot log out, as SC said they do not have password and login if I did?

Slacker is not usable at this time for me and it's frustrating. Will call SC again.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#17 brianman, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    There used to be a trick to force the vehicle to automatically refetch the appropriate login credentials. A forum search might find it, but it's hit or miss sometimes.

This post makes reference to the incantation. Perhaps fiddling around with it you can reduce it to the minimum number of steps:

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My password was incorrect on the DS's sheet, so he had to e-mail me after his departure so that I could put it in myself.

19. Seven7

Seven7 Member

I went ahead and got "Slacker Premium" it gives you a playlist of their licensed music and can also be played from my cell phone, computer, tablet, ect. I just found the stations to be a pain in the butt. Oh, and another thing, who thought up the name for this company? Come on, "Slacker" ??? not only that, but since I pay them I'm a "Premium Slacker".

ETA: $10 a month to be a "Premium Slacker" , to me it's worth it for the play list and not having to deal with their channels.

20. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

I think the trick is to clear the login info, pull up the release notes/version page by selecting the tesla t and poof it returns. I will have to look tonight to see if I made any notes.