Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping in MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like I may need to sleep in my MY next week at a party. Not having much time to prepare, I'm looking for some help--

1. I'm 6'3". Should I fit?
2. Will a Thermarest or similar basic camping pad be sufficient? Or should I plan for something more robust?
3. I don't expect camp mode will drain my battery much given that nights should be cool. But any unexpected power drain I should consider? I'll be charging off a basic wall socket and not near a fast charger, so I can't waste electrons.

Thanks.

Plug in if you can. Don't worry about the power usage overnight as long as your vehicle starts the evening with at least a 30% or greater charge. You can use Camp mode; this will keep the USB ports and the 12V accessory outlets active. You can run the HVAC in the fan only mode with the fan on a low speed for minimum power usage. I don't think you need to turn off Sentry Mode as it only activates when the Model Y is locked, not sure if Sentry mode can be used with Camp mode. Any foam pad and a sleeping bag would work. If you had more time you could research, purchase a mattress designed to fit the Model Y.

1. Yes, you'll fit. Regarding fit, though... if you move the passenger far forward, you'll have lots of extra room where your legs & feet would be if sitting in the back-seat. The TeslaMat mattress takes advantage of this in it's design, but with a Thermares, if you need the extra length, you'll need to put something below it where your head would be, to prop it up. You can also create a 'camping' profile and store the driver-seat to be in a far-forward position for quick extra space.
2. For one night, a Thermarest should be fine.
3. Camp mode can drain your battery 15-20 percentage-points if not plugged in. Since you'll have a wall-socket, it should be less, but remember to check if there are other things on the circuit -- you may need to pull less than the possible 12 amps. For events like this, I like to use abetterrouteplanner.com to arrive with a comfortable cushion. You won't have to worry about sentry-mode drain; camp-mode disables it.
4. Other tips:
- If you need extra air in the back, note that there's an icon on the climate screen (bottom-right, IIRC) that sends air to the back.
- I set headlights to off and dome-lights to off.
- With the back-seats folded down, the surface isn't completely flat; your head will be higher than your feet. Doesn't bother me, but could some. If it'd bother you, see if you can park on a slight decline to counteract that.
- Might be obvious, but you can use your phone to lock-doors and adjust the temp.

To sum up, having tried camping in my Bolt, Tesla's software makes it all so much easier in my Model-3. Enjoy!