Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on Interstate Wandering Back and Forth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has been doing it since 2019.8.5. I made an appointment with the SC and they called and said it was a known bug and will be fixed in the next update. Well I have the next update and it’s still doing it. It’s to the point where I don’t really like using AP. It does it even with perfect road lines and no wind. It’s bad on off ramps too always over and under compensating.

The phenomena is like the steering is very slightly over correcting, only had the car a week (500 miles), so perhaps its still calibrating. It pitches me back and forth slightly in the seat. It also feels to maintain position a little closer to the left side of the lane than I prefer, but this could just be my personal driving preference.

Mine has been doing it since 2019.8.5. I made an appointment with the SC and they called and said it was a known bug and will be fixed in the next update. Well I have the next update and it’s still doing it. It’s to the point where I don’t really like using AP. It does it even with perfect road lines and no wind. It’s bad on off ramps too always over and under compensating.

Mine does it with perfect road lines as well, I'm on 2019.12.1.2.

Mine does not “wander.” I can feel a subtle sinusoidal motion as I rest my hand on the steering wheel. No way other drivers would see it.

OTOH, Autopilot disengaged on a curve a few days ago...very unsubtle. Glad that I keep my hands on the steering wheel.

Were you out of range of any active connections? I noticed in the middle of the rockies that when my maps went out autopilot became a bit drunk and pinged back and forth in my lane trying to find center. This only happened when I lost communication in the very highest peaks of the mountains though. It was easy to tell it was going to happen as the maps would stop loading when zoomed in and instead put up a grey area.

The AS wandered last year and then improved but the wandering has come back particularly with crosswinds. It'll probably go away again. As the AP becomes more competent, some items become more sensitive. The car is becoming more capable of sharper turns at higher speeds and this is probably due to that.

Mines been doing it allot more with the most recent update. especially when closer to a concrete barrier. I have greatly reduced my auto pilot usage. Also the routing is no longer putting me in the carpool lane on my way home like it used to, and still fails to take the exit On my way to work when on drive in nav.

The phenomena is like the steering is very slightly over correcting, only had the car a week (500 miles), so perhaps its still calibrating. It pitches me back and forth slightly in the seat. It also feels to maintain position a little closer to the left side of the lane than I prefer, but this could just be my personal driving preference.
I've had my car for a year, and this issue is definitely new, not just calibration. They'll eventually fix it with an update.

@Hank101 are you still experiencing this issue? I’ve had mine for a week now and also noticed the ‘wandering’ autopilot on highways..
No, the issue seems to have been resolved with the last 2 updates - Time and self calibration could also have helped. The previous update (2019.12.1.2) reduced it some (width of oscillation), then it no longer happens after the last update (2019.20.4.2). It was pretty bad before, to the point I did not use lane assist. It occasionally happens for a few seconds right after activation, but I think that is typical lane centering, as it doesn't continue after finding center.

First update came around 2K miles (very noticeable up to this point), second around 3K miles.