Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight vibration in steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Put on the TSportline 20´´ TSS wheels with Michelin Pilot 4S tires on my P3D+. I’m noticing a constant slight vibration in the steering wheel. Steering wheel is not shaking, it’s really just like a hum, like I feel the pavement. First I though it was balance but they were balanced and I feel it at any speed. I get you feel the road more with low profile but I can’t remember it that bad in my S when I had it though it had air suspension. Is this normal? Anyone else noticed this?

Is vibration or hum from the steering wheel normal? No, it's not. How do you know the wheels are balanced correctly?
Probably an issue with the balance. Not sure about the TSS wheels but aftermarkets are sometimes known for being difficult to balance. Also, were they road force balanced? This can make a difference as well. Bottom line if it feels different with the new wheels its probably an issue with the balance.

Yes, they were road force balanced. My only hesitation with blaming this on balance is that I feel this vibration even at like 5 miles per hour. Thought balance problems were felt at higher speeds only. No? Given this is a slight thing and not shaking per se, I was just wondering if maybe it’s simply the difference between regular and low profile tires?

So you have a P3D- and went from a 45 series to a 35 series? No, that doesn't explain a vibration. Hang on, you say you have a P3D+ so you already have "low profile tires" I'm confused

I have a P3D+. Got it as winter started. Replaced the OEM 20s with 19” TST wheels with winter tires. As summer approached, I decided to replace the OEM 20s with the TSS 20s for look and colour (wanted black). Sold the OEMs. Made that switch a couple of weeks ago. Been noticing the hum in the steering wheel since, at any speed.

I have a P3D+. Got it as winter started. Replaced the OEM 20s with 19” TST wheels with winter tires. As summer approached, I decided to replace the OEM 20s with the TSS 20s for look and colour (wanted black). Sold the OEMs. Made that switch a couple of weeks ago. Been noticing the hum in the steering wheel since, at any speed.

And hum is likely a better word. Steering wheel is not shaking, I just feel this, well, hum through it as I drive no matter the speed.

I just got my model 3 last week and I notice the same thing. It's like a mechanical vibration (and not something with the tires???). Mine comes and goes. It almost seems tied to the air conditioning, but that is a guess.

I just got my model 3 last week and I notice the same thing. It's like a mechanical vibration (and not something with the tires???). Mine comes and goes. It almost seems tied to the air conditioning, but that is a guess.
Turn off your departure lane warning, freaked me out thinking I had a loose suspension, bad ball joint or loose tie rod end.

Fred

Check and see if the small air tubing removed itself from the 12 volt battery. The 12 volt battery in the front inside the Frunk has a small black plastic tubing that goes on the right side too of the 12 volt battery. If that comes loose it could probably make some type of sound.

Check and see if the small air tubing removed itself from the 12 volt battery. The 12 volt battery in the front inside the Frunk has a small black plastic tubing that goes on the right side too of the 12 volt battery. If that comes loose it could probably make some type of sound.

Thanks. By hum I mean a small vibration feeling in the steering wheel the moment I move. Not sure a small plastic tube would cause that?

A month after I got my M3 last July a small vibration started suddenly. Mobile Ranger and I decided the radiator cooling fan motor had thrown a balance weight off. That fan speed is controlled by a computer and occasionally it goes through a resonant RPM. They need to change the motor from below and we don't have a SC near hear so I'm waiting awhile in hopes one pops up before the warranty is out. The weight is probably lying in the bottom of the plenum but where it fell off from may not be easy to determine. There have been several other reports of this.

I concur with Wennfred- check your departure lane warning. I enabled this and noticed the slight vibration when i departed my lane ever so slightly. Try with it on and off and see if you notice the difference. I like the feature myself as it keeps me honest when I'm changing songs thinking I'm on AP :)

I concur with Wennfred- check your departure lane warning. I enabled this and noticed the slight vibration when i departed my lane ever so slightly. Try with it on and off and see if you notice the difference. I like the feature myself as it keeps me honest when I'm changing songs thinking I'm on AP :)

Thanks but it’s not it. I own an X and a 3, and had an S before that. I can tell what lane change warning is. ;-)

The more I drive, the more I’m thinking this is just the 3’s harsher ride combined with low profile tires.