Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slightly different take on the 70D vs. 85D debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the charging time? I was originally going to get a 70D, but opted for an 85D at the last minute (I pick her up in 2 days!).

Anyway, from what I seem to be learning, the 85 pack operates at a higher voltage, thereby allowing faster initial super-charging. I'm obviously not sure if that's true or not, shaving off 5-10 minutes of supercharging on a road trip might be worth something, too?

I also think the cold weather buffer might be another good reason.

You spent 10k to save 5-10 minutes? Are you looking to adopt a donkey kong?

You spent 10k to save 5-10 minutes? Are you looking to adopt a donkey kong?

I go to my cabin most weekends stopping at a Supercharger both ways. In one year, that's a lot of time savings. Plus, while I can get to my cabin on one charge, that's one full cycle each way, and the less full cycles, the less battery degredation. There's great coffee at the Blue Moose by the Supercharger, but I am anxious to get to my cabin or home, and I don't want to stop for too long. That extra 5 to 10 minutes is huge to me. But to others it may not be nearly as important.

I go to my cabin most weekends stopping at a Supercharger both ways. In one year, that's a lot of time savings. Plus, while I can get to my cabin one one charge, that's one full cycle each way, and the less full cycles, the less battery degredation. There's great coffee at the Blue Moose by the Supercharger, but I am anxious to get to my cabin or home, and I don't want to stop for too long. That extra 5 to 10 minutes is huge to me. But to others it may not be nearly as important.

I was only poking fun.

I know there are a lot of places where the extra range of an 85D over a 70D is crucial. And I know there are times when those 5-10 minutes matter.

OTOH, I've stated this in another thread, so far I've supercharged ~18 times (4,700 miles in 1.5 months, and counting), and just about every-time the car was ready before I was (unloading the kids, bathroom break, lunch break, snack break, reloading the kids, etc.).

I have a 70D, and I'm on the east coast in the US, so there are enough superchargers to where I don't have to charge to 90% to get to the next one, and even with an 85D I haven't found a situation where I'd be able to "skip" one yet.

I was only poking fun.

I know there are a lot of places where the extra range of an 85D over a 70D is crucial. And I know there are times when those 5-10 minutes matter.

OTOH, I've stated this in another thread, so far I've supercharged ~18 times (4,700 miles in 1.5 months, and counting), and just about every-time the car was ready before I was (unloading the kids, bathroom break, lunch break, snack break, reloading the kids, etc.).

I have a 70D, and I'm on the east coast in the US, so there are enough superchargers to where I don't have to charge to 90% to get to the next one, and even with an 85D I haven't found a situation where I'd be able to "skip" one yet.

I know you were poking fun. I quoted you in error but corrected that now.

The 70D sounds like a perfect fit for you. That's what's great about Tesla. You can get a battery that suits your individual needs and for many the 70 is perfectly fine.

For me, the extra range of an 85 over a 70D makes no real difference. ~200 miles of range covers daily commute (~70 miles) plus plenty of gadding about.

There are no superchargers in the vicinity, so thinking about supercharging time will be an occasional road trip issue at best.

That $10K is not something I can justify by value. I can't even justify the UHFS. I just don't hear $2500 worth of better sound there. $900 maybe, but not $2500.

I was debating between the 70D and 85D and decided to go with the 85D for the performance boost mostly. Then, I was advised that they were likely to discontinue the 85D and only go with the 70D and 90D and my version might be discontinued soon and resale value might take a hit. I'm not sure if that was salesmanship, but it worked. I went for the 90D. As far as depreciation goes, I'm getting financing under the RVG program which has an average 3 year depreciation--on my vehicle at least--of 16% per year. I thought that was fair and a nice safeguard.

I just ordered a 70D a couple of weeks ago for delivery this month. I too considered the 85 or 90 but decided to forgo the extra range this time in favor of a slightly lower total price. Then, I decided to lease since this technology is moving so quickly, I'll not worry about my resale value and will just get whatever is current and in my budget in 3 years. :) Maybe logical, maybe not but it worked for me. Now... if that delivery would only happen SOON!

No sensible person would look at a car as an investment.

I do think it's reasonable when forking out nearly 100K for something to at least consider how slowly (or rapidly) it will depreciate as a relevant variable to consider.

I think you're on the right track here. While certainly an expense and not an investment, as measured by TCO the Tesla has to be evaluated over its total life expectancy. I tend to hold my cars a long time (I bought a Honda Accord new in 1992 and drove it for nine years and 180k before a crash totalled it; but for that crash I might still have it!). As was written elsewhere, the depreciation curve for luxury autos is ugly, particularly in the first three years. I made the decision that this will be my car for the next 10 years and 200k of daily driving, and if that proves to be the case the TCO at the end of that cycle should be quite tolerable. If I change my mind in 3-5 years I will certainly pay for the privilege.