Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstreaming/Drafting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real-world data: Heading west from Amarillo on I-40 at 65 mph into a 20 mph headwind (per Tesla Waze), I was using 410 kWh/mi and running well below the trip power curve. After tucking in 2-3 secs behind a truck (a cab towing a pair of cabs), consumption dropped to around 350 kWh/mi and I gradually recovered to the curve (well, close enough for comfort).

Traffic wasn't too heavy, visibility was excellent, and I never had the feeling that I couldn't react to traffic. I'm driving a classic P85, so autopilot didn't come into play.

Woof. 350 kWh/mi is a definite improvement, but you'd still only go about 1/4 mile. Methinks you mean Wh/mi.;)

Ever see a semi blowout? One let go about a 1/4 mile in front of me, and I was dodging airborne tire debris. You don't want to be close to one of those when they let go (and it happens more often than you might think - key an eye out for all those tread pieces in the shoulder).