TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slow Speed at Supercharger

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mtuhoop24, Jan 8, 2020.

1. mtuhoop24

mtuhoop24 Member

Hello - I have a 100D Model X - September 2018. I stopped a supercharger (120kw charger) this morning with about 36% battery life left. I plugged it in and the initial kw charging rate was around 75..............it moved up to 107 kw briefly - about 30 seconds or so........then settle down to a range of 60-65..........I have attached a picture of the screen. At 59% battery the kw were 64..............

Now, I know that it will never get to the max of 120 kw of the charger. I also know that the higher the battery percentage gets the lower the kw's.........................I also know that it was cold out too............lot's of factors. But I would have thought that it would charge for 10-15% increase at a higher rate than it ever did.

Thoughts?

2. forkee

forkee Member

welcome to the forums and enjoy your new tesla!

3. VikH

VikH Supporting Member

There are a lot of factors at play here.

1) It is cold in IL and your battery may have not preconditioned. Did you navigate to the supercharger (this enables preconditioning)?
    2) Tesla has messed with the Supercharging curve/taper in 2019. It seems like everyone (especially S and X) now Supercharge slower.
    3) The specific stall you plugged into may have not been functioning at 100%. Next time try to switch to a different cabinet. Each Supercharging stall has a specific health and some do not perform at 100%.

4. mtuhoop24

mtuhoop24 Member

OK - I did navigate to the supercharger so the battery was preconditioned. I didn't try and change plugs. I have notice that my whole batter, in my opinion, has degraded more than it should. But Tesla tells me other wise!

5. VikH

VikH Supporting Member

Which SC was it? Did you check PlugShare to see if any of the stalls are not functioning?

Yep, batterygate and chargegate happened in 2019. Everyone's Rated Range dropped last summer with an update. Tesla claims it was to make the range number more "realistic". Some have tested and found that they lost a few kw. I don't know if anyone has tested the 100 packs yet.

6. mtuhoop24

mtuhoop24 Member

Well a full charge used to be 294 miles and now if I get 274 it is a miracle.........90% is around 244 now.........big drop in my opinion. I do have 51K miles on my X and I know that makes a difference.

7. VikH

VikH Supporting Member

My Rated Range drop was roughly the same and I only have 25k miles. I have since switched to percent energy display. Ignorance is bliss :)

Also, just saw this on Reddit - Tesla supercharging speed limited after 2500 kWh of DC fastcharging : teslamotors

8. mtuhoop24

mtuhoop24 Member

I did the same thing - change to percentage. I also saw that there is ideal and rated mileage.......if you put it on ideal it looks a lot better........again ignorance is bliss! LOL

9. bayx

bayx Member

When I charge to 90%, I see 198 miles, but I never ever got above around 125 miles with battery down to around 10% from 90%. SC refuses to do anything about it.

Supercharging speed varies now for me too and usually is slower.

MX late 2018 delivery.

10. VikH

VikH Supporting Member

SCed yesterday when it was 20 F out. I think it was a V2 stall but I don’t know for sure. No one else was at the supercharger for the duration of the session. Started at 47% SOC. Immediately ramped to 114kw and stayed there for 5 mins. Then slowly ramped down. Was impressed I got over 100kw at 47% soc.

Attached Files: