Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Speed at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I have a 100D Model X - September 2018. I stopped a supercharger (120kw charger) this morning with about 36% battery life left. I plugged it in and the initial kw charging rate was around 75..............it moved up to 107 kw briefly - about 30 seconds or so........then settle down to a range of 60-65..........I have attached a picture of the screen. At 59% battery the kw were 64..............

Now, I know that it will never get to the max of 120 kw of the charger. I also know that the higher the battery percentage gets the lower the kw's.........................I also know that it was cold out too............lot's of factors. But I would have thought that it would charge for 10-15% increase at a higher rate than it ever did.

Thoughts?

Hello - I have a 100D Model X - September 2018. I stopped a supercharger (120kw charger) this morning with about 36% battery life left. I plugged it in and the initial kw charging rate was around 75..............it moved up to 107 kw briefly - about 30 seconds or so........then settle down to a range of 60-65..........I have attached a picture of the screen. At 59% battery the kw were 64..............

Now, I know that it will never get to the max of 120 kw of the charger. I also know that the higher the battery percentage gets the lower the kw's.........................I also know that it was cold out too............lot's of factors. But I would have thought that it would charge for 10-15% increase at a higher rate than it ever did.

Thoughts?

There are a lot of factors at play here.

1) It is cold in IL and your battery may have not preconditioned. Did you navigate to the supercharger (this enables preconditioning)?
2) Tesla has messed with the Supercharging curve/taper in 2019. It seems like everyone (especially S and X) now Supercharge slower.
3) The specific stall you plugged into may have not been functioning at 100%. Next time try to switch to a different cabinet. Each Supercharging stall has a specific health and some do not perform at 100%.

There are a lot of factors at play here.

1) It is cold in IL and your battery may have not preconditioned. Did you navigate to the supercharger (this enables preconditioning)?
2) Tesla has messed with the Supercharging curve/taper in 2019. It seems like everyone (especially S and X) now Supercharge slower.
3) The specific stall you plugged into may have not been functioning at 100%. Next time try to switch to a different cabinet. Each Supercharging stall has a specific health and some do not perform at 100%.

OK - I did navigate to the supercharger so the battery was preconditioned. I didn't try and change plugs. I have notice that my whole batter, in my opinion, has degraded more than it should. But Tesla tells me other wise!

OK - I did navigate to the supercharger so the battery was preconditioned. I didn't try and change plugs. I have notice that my whole batter, in my opinion, has degraded more than it should. But Tesla tells me other wise!

Which SC was it? Did you check PlugShare to see if any of the stalls are not functioning?

Yep, batterygate and chargegate happened in 2019. Everyone's Rated Range dropped last summer with an update. Tesla claims it was to make the range number more "realistic". Some have tested and found that they lost a few kw. I don't know if anyone has tested the 100 packs yet.

Which SC was it? Did you check PlugShare to see if any of the stalls are not functioning?

Yep, batterygate and chargegate happened in 2019. Everyone's Rated Range dropped last summer with an update. Tesla claims it was to make the range number more "realistic". Some have tested and found that they lost a few kw. I don't know if anyone has tested the 100 packs yet.

Well a full charge used to be 294 miles and now if I get 274 it is a miracle.........90% is around 244 now.........big drop in my opinion. I do have 51K miles on my X and I know that makes a difference.

When I charge to 90%, I see 198 miles, but I never ever got above around 125 miles with battery down to around 10% from 90%. SC refuses to do anything about it.

Supercharging speed varies now for me too and usually is slower.

MX late 2018 delivery.

SCed yesterday when it was 20 F out. I think it was a V2 stall but I don’t know for sure. No one else was at the supercharger for the duration of the session. Started at 47% SOC. Immediately ramped to 114kw and stayed there for 5 mins. Then slowly ramped down. Was impressed I got over 100kw at 47% soc.

Attachments

• F62802F3-AD67-41E0-AFFF-4EC70BE1A986.jpeg
    F62802F3-AD67-41E0-AFFF-4EC70BE1A986.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 348

Thoughts?
Hello, I just had a same issue. It is 31 degrees right now. I did navigate to the supercharger, and my car did precondition. I'm at a 250 kWh supercharger. My charge speed was maxing out at 85 mi/HR charge. I moved stalls and it immediately jumped to a constant 300 mi/HR. I always recommend moving stalls if you are charging at a speed slower than you'd expect.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Hello, I just had a same issue. It is 31 degrees right now. I did navigate to the supercharger, and my car did precondition. I'm at a 250 kWh supercharger. My charge speed was maxing out at 85 mi/HR charge. I moved stalls and it immediately jumped to a constant 300 mi/HR. I always recommend moving stalls if you are charging at a speed slower than you'd expect.
Happened to me yesterday at Tejon 150kW SuC. Max power was at 70 kW. I moved to the next stall and it immediately started at 133 kW.

Happened to me a couple weeks ago in Oregon.

Funny story, I was driving it home from the Portland service center after being stranded in Oregon days earlier and incurring $4000 worth of repairs after the cooling system failed at a supercharger at the beginning of a road trip (but that's another story). Naturally I was approaching my first supercharge on the way home with some trepidation. So when it levels off at only 30 kW I'm thinking oh God please tell me I can get home before midnight, please tell me their 'repairs' didn't involve permanently 'nerfing' the pack, etc.

Then it occurs to me to just switch stalls, and it went right up to 110 kW and everything has worked perfect ever since and I've moved on with my life.

• Funny
Reactions: tengtengvn
The 150 kw SuCs have shared slots, i.e 2A and 2B. If someone is plugged into 2A, and you choose 2B, you will get 72 kw max. It will also drop 2A down to max 72 kw. So always try to use a slot not shared. Hint: most of the time, shared slots are next to each other, but not always. Pay attention to the numbers. The V3 250 kw chargers do not have this characteristic, nor do the urban SuCs, although they max at 72 kw anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
urban SuCs, although they max at 72 kw anyway.
Sometime using the UB SuC is better than the throttled V2. During Thanksgiving, I arrived at the Stateline V2 SuC with low SoC and preconditioned battery but it maxed out at 50kW. I saw the 3 next to mine @ 50kW too. I remember there were multiple 3s and Ys charging there for a very long time too. That was painful.
I went to LA last weekend and nearly all of the V2 and V3 SuCs near the freeways were almost full so I went to the UB SuCs instead. The local must be out charging before 10AM to take advantage of the 24c/kWh.

How long were you driving while it was conditioning? If it was cold-soaked and freezing where you are, it can take upwards of 80 minutes for the battery heater to the battery up to optimum supercharging speed.