Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Y sometimes "wakes up" slowly:
  • The screen brightness doesn't update, leaving me blind while I back out of the garage.
  • The map doesn't update.
  • The stereo volume is very low.
There may be more, but that's what I've noticed. After about 3-5 minutes it finally shakes off the cobwebs and works normally. I've learned not to turn up the stereo volume, or else I'll get blasted out when the volume goes back to normal.

I think I've only noticed this when the car was parked overnight. I.e. I notice it backing out of the garage (sometimes) but not when I'm running errands around town.

Is this common? Is there any way to fix it?

Try either reformatting the dashcam drive in the glove compartment, or taking it out entirely, and seeing if its better.
Hm. Interesting idea. I'd be surprised if that's the cause, but it's worth a try.

Like any computer it needs time to boot up too 🤷🏻‍♂️
No, it's not booting up. It's up and alive as soon as I enter the car -- I suspect it's ALWAYS running. All functions are working, some just not quite as they should be. It just (sometimes) acts odd and impaired for a few minutes.

Though I suppose it's possible there are different processors/processes involved. Maybe some processes work right away, and part of their job is to display the nav screen, adjust the brightness/volume, etc. But other processes are responsible for *computing* the screen contents and whatever, and sometimes they get "stuck" or take a while to boot up. So the screen/volume/etc processes display whatever was left over from the previous night until the "compute current state" processes wake up and do their jobs. Seems a bit far-fetched, but possible.

So nobody else sees behavior like this?

Hm. Interesting idea. I'd be surprised if that's the cause, but it's worth a try.

No, it's not booting up. It's up and alive as soon as I enter the car -- I suspect it's ALWAYS running. All functions are working, some just not quite as they should be. It just (sometimes) acts odd and impaired for a few minutes.

Though I suppose it's possible there are different processors/processes involved. Maybe some processes work right away, and part of their job is to display the nav screen, adjust the brightness/volume, etc. But other processes are responsible for *computing* the screen contents and whatever, and sometimes they get "stuck" or take a while to boot up. So the screen/volume/etc processes display whatever was left over from the previous night until the "compute current state" processes wake up and do their jobs. Seems a bit far-fetched, but possible.

So nobody else sees behavior like this?

It definitely has been the cause for other people. What are you using for your dashcam drive?

I've had occaision where the screen doesn't come on right away- it will have a giant "unlocked" on screen and takes a sec to turn on.
Maybe happened 3-4 times. I think also only in the morning, after a long stop. Possible it is lagging to 'wake up' as you say.
Normal operation is instant "on".

Don't know why the glitch, yours seems far more frequent.