Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slower Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of forums, discussions and analysis on why constant supercharging can reduce battery life/capacity.

Is there any way to limit the kw on a supercharger? I dont mind staying a little longer at a Tesla supercharger if its going to damage my battery less in the long run. I don't have a home charger installed (not by choice, I live in flats), so planning to do a lot of supercharging this year.

Thanks in advance!

If you are concerned do you have an option to use AC if you can wait?

Other thing would be to avoid navigating to SuC as this starts battery pre heating if needed to increase charge speeds. Other than that though you can't do anything else really.

The problem with always using a DC charger is that the battery pack can get out of balance after a time. It top balances during the latter stage of an AC charge, when the on-board chargers modulate the charge current down to a low level, whilst the shunt balancers do their thing and try to bring every pack cell group to the same terminal voltage. This is generally a very good thing for battery health, which is why Tesla will limit supercharging after a time when the car has not had an AC charge for a while.

Even using the UMC that comes with the car every now and again, or a public AC charge point, just for the last 10 to 20% of the charge, will enable the BMS in the battery pack to do all its housekeeping stuff and keep the pack in tip top condition. Without this, there is a slight risk that the battery pack will degrade slightly, in addition to the issue that Tesla will start to limit rapid charging speed, in order to ensure any cell group imbalance isn't driven out side the safe limits.

No you can't, it'll always charge at the best it can considering the state of the battery charge and temperature.

I'm not entirely sure we know yet what the long term effects are on a Model 3, and particularly the 2021 refresh which has different cells to the previous. Yes there was certainly throttling applied to certain packs on the Model S, but those batteries were multiple generations ago now. Tesla Bjorn had a theory, but I also think he's disproved that for himself more recently. Here's a video about a post where someone with 100K miles on a Model 3 and reportedly had no throttling

I think it depends how long you plan to keep the car, how many miles. If it's less than 120K miles then I wouldn't worry at all, Tesla provide a warrenty that the battery won't degrade more than 30%. I would avoid charging to 100% or leaving it to under 20% as that's what Tesla advise.

For the record, I've driven 14K miles since August 2019, charged it 3697KWH at home and 876KWH at SuperChargers and I currently have 4.23% battery degradation according to TeslaFi.

You can’t limit supercharging speed, you could avoid V3 chargers if you have a choice but that’s it.

The issue is the faster you charge the more you can build up a change to the coating of the anode which then reduces the performance of the cell. It’s one of the reasons so much discussion on anode coatings are so popular. In addition to general build up or failing of the coatings, if individual cells degrade differently to others they become the limiting factor and the car has to use these as the limit as cell balancing (which is automatic, just leave the car alone over night) won’t pull the weakened cells up. The BMS has to drop the whole battery pack to the capabilities of the weakest link (which is what chargegate and batterygate were all about) because forcing cells beyond their happy state was thought to be a fire risk.

In essence, just see it as the faster you charge the more strain you put on it, just like accelerating hard puts more strain on car components than doing so gently. Whether it becomes a material issue isn’t guaranteed, you’re just increasing the build up of wear.

Cell balancing and BMS calibration are entirely different things and nothing to do with supercharging. You can read more on that here
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

There are several issues being conflated here, though. Cell group balancing needs a slow charge rate - the balancers in the BMS just cannot handle high shunt currents.

The pack can go without cell group balancing for a few dozen charges, as in general, the design of the pack is tolerant of, and self-compensates to some degree, for the small differences in capacity and internal cell resistance between individual cells (the main reason for cell groups to drift out of balance).

The BMS seems to only actively balance cell groups when the opportunity arises, which seems to be to top balance at the end of an AC charge, when the BMS can actively control the chargers to reduce charge current to within the dissipation limit of the shunt resistors. At all other times, the BMS just commands the charge current to reduce based on cell group terminal voltage during charging, to ensure that no cell group exceeds the upper threshold voltage (max is 4.2 V per cell group, but it looks as if Tesla may use a more conservative value of around 4.15 V per cell group, perhaps (these voltages being for the non LFP cells, LFP is more than a little bit different).

It seems probable that the BMS not only logs the number of DC charges since the last cell group balancing event, but also logs the rate at which cell groups are going out of balance. If the pack is staying in balance, without the need for active balancing at the latter stages of an AC charge, then there would be no reason to throttle back rapid DC charging. On the other hand, if there is some voltage drift between cell groups, it seems probable that the BMS may well start to throttle rapid DC charging in order to protect the pack, and, perhaps, notify the owner that an AC charge is needed in order for the BMS to complete all its housekeeping work.

There is some speculation here, but most of it is based on my experience of building battery packs and battery management systems, and trying to determine what works well and what doesn't. In general, cell group balancing is much less of an issue with the topology that Telsa have adopted, with many cells connected in parallel within each cell group. Other topologies, like those with just one big cell in each cell group, seem very much more prone to going out of balance after only a handful of non-balancing charges.

Finally, rapid charging isn't rapid at all as far as cell C rate goes. Some power tools charge at higher C rates than even a V3 charger, as that only charges at about 3C, which is pretty feeble, and way less than the max discharge C rate. I've charged packs at 20 C before now, using older cell chemistry, too.

Last edited:
For the record, I've driven 14K miles since August 2019, charged it 3697KWH at home and 876KWH at SuperChargers and I currently have 4.23% battery degradation according to TeslaFi.
Teslafi don't know, they just reporting what its told by the car which in itself is a heavily simplified and aggregated figure from the BMS and they are guessing the rest. Its well know that the BMS can drift especially on the M3 and MY and you can find various threads and websites that explain how to help the BMS recalibrate which seem to invariably bring back the reported lost range.

Is there any way to limit the kw on a supercharger? I dont mind staying a little longer at a Tesla supercharger if its going to damage my battery less in the long run. I don't have a home charger installed (not by choice, I live in flats), so planning to do a lot of supercharging this year.

Thanks in advance!
Not quite limit the speed of a supercharger, but you can charge at another company's 50kW charger... 1C or less.. almost trickle charging..

I'm answering your question, and keeping out of the balancing arguments...

Teslafi don't know, they just reporting what its told by the car which in itself is a heavily simplified and aggregated figure from the BMS and they are guessing the rest. Its well know that the BMS can drift especially on the M3 and MY and you can find various threads and websites that explain how to help the BMS recalibrate which seem to invariably bring back the reported lost range.
Variably actually, I went through that process and it had a small effect that was quite temporary. I haven't been keeping my car charged to a set figure anyway, it's had plenty of chance to calibrate at other charge levels. While I agree that TeslaFi is all about extrapolation from lower levels of charge it's not that unreasonable.

I suppose if you/people tried to charge slow on superchargers, and it was busy (people waiting) you might not be very popular.
But charging at 50kw chargers instead might be an option.
The ecotricity type chargers max out at about 43kw anyway, but I think they give you a 45 minute charge window and then kick you off, else people hog them.