Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Screen Font on UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why so many people think they know better about other people's eyes.
I can see the time and temp fine when sitting in my driveway. But when I am driving and paying proper attention and the car might be vibrating a bit the time to refocus is just not necessary and potentially unsafe. The same goes for other small font errors and warnings.
PCs allow changing font sizes in many applications and browsers, etc. So do phones. Any when using these devices you aren't (hopefully) also operating a large heavy vehicle.
If you are unsure of how eyes change with age stop making suggestions and go ask your parents or grand parents.
But the real ask is for Tesla to make this very simple change before making more games and other fun stuff.
It will be safer and will sell more vehicles at some point.

Contacts or glasses would not help. The problem is as you get older your eyes can't change focus. You need one set of glasses/contacts to see the road. And another set of glasses/contacts to see something up close like the screen.

Exactly right!

I can't quite read the small type for time, navigation items, and other items. If I wore glasses specially made for that distance I could, but that would not be practical. It should not be necessary for us with presbyopia to have special bifocals just to drive our Teslas.

What does it take to get Tesla to increase the type size by a couple points? Do we have to picket the show rooms? Surely it would not take the discovery of a new law of physics just to increase the type size by a couple points.

There are posts about the wonderful improvements downloaded to improve the entertainment system of the model S. Surely it is at least as important to make screen items visible!

The OP is complaining about not being able to read the temp, time, or map. I've spent quite a bit of time analyzing your "traditional car" photo, and I cannot read (or even find) the temp, time, or map. Older cars had less information to convey, so they could get away with using larger fonts.

That said, I agree 100% that there should be a font-size setting. Even if 99% of people like it the way it is, there should be an option for people with difficulty focusing up close. However significantly larger font settings will most likely require removing some elements from the screen. So the OP still may not be able to read the map, because Tesla might have to remove the map to accommodate the larger fonts on everything else.

YES. My whole point. Give me the option of removing elements I don't need or use and expand the ones I do. And I disagree older cars had less status info. to display. I do not have to monitor engine temp, oil pressure, engine RPM, engine error codes - mostly related to emissions, or battery voltage on my Tesla. All I need is state of charge - equivalent to fuel level, time, and mileage. Tire monitoring is a nice to have, but I check manually even on the Tesla since it doesn't come up while I am parked in the driveway and can do something about low pressure. All else is "fluff" I don't need to know while driving.

Incidently, the Temp gauge only has a single value written - which is irrelevant. If gauge is creeping to the right of center, there is a problem. Since ignition not on, clock is not displaying - the numbers are larger than the ones on the speedometer. I almost always use my phone for maps - I can zoom in and STAY zoomed in on the area of interest - and the turn by turns are voice anyway regardless of whether I use Google or Tesla. And I don't use maps at all for 95% of my trips. I only "play" with the Tesla map display occasionally to see if it's improved enough to switch from the phone.

I also agree with the OP. In my 20's I had 20/15 vision which worked very well. Now that I can actually afford a Tesla, my vision sucks. It's probably 20/25 but I can't read any of the error messages or most of what is on the top line on the screen without putting glasses on. Luckily I do have AutoSteer, so turn on autosteer, put on glasses, read what is needed. React to TACC or autosteer abrupt slow down. Yes, it works and is a bit safer but not ideal. I submitted a suggestion to Tesla asking for Boomer mode. The UI has enough room to allow 2 or 3 different font sizes. However, changing a font size is a lot of work and a lot of testing since it will affect a lot of things. All of the menu options for example. Maybe they could allow a bigger font for just the main screen, and we can use glasses within the menu system.

Somehow they figured out how to make your current speed in a big font, even though they have only one font size for that.
For the error and warning messages they use one font but the messages have a varying length. They should be able to figure out how to make the font size ~1.5 or 2x as big and just do that for everyone if making a variable font size is too difficult.

Reactions: drdumont
Maybe if the design people would quit fooling around with the totally superfluous and childish toys and games, then concentrate on useful, oft requested features, we would have information in a font size we can safely and easily read. Maybe even - dare I dream? - moving the seat heater switches somewhere so I don't hit them when trying to adjust the HVAC.
Get rid of the games and use the memory space for a modifiable layout!

Maybe if the design people would quit fooling around with the totally superfluous and childish toys and games, then concentrate on useful, oft requested features, we would have information in a font size we can safely and easily read. Maybe even - dare I dream? - moving the seat heater switches somewhere so I don't hit them when trying to adjust the HVAC.
Get rid of the games and use the memory space for a modifiable layout!
RIGHT?! Seat heater buttons that I don’t use 10 months of the year, are actually larger than the control arrows, get in the way of them and are actually automatic anyway?! I can’t tell you how many times my butt has roasted until I look to see that I’ve accidentally turned them on!

I carry a magnifying glass to see some of the stuff so I don't have to lean down to read the screen, especially in the daytime.
The numbers on the energy graph, the outside temp, time, etc, the error messages that pop up in the left column, even the number on the fuel gauge... THere's no reason for them to be in 8 point type.
And the stupid thing is there is PLENTY of room for larger fonts which would be readable without really having to shift your focus. A quick glance at the speed, the driving display, and back to the road. I hardly even think about it.
Now if I were sitting at my desk with a nice big monitor, and no sun glare coming at me from six different directions, and the ability to do a <CTRL>+ or <CTRL>- now and then, everything would be good.
But our concerns are completely annoyed, but hey look! We've got a new game to play! Now that there's sumthin' we really gotta have!

Guys, making a post here isn't going to help...I highly doubt Tesla is reading these forums. I would use voice prompt and say, "report a bug", followed by the suggestion...also check out this thread:

How to submit UI improvement suggestions

And for the record, I agree 100% that we should be able to customize the display. I actually can't believe some ppl are criticizing that request! Telling others they should improve their eyesight with lasik, contacts or whatever is really crazy IMO (and rude).

It's also irrelevant what has existed in the past with small guage clusters, etc... We own this car NOW, which has this screen now, which should be fully customizable now!

Last edited:
Why is the font so freaking small on the UI (Temp, Time, etc...). Also, sometimes there are words/locations on the map that are right under the clock and you can't read it! Why can't we adjust the font size??? Since I am near sighted, I have to remove my glasses to read it while driving. It is a hazard. Tesla, please let us adjust font size!!!!

Coachscot, many us of with the same problem have been complaining for quite some time. It looks as though Tesla has no intention of making it possible to increase the font size. Perhaps if there are a few law suites resulting from crashes caused by drivers struggling to read the screen Tesla will respond. Fixing the problem would not require the discovery of a new law of physics.

Far sighted people with presbyopia have a somewhat similar problem. Their distance vision may be excellent but they have to put their glasses on to read the screen.

i've seen a couple of these threads spattered here and there and I wonder, what did you do before we had screens? the numbers on the gauges aren't adjustable and can be argued they're difficult, at best, to read. additional numbers, settings and warnings have traditionally been at a non-intrusive "size" in most vehicles. did they just not bother you before, or you just didn't pay attention.

OP, not bashing your thread, but there is a limit to what a UI can do and still be "safe" across all markets. while i agree the "cell phone" status bar at the top is a bit small (for a vehicle), i'm not sure adding a "high visibility" interface would improve the UI much.

i suppose given the real estate on the screen, it should be possible, but you run the risk of branched development and one UI might be missing features the other UI isn't (translation: it can get really expensive).

personally, the most important visualizations are already the most visible IMO. the rest is just distractions.

I had no problem before touch screens. The instruments had a larger type size than the touch screens have. For the temperature gauge and the fuel gauge it was not even necessary to read the numbers; one could easily see the position of the needle.

The fact that there are numerous complaints about the small font size clearly indicates that it is a problem which should be corrected. For reasons that I do not understand we are being ignored. It may be that if Consumer Reports reports the problem in its articles and sales suffer as a result, then Tesla will respond. But probably they will not respond as long as they have a backlog of orders unless there are lawsuits resulting from crashes caused by drivers struggling to read the screen. Of course drivers should not let themselves be distracted by the touch screen, but we know that some will.

Reactions: RNHurt and drdumont
I find it to be the right size. Lasik?

NO! Lasic would not solve the problem. You do not understand the problem, but you are not the only one.

Although I've made other posts on this subject, I decided that a more thorough post is needed. So, here it is.

For those who do not adequately understand vision, the problem is presbyopia. That is the age-related stiffening of the internal lens of the eye. When the internal lens stiffens it is no longer able to change shape to adjust for different distances. That process generally begins at about age 40 and becomes worse with age. If one is nearsighted, one can still focus very well on near-by things but not distant things without wearing classes with concave lenses. If one is farsighted, one may be able to focus very well on distant objects without glasses but cannot focus on nearby things without glasses with convex lenses. People with presbyopia may even have vision better than 20:20 with the proper corrective glasses for a specific distance. It should be noted that 20:20 is normal average vision. Some people have 20:10 vision which is twice as good as 20:20. But without changing lenses, presbyopia makes it impossible to see things which are both near and far away.

Note that being nearsighted or farsighted is separate from presbyopia.

I happen to be nearsighted. I can read the touch screen just fine without my glasses but not with the glasses I need for clear distant vision. To read the touch screen I need to take my glasses off. Of course I could get bifocals but those cause other problems which I shall not go into here since this post is already quite long. But readers with presbyopia will know exactly what I am writing about.

I really which that this were more widely understood.

Last edited:
I also agree with the OP. In my 20's I had 20/15 vision which worked very well. Now that I can actually afford a Tesla, my vision sucks. It's probably 20/25 but I can't read any of the error messages or most of what is on the top line on the screen without putting glasses on. Luckily I do have AutoSteer, so turn on autosteer, put on glasses, read what is needed. React to TACC or autosteer abrupt slow down. Yes, it works and is a bit safer but not ideal. I submitted a suggestion to Tesla asking for Boomer mode. The UI has enough room to allow 2 or 3 different font sizes. However, changing a font size is a lot of work and a lot of testing since it will affect a lot of things. All of the menu options for example. Maybe they could allow a bigger font for just the main screen, and we can use glasses within the menu system.

"Boomer mode", love it. :D
It is not just about people's eyesight getting worse with age, but it is an accessibility issue which any developer should take into consideration during the UI & UX development of software. I don't think it is too much to ask to have some font size or high contrast settings to make the car more 'accessible' for potential buyers or existing buyers with deteriorating eyesight.

It is not just for those with less than perfect vision. If you glance at the screen to see something just as your car goes over rough pavement, a pothole, a small bump, etc your natural inclination is to keep looking for an extra second or two. This is how (some) accidents happen.
Tesla already knew this or figured it out when they chose the speedometer font size. Granted, the time and temperature (for example) are not as critical as speed. But then what about the gear (P D N R)? In a panic (i.e. when someone forgets and might be pressing on the wrong pedal) you'll never see these, most likely.