Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Screen Font on UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've seen a couple of these threads spattered here and there and I wonder, what did you do before we had screens? the numbers on the gauges aren't adjustable and can be argued they're difficult, at best, to read. additional numbers, settings and warnings have traditionally been at a non-intrusive "size" in most vehicles. did they just not bother you before, or you just didn't pay attention.

OP, not bashing your thread, but there is a limit to what a UI can do and still be "safe" across all markets. while i agree the "cell phone" status bar at the top is a bit small (for a vehicle), i'm not sure adding a "high visibility" interface would improve the UI much.

i suppose given the real estate on the screen, it should be possible, but you run the risk of branched development and one UI might be missing features the other UI isn't (translation: it can get really expensive).

personally, the most important visualizations are already the most visible IMO. the rest is just distractions.
You are way off the mark here.
In other cars important information, speed time etc is always easily visible with a glimpse. All controls are through fixed buttons. Here you have to open menus, without ability to quickly read it is not usable.
I am farsighted and I cannot see remaining range, time, when my next turn is on GPS. I cannot read any of the warnings the car is displaying.
It is like driving the tesla with screen turned off. Or I have to look at the screen for 4 seconds to read anything. Keep my eyes off the road that long?
The fonts should be larger by default or give an option for it.
You have freaking large screen you have enough room for any font size.

There are plenty of options for treating presbyopia.

You should probably talk to your eye Dr about crystal lense replacement.

They make bifocal contacts as well which would also be a good option.

Let me tell ya, I have worn contact since the early 80s. My vision, uncorrected is -16.5 diopters. I can read the time and temp just fine.
I should fix my eyes in order to drive a tesla?

Reactions: AC2DC and Jclboston
NO!

Bifocals would solve the problem, but I hate them; they cause other problems. I could take my glasses off to look at the screen then put them back on to see the road, but that would be distracting and dangerous.

The obvious solution would be to have a larger font size for the navigation system and time. There is plenty of room on the screen to increase the font size by 1 or 2 points. I'm quite certain that many Tesla drivers have the same problem.
At the vet least throw in a high contrast option for the text to make it pop

I find it to be the right size. Lasik?
That is awesome for you. The question was why can we not customize/increase the size of the font for safety; even to the detriment of the visual appeal. The question is fairly straight forward, and was not suggesting that everyone have the same enlarged font… Just the ability to enlarge it, if preferred. There is no way that the UI cannot be upgraded with this feature, after seeing all the other customization requests out there.

Reactions: Vincent T and AC2DC
You are way off the mark here.
In other cars important information, speed time etc is always easily visible with a glimpse. All controls are through fixed buttons. Here you have to open menus, without ability to quickly read it is not usable.
I am farsighted and I cannot see remaining range, time, when my next turn is on GPS. I cannot read any of the warnings the car is displaying.
It is like driving the tesla with screen turned off. Or I have to look at the screen for 4 seconds to read anything. Keep my eyes off the road that long?
The fonts should be larger by default or give an option for it.
You have freaking large screen you have enough room for any font size.
@Baybay408:
Take a look at the gauges in am ICE. The fonts are larger than on the Tesla screen. They are also high contrast.

There are a number of eye problems which affect the ability to switch from road vision to screen vision...
Cataracts cause issues with contrast and glare. I had my cataracts removed and lens implants and it cured the issue immediately.

@Bill Foster: Sometimes cataract surgery or other medical procedures are not possible for an individual. Why not a simple software solution?

I have been violently nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the the other since forever. This aggravated the screen read condition, even with
Varilux lenses.
I have Macral Degeneration in both eyes, worse in my nearsighted eye. This aggravated the near screen condition.
Color blindedness can aggravate the problem. (Not me, denks Gott!)
Glare can aggravate readability.

As an experiment, I created a screen on my tablet, same size as Tesla screen. Same display. I was able to change font sizes, font and background colors (without moving any of the display items) with a tap. I mounted the screen so I could swing it in or out of the way. On several tries, with my particular maladies in full swing, merely changing changing the font sizes and the font/background contrast without changing the layout one whit made the text easily readable. I also made the accel/decel line thicker like it was originally.

Fortunately, my cataracts are gone, my lens implants work fine, and my MD has subsided in the bad eye. So I can deal with the current font size. But there is no reason I can see that with a little programming, a customization to attend a real need could not be done.

Maybe they could take a little time off from writing insipid games, fart noises and other silly options, some practical programming could happen.

I'd really like to know the reason for the change in the first place.

Last edited:
I can't read the remaining battery range on my model 3 when driving into the sun but can read my speed. There are 104 sq. inches of display, with 1/8 of 1 square inch given to the mileage reading, including the little battery symbol. About 90 square inches are unused. How about giving 1/2 of one square inch to the range display? We could then all read the range display young and old and in bright light and darkness.

I am a mechanical engineer and worked for the millitary designing cockpit displays for aircraft. When ever we made a design the military would have a number of people, not engineer but users, test our design in all enviroments. After that review you find out what is wrong with your display. My guess is that the Tesla display wouldn't pass test no 1. How about doubling the size of that display in the next software update? I would be so easy. Go sit in the seat of an aircraft and study every detail.