Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon and autopark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have it on my current model 3, not worth it.
Auto park takes longer than parking it yourself and summon is a great party trick. I can count on both hands the number of times I’ve actually used it, on one hand the number of times I used it for a legit reason and not just to show off.

Not worth the risk right now, just leaving it off. Honestly will probably leave it off for the whole life of the car. While I bought FSD and think it is the best implementation on the highway of any car I have driven... I just don't trust it even at slow speeds by itself, but especially not in a parking lot. Maybe one day in a year or two ill give it a try in a completely empty parking lots (with no light posts or anything). But no desire to try it right now.

I used autopark constantly on my MS and now on my MX. It's a better, more consistent parker than me, and NEVER scrapes the rims against the curb. Trading X for a Y (Telsa, where's my VIN? Pretty please?), I hope it works as well there...
As above, never ever used summons, wouldn't trust it.

How well does smart summon work? How about autopark?

I've found auto-park to be pretty flawless when it decides I CAN auto-park, though I always keep an eye on it. Smart summon is a more a party trick, but it's been nice a few times when its pouring with rain and the car is the other end of a big parking lot. Some people have had issues with it hitting posts when backing out, I've not seen this but clearly it DOES happen, so ymmv.

Both features useless to me... I tried the autopark feature and it would take me 10 times as long to drive around the parking lot until the P comes up as opposed to just parking the car... Summon is a party trick. Looking back now I don't think I would even get the FSD... driving streets at speed limit and prompting green lights is tedious. I don't like the way the car decided to autolane change on highway. Honestly, the most useful features are autosteer and adaptive cruise control - part of the included autopilot. I am really hoping the FSD will improve to something more useful soon, otherwise $7,000 dollars went down the drain.

• Helpful
Reactions: BMax_V.2
Both features useless to me... I tried the autopark feature and it would take me 10 times as long to drive around the parking lot until the P comes up as opposed to just parking the car... Summon is a party trick. Looking back now I don't think I would even get the FSD... driving streets at speed limit and prompting green lights is tedious. I don't like the way the car decided to autolane change on highway. Honestly, the most useful features are autosteer and adaptive cruise control - part of the included autopilot. I am really hoping the FSD will improve to something more useful soon, otherwise $7,000 dollars went down the drain.

The speed limit of FSD on 45mph roads is annoying, everyone passes you and looks at you like your stupid or something.. should always be a 5mph buffet as speed limits are usually arbitrarily set 5mph lower then they should be for tax collection purposes (speeding tickets). Also stopping at the green lights is annoying too... I realize it's "beta" but seems to cause more issues than it solves right now, slowing when no traffic around can cause an accident from cars behind you not reacting in time due to the unexpected slow down for a green light.

I will say on the highway FSD is nice, it drives well there.