Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're way overestimating YouTube revenue and way underestimating Tesla body shop prices. The most likely explanation is that people have not been watching YouTube videos of summon and are instead relying on the website description. Really. :p
That user seems to believe any bad thing involving a Tesla is the work of a global conspiracy to devalue Tesla stock, or individuals looking to financially benefit from the attention. That there may be actual unhappy customers or imperfections in Tesla products is seemingly beyond the boundaries of possibilities.

Reactions: DrDabbles
That user seems to believe any bad thing involving a Tesla is the work of a global conspiracy to devalue Tesla stock, or individuals looking to financially benefit from the attention. That there may be actual unhappy customers or imperfections in Tesla products is seemingly beyond the boundaries of possibilities.

nah, the guy posting the video was just dumb, nothing more nothing less.

I used summon on day one to back out of the garage. i agree with Elon that it is a party trick accessory like horn farting.
My question for Elon would be why the hell is he releasing "party trick" features that involve unreliable software moving a multi-ton self-propelled object.

If it's merely a party trick and it's not useful or reliable, why put it out in the wild? Software that controls the movement of the car is very different from a juvenile "fart horn" or other such silliness.

My question for Elon would be why the hell is he releasing "party trick" features that involve unreliable software moving a multi-ton self-propelled object.

If it's merely a party trick and it's not useful or reliable, why put it out in the wild? Software that controls the movement of the car is very different from a juvenile "fart horn" or other such silliness.
It is all about viral marketing and hyping the brand and the the stock. Quite cynical. In a post-factual world where people seek new beliefs and "the good cause" a lot of companies do this, but any car manufacturer is in a special position since their products might easily kill someone, innocent third parties included. Don't let kids hang around when showing of summon to friends!

oh my; don't know what to day. at first i thought it was a joke that no one would try this with a new car. i never even tried the summon on my 5 year old tesla. i learned from other people never to trust it. the title here should be something more like "i let my car run into a tree"
I find people that say "never" or "always" when complaining about something tend to ignore the exceptions to "never" or "always."

"I don't like it / I don't know how to use it. ELON Y U DEPLOY THIS? REMOVE FROM ALL!!!11!1!!111!!one!"

Chill. I like a lot of the useless crap in my car. I fart pedestrians and make them laugh, I play the crazy frog and a 64K modem sound while driving near my GF's house and she knows I'm there and that makes her laugh. I even let a kid park my Y into my garage through the phone. He had the time of his life!

Just because you fail to see value in those things, doesn't mean there isn't any. I'm happy with FSD and with my fart speaker retrofit. And I'm happy there are fun games I can play while I'm waiting 5-10 minutes for my girlfriend to get ready. Which is usually 45-60. 🤡

To "never" use it is clearly hyperbole. There are multiple use cases where it works - safely and effectively. "Never" implies 100% failure rate, which is absolutely a falsehood.
No, the advice to "never" use it implies that the failure rate cost exceeds the use case benefit.
Also, the post simply said never to trust it which seems perfectly in agreement with the user manual.

From the manual; "It is the drivers responsibility to use Summon Safely, responsibly, and as intended." Party trick or not, the responsibility is on you. I realize that in today's World it is so much easier to blame others.
Again, the issue is that when used as intended (as shown on the website) it cannot be used safely and responsibly. So you're asking people to do something that is literally impossible.

When did I say it never works?
You could drink a six pack and drive 50mph on a residential street and not crash. I would still advise people never to do that even though it works more often than not.
You're quoting someone who says it should never be used. That means it never works. Again, I'm not understanding your defense of the absurd proposition that Smart Summon should NEVER be used. Specifically, "i learned from other people never to trust it."