Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart to buy '16 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd go for it, IF there was absolutely no way to budget for a newer X, and the car was fully covered by warranty.

As much as I love my X, I wouldn't own it were it not for the warranty- which has come in handy a few times for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum
it is really good car and battery supposedly declines most in first 2-3 years so what you get now per range would stay longer.
However 2016 version most likely has AP1. As I remember they started installing AP2 hardware around October so it is worth to check if it is AP1 or AP2. If possible and financially feasible I would go for AP2 which is supposed to be capable of self-driving "soon" (in a few years) but advanced AP2 with v9 is coming "sooner" :) in a few days... or hopefully months :)

It is still good buy if the price is good even without AP1. All depends what price you are getting it for.

Reactions: r0xx0r
Depending on the pricing, that's still an amazing car, better than almost anything else. (Ask me - I own one. :p )

But as noted above, models before October (like my late August delivery) have the much less capable computer and single camera of AP1 - and sometime this month that's finally going to start mattering as v9 unlocks some of the potential of AP2 at long last.

I'm not saying don't buy an AP1 car - they are still great cars and AP1 is very useful. I am saying that I'd expect to pay significantly ($5k-7k?) less for an AP1 car all things being equal - and if a car that eventually drives itself is on your priority list, it's probably worth it to keep looking and find an AP2 car you can afford.

I have both a 3k and 103k X.

The newest one is so much more solid but then again I’ve had good luck with the first one after some teething pains (which by now I’m assuming you wouldn’t have to deal with).

FWIW: AP1 is a great product and in many respects is better than AP2...read through this site for data points to get a better understanding.

I just picked up a 8/16 X and it is pretty flawless except for the fact that the detailing team broke one of the FWD right when I landed to pick it up lol. I was able to drive it home anyway though and it is now in service to get that fixed and uncorked.
Keep an eye on the prices of the CPO, they are definitely pricing the premium upgrades package pretty high. There are a lot of good deals if you don't want the premium upgrades package.

I recently got a 2016 X. I don't really have much of a comparison between later ones, but personally I'd rather save the 30K plus that I did. I wasn't worried about AP1 vs 2, partly because of the discussions around current ability (although one would assume that AP2 has more potential). I also have a 4 year warrantee so hopefully that will solve the majority of issues that I'll have. The folding second row would have been nice for the 7 seater, but I got the 6.

So for me new ones didn't have the value that made it worthwhile (although that might be partially ignorance on my part), but for others the benefits of 3 more years of experience building it might be better. I have a number of (luckily) small build problems that frustrate me, but I don't know if that would have been solved with a newer build.

I have never been a fan of the 1st year or any car. Tesla tried a lot of things with the Model X. Some where great, some not so great. Since then they have made a number of tweaks that have made the car better. Only you can decide if these changes are worth the price difference.

Oh, and regarding the battery, that is one area I would not worry about. 8 year battery and powertrain warranty means you have 5 years left.

I have never been a fan of the 1st year or any car. Tesla tried a lot of things with the Model X. Some where great, some not so great. Since then they have made a number of tweaks that have made the car better. Only you can decide if these changes are worth the price difference.

Oh, and regarding the battery, that is one area I would not worry about. 8 year battery and powertrain warranty means you have 5 years left.

Gotta remember that Elon called the whole X program an "exercise in hubris". It's ridiculous compared to the Model 3.

Controlling for production and delivery, all the various "hells" made that launch so much smoother than the X.

I would trust a first production Model Y with Tesla's increased acumen at product releases.

When I mean "increased acumen" that's relative to Tesla, not anyone else. :D

Just curious if y'all think it's wise to purchase a low mileage 2016 Model X? Deal is hard to pass up, but there's obviously the concern of an almost 3 year old model with a declining battery, etc etc.

The battery should be the very least of your issues with an early X, especially as it's low mileage too. What you do need to worry about are the FWDs. Make sure they are fully sorted since early cars had all manner of FWD issues and many parts were later updated to resolve. General build quality was not great either and very hit or miss, so you need to inspect the car up close and personal before committing to buy it. It could be good, it could be a complete dog or anything in-between! As a car to drive the X is amazing if you don't have any reliability issues. Later models are in general better built, but not guaranteed.

A 2016 MX will also have free unlimited Supercharging, which you will not get with later model vehicles. Those delivered after the referral-based unlimited Supercharging started (mid-January 2017) are not transferable to the second owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Can you get a list of things that have been done on the car? There have been upgrades to the door handles and the b-pillar FWD switch, it may have had the half shfts replaced, and even a seat or two replaced. Not that any of it matters since the driving is the same but you may get a sense if early build issues have been addressed or are waiting for you.