Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smashed insects on the front of the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions on how to keep the front of the Y bug free. With no grill, the front seems to be a bug magnet. Does anyone make a bra for the Y?
The modern answer is ppf, paint protection film. The front bumper kit from Xpel costs $451. I just got my car back from the shop today. The labor for installing 4 kits for the entire front half of the car and the rear fenders was $400. You can search on YouTube (and elsewhere) for "model y ppf". Some people do it themselves but the front bumper is very tricky.

Someone in another thread said they used Saran Wrap. This is certainly much less expensive.

Reactions: ucsdsig
The modern answer is ppf, paint protection film. The front bumper kit from Xpel costs $451. I just got my car back from the shop today. The labor for installing 4 kits for the entire front half of the car and the rear fenders was $400. You can search on YouTube (and elsewhere) for "model y ppf". Some people do it themselves but the front bumper is very tricky.

Someone in another thread said they used Saran Wrap. This is certainly much less expensive.
I think you meant rear door flare???

Reactions: BitJam
I think you meant rear door flare???
Tomayto tomahto. The Tesla web site says "rear fenders" while Xpel says "rear wheel impact area". I think your description of "rear door flare" is better. Perhaps they should say "the part of the car that gets pummeled if you don't have front mud flaps". The first thing I did after getting the car was to install front mud flaps.

The key to removing dead insects, bird droppings or tree sap from a vehicle is to do so promptly. I have always used Windex cleaner because it contains ammonia that is an excellent cleaner and also a de-greaser. Ammonia will strip wax but I only spray the immediate area that needs cleaning. I let the Windex cleaner sit for about 30 seconds before wiping the surface. Stubborn spots require a second treatment but will come off with a bit of rubbing with a clean rag or a paper towel. Road tar sometimes requires stronger cleaning. I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover for the heavy lifting.

1629304888506.png

You could design one of these!!!!!

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Has anyone used Gtechniq W8 for removing bugs? It got recommended as the best bug remover by Pan the organizer and his detailing vids are pretty good. My car has bugs that have been stuck on for a year, which I know is horrible for the paint.