Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMS Text Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texting while driving is definitely a killer feature. Just don't kill me with your inattention to the road.

Texting on the phone with your fingers while driving is illegal but listening to TXT hands-free is not. That's why car manufacturers and smart phones driving mode offers Text-To-Speech on incoming TXT. It's a safety feature. Even with it being illegal, I see people holding up their phone and txting all the time... it would be much safer if their cars has the Text-To-Speech feature.

Texting on the phone with your fingers while driving is illegal but listening to TXT hands-free is not. That's why car manufacturers and smart phones driving mode offers Text-To-Speech on incoming TXT. It's a safety feature. Even with it being illegal, I see people holding up their phone and txting all the time... it would be much safer if their cars has the Text-To-Speech feature.
It would also be safer if FSD would be available.

The same way that carplay and android auto do it, the message is read to you and you can respond via voice command.

This is by no means a killer feature, but it is one that should exist on cars as advanced as those that Tesla offers.

I've never understood why people think that the car should support such features, but that may be because my phone supports that feature with any Bluetooth device all on its own, and is probably better than how any car integration feature works. Of course "nobody" besides me actually uses Windows 10 Mobile. (Not exactly true, but even the people I know that used to have been leaving for Android, and then they complain about the lack of a Cortana like assistant.)

My take. Tesla is not a normal car company. I feel they don't cave to something they feel is not safe. You may argue your text message is read out to you and you respond with a voice reply, however they may feel that Texting while driving is not what they want to promote. I think this is highly over looked. Remember one of their main goal is to create a car that is safe . I also feel you can push the call feature and just talk to your friends. Remember, if you don't respond to all your friends text messages, they will get the hint, " OH THEY ARE DRIVING THAT TESLA AGAIN." Besides, I don't want to be interrupted while enjoying my amazing driving experience. For the ones that do, maybe a Tesla is not for you.

I've never understood why people think that the car should support such features, but that may be because my phone supports that feature with any Bluetooth device all on its own, and is probably better than how any car integration feature works. Of course "nobody" besides me actually uses Windows 10 Mobile. (Not exactly true, but even the people I know that used to have been leaving for Android, and then they complain about the lack of a Cortana like assistant.)

Why rely on multiple devices when the car should be a tool to help do it for you? It's valid that you can use siri or google assistant to do some of this stuff without needing integration into the car, but integrating it into the cars software would just be better. It's natural progression for technology. How many people are running around with garmin GPS' when you can have it as an option in many cars?

Reactions: chinnam3
LOL. It would take Tesla about two months to integrate CarPlay and Android Auto into their system.
Good to know that your automotive firmware experience can provide an accurate estimate of the time involved, thank you.

There are dozens of features that Tesla could add to the firmware based on owner requests. Each one takes resources to implement. It may interest you to know that Tesla is also devoting significant resources to designing new products such as the Model Y, the next Roadster, the Semi, and other vehicles, while also working to improve their current products. It’s a question of priorities and looking at the big picture, which in this case is ensuring that the company becomes profitable and survives while competing against much larger companies that have been in existence for many decades.

I was under the impression that Tesla wanted to sell to the general public now not just to the group of early adopters that have made up the bulk of their customers to date. If they don’t have what consumers feel are standard features it will impact their sales. It doesn’t matter how you want to rationalize things (these features don’t matter, the car has better stuff in other ways so why would you want this, they are too busy making other cool stuff, etc) but that won’t resonate with the general public.

Things like primitive phone integration and the lack of true blind spot warning will hurt them on the broader market. And success on the broader market is key to survival as a company and more importantly to broadening adoption of EVs. I understand that Tesla’s can do some amazing stuff. They need to be able to do mundane things that the market wants too.

Lecturing to people and saying that they don’t need a feature they want and is standard on many cars or telling them it’s too hard to implement since so much else is going on isn’t a viable strategy for Tesla. Thankfully just the people on these forums do that and so far not Tesla.

Good to know that your automotive firmware experience can provide an accurate estimate of the time involved, thank you.

There are dozens of features that Tesla could add to the firmware based on owner requests. Each one takes resources to implement. It may interest you to know that Tesla is also devoting significant resources to designing new products such as the Model Y, the next Roadster, the Semi, and other vehicles, while also working to improve their current products. It’s a question of priorities and looking at the big picture, which in this case is ensuring that the company becomes profitable and survives while competing against much larger companies that have been in existence for many decades.