Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Storm 12 hours driving, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbors came back to Folsom (east of Sacramento) from Heavenly Ski Resort (South Lake Tahoe) on Tuesday. It took them more than 12 hours because of snow storm. I wonder how would you get home if you were there with a X.

That depends on the availability of chargers.

You can charge fully to 100% at South Lake Tahoe (Stateline, NV) then drive to the next one that's about 61 miles away in Placerville, then Folsom Supercharger 20 miles away.

The concern would be sitting idly while the heater sips the battery away. For a new 2021 Model X rated at 351 miles, the driver can monitor how much battery miles have been lost for each hour and can adjust accordingly to reach the next Supercharger 61 miles away.

Until the chargers are as populated as gas stations are, we still need to decide whether it's a good idea to leave in a snowstorm with lots of road closures and delays.

My neighbors came back to Folsom (east of Sacramento) from Heavenly Ski Resort (South Lake Tahoe) on Tuesday. It took them more than 12 hours because of snow storm. I wonder how would you get home if you were there with a X.
Downhill from Tahoe you can regenerate a ton of power and add a lot of charge to the battery. The car monitors the state of charge, usage, factors in road conditions and change of elevation to come up with range estimates.

There are also Superchargers along I-80 at Folsom, soon Auburn, and Truckee, and I think some other locations around the lake. There may also be slower L2 chargers along the route. I don't go that way so others may have more info route.

Of course, none of this matters without power. But if they don't have power gas stations cannot operate.

Last edited:
That depends on the availability of chargers.

You can charge fully to 100% at South Lake Tahoe (Stateline, NV) then drive to the next one that's about 61 miles away in Placerville, then Folsom Supercharger 20 miles away.

The concern would be sitting idly while the heater sips the battery away. For a new 2021 Model X rated at 351 miles, the driver can monitor how much battery miles have been lost for each hour and can adjust accordingly to reach the next Supercharger 61 miles away.

Until the chargers are as populated as gas stations are, we still need to decide whether it's a good idea to leave in a snowstorm with lots of road closures and delays.
Gas stations like chargers are out if the power is out.

Charge along the way if necessary. There are plenty of options available… more if one has a CHAdeMO adapter.

3C85F139-C1DE-4A4D-9710-D9CAE8459AD6.jpeg

Reactions: juliusa
I once spoke to a person who was stuck in the snow storm driving his Tesla and did not have enough power, he spent the night with slow charging + heat after getting connected to a charger at the Boreal ski resort. Under challenging circumstances, one has to make the best use of what resources are available within your reach whether it is a EV or ICE vehicle.

I was once stuck for 5 hours due to traffic jams from a snow storm in NJ. My commute was only supposed to be about 15 miles, I left with about 75 miles of range in my Model X. Eventually I was so close to running out of power I had to turn off my cabin heat, my windshield wiper was curling from freezing over and my hood had about 3 inches of snow on it so i couldn't really see.

If it had run out of power I was close enough to home to walk it so I wasn't THAT worried but it showed the limitations of an EV in snow traffic.

On my way up to mammoth couple weeks back the wind was really bad that the road was being closed and reopened and there was a MOdel X stuck on the side of the road. I took the Y. I always plan for a 20% buffer unless I'm sure i'll be fine.