Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tread = MYLR all season tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caltrans report roads to Lake Tahoe require the following:

Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

Do the all season tires I have on my wall Model Y LR count as snow-tread tires?

All-Season-vs-Winter-Tires.jpg

Upvote 0

Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

No snow tread is a dedicated winter tire. Something like the Bridgestone blizzak is a dedicated winter tire. Here is an article on the difference. I haven't run winter tires on my vehicles and I'm not recommending Bridgestone over another brand.

Upvote 0
Read the accounts of the Donner party if you think you don't need real winter tires and chains/cables as well for when conditions get bad. AWD is not the same as 4WD with locking hubs, though modern traction control is pretty impressive. I was happy to have chains many times driving up to Tahoe, thought they were well worth the hassle after the first couple of times when it didn't go so well. Practicing putting them on and off someplace warm and dry would have been remarkably sensible, in hindsight.
Of course most people who can afford a Tesla can afford to pay the guys by the side of the road to put them on; not an option back in student days.

Upvote 0
For the purposes of chain controls in California, 100% yes.

That said, the usual reminder: you MUST have chains or other approved traction devices in your possession when entering a chain control area, even if you don’t have to use them.

Also if you’re going anywhere near Lake Tahoe any time in the next week or so, and don’t have experience driving in mountain snow and severe winter weather, you’re really rolling the dice. Be careful, and be prepared. All-season tires with no chains are not going to be safe/adequate for the weather we’re expecting.

Reactions: My2cents
Upvote 0
Remember to use Off-Road assistant - Link to Electrek article I use it myself in Norway in the snow and have never had such excellent grip before, not even my previous Range Rover Sport managed as well. I use dedicated snow tires also, Nokian Hakka R5 studless.
thanks for that. I'm a new Y owner, living in Colorado. I came from a jeep wrangler, which (in 4WD mode) was amazing in the snow. We have snow at the moment, and with all season tires, it felt decidedly less secure in the snow than I was hoping. I went out just now on snow / ice covered roads, and tested the difference with off-road assist on, and off. It felt like it made a big difference. It's also nice that you can toggle it on/off while driving. So nice tip for a newbie like me. cheers

Reactions: My2cents
Upvote 0

Absolutely, your all-season tires on your Tesla Model Y Long Range (LR) should count as snow-tread tires. Generally, all-season tires are designed to handle a variety of road conditions, including light snow. They often have an M+S (mud and snow) rating, which makes them suitable for driving in snowy conditions.

However, it's important to note that even with all-season tires, it's advisable to have a set of Model Y snow chains on hand, especially if you're planning to drive in areas with heavy snowfall or where chain requirements are in place. Snow chains provide an extra layer of safety and traction, ensuring you have optimal control over your vehicle in challenging winter conditions.

Considering your experience with snow chains, you understand the importance of reliable and durable chains. That's where Tesery's Model Y snow chains come into play. Tesery offers high-quality snow chains for Tesla Model Y vehicles. These chains are engineered to provide excellent traction on snow and ice, enhancing your vehicle's performance and your safety during winter driving.

Tesery's Model Y Snow Chains are not just any chains; they are crafted with precision and built to withstand harsh conditions. They are easy to install and remove, making your winter journeys hassle-free. With these chains, you can confidently tackle snowy roads, ensuring a smooth and secure driving experience.

Upvote 0