Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People mention picking up curbs as a some kind of thing that makes vision better, but do you know what’s even better at identifying curbs? Wing mirrors, so it’s not quite the win you think it is.

People say USS are the bees knees when in reality they miss huge objects which could damage your car. They also switch off when you are within 12” of something which often isn’t close enough for tight spaces. The same point about mirrors also applies to parking sensors…

As someone who is still waiting for my Tesla does the nearside mirror let you see the rear wheel and kerb when dipped in reverse?
Yes but I don’ dip them because the camera does a far better job. I’d rather have a better view of the rear of the car to enable more precision parking in tight spaces where sensors basically turn off because you are within 12” of an object.

People say USS are the bees knees when in reality they miss huge objects which could damage your car. They also switch off when you are within 12” of something which often isn’t close enough for tight spaces.
Maybe on their own but in combination with the camera and your mirrors you should be good.

Also an accurate 12 inches is infinitely better than the guesstimates you get from vision.

I guess it's all open to interpretation. Is fluffy dice on the rear view mirror a mod or an accessory?; a phone holder?; a speedo/steering wheel display; a dash-mounted HUD; ... Of course if you ask them, the insurers will take the most restrictive line. I think it's a case of needing to make your own decisions and live with them. But I see your point entirely.
Well they'll make the decision when you come to claim if they find out about a mod you didn't declare. In the case of this thread we were talking about adding stalks back to the Highland that will need to be wired into the computer and securely connected to the steering column. A little different from fluffy dice, air freshener or a mobile phone mount stuck to the window.

Anyway let's not do this and just agree to disagree? I don't think without someone speaking to an insurance company and clarifying their position on this anything we say here is going to change. Also I think S3XY buttons are cool and they have a great chance to sell some stalks here so all the best to them. Just wouldn't do it myself is all.

People mention picking up curbs as a some kind of thing that makes vision better, but do you know what’s even better at identifying curbs? Wing mirrors, so it’s not quite the win you think it is.
You need to see and try it. I suspect you'll still find a way to hate on it but it might suprise you.

It's also something I think will improve over time because it's part of the FSD stack so something Tesla is working on unlike the autopilot we have in this country. Also it might be better on Highland with it's newer HW3.5 or 4.0, whatever they call it vs older HW3.0 cars.

Maybe on their own but in combination with the camera and your mirrors you should be good.

Also an accurate 12 inches is infinitely better than the guesstimates you get from vision.

Again, that’s no different to the vision system. As the other person said, if you haven’t used it, you can’t really comment.

That's good to hear. I watched a recent YT video of a guy in Portugal with a new Highland who managed to kerb both nearside and offside wheels whilst parallel parking so perhaps rushing it whilst trying to video record and commentate.?

Almost certainly, spending cash on a nice car doesn’t mean you know how to or take care driving.

I must be the only model 3 owners who hasn’t managed to curb their wheels in 2 years of ownership. 🤣

Again, that’s no different to the vision system. As the other person said, if you haven’t used it, you can’t really comment.

Almost certainly, spending cash on a nice car doesn’t mean you know how to or take care driving.

I must be the only model 3 owners who hasn’t managed to curb their wheels in 2 years of ownership. 🤣
My 2019 Model 3 was sold in Dec without a mark on any of the alloys ! 😇

Reactions: Roger20
Again, this;
I don’t feel like the vision is all that inaccurate, not had a Tesla with USS but many other cars and they can miss objects like poles depending on where it is in relation to the sensors. Cars with sensors have blind spots as they don’t have enough sensors so if the pole is between two sensors it can be invisible to the car. Vision at least in the new update is picking these up nicely regardless. It wasn’t fine, now I think it’s good enough that don’t miss the sensors.

Infact I’d prefer how it works on holiday update than without. There’s a car park we go to often which is poorly lit at night and really hard to see the white lines for the bays. The Tesla is painting them out nicely on the display even when I can barely make them out with my eyes at night from inside the car. Easier when you get out and eyes adjust more to night.

The front cameras that Vision uses can’t see below the leading edge of the bonnet. When USS was first removed I saw a video that surmised that this blind spot was ~3ft in length. This necessarily means that anything it “sees” below that distance as you‘re driving forwards is simulated.

In my book that’s worse than USS cutting off at 12”. At least you can guarantee that the 12” is accurate.

I would concede that the Holiday Update “High Fidelity Park Assist” (which came out over 12 months after they started removing USS) appears to be miles better than the ribbons (which came out 6 months after they removed USS), though.

I don’ dip them because the camera does a far better job.

I don't dip them because they take too long. As does the backup camera ...

Engage reverse, wait for mirror to dip. Then back up.

Engage forward, pull forward a bit (mirrors have come back up, of course, and backup camera has gone off ... but I maybe had to wait for the mirrors to come back up so I could see my driver-side blind-spot) then engage reverse for a bit more "backing up" ... and wait for mirror to dip / camera to come on.

It doesn't take long, but its long enough.

If I know I'm going to back-and-fill I engage backup camera before I start (or half way through) so it stays on the whole time.

And, as @qwickshot said, use the camera instead of the mirrors.

The front cameras that Vision uses can’t see below the leading edge of the bonnet. When USS was first removed I saw a video that surmised that this blind spot was ~3ft in length. This necessarily means that anything it “sees” below that distance as you‘re driving forwards is simulated.

In my book that’s worse than USS cutting off at 12”. At least you can guarantee that the 12” is accurate.

I would concede that the Holiday Update “High Fidelity Park Assist” (which came out over 12 months after they started removing USS) appears to be miles better than the ribbons (which came out 6 months after they removed USS), though.
We always reverse in as you have cameras then to see regardless of if you have vision or USS. However going forwards it's just using memory of what it says before it entered it's blind spot. Not really any different to how Land Rover can show you what's under the bonnet of the car as you drive off-road.

We always reverse in as you have cameras then to see regardless of if you have vision or USS. However going forwards it's just using memory of what it says before it entered it's blind spot. Not really any different to how Land Rover can show you what's under the bonnet of the car as you drive off-road.

This basically, I always reverse park, literally everywhere. It’s safer, particularly for others (E.g. pedestrians) and easier to get in and out of a space.

You also have the added bonus of sentry mode triggering properly off the front camera.

As for front sensors, they also seem to wrk better than what the bay sayers suggest in the real world.

They are more annoying if anything (USS and non-USS). They bong constantly in crawling traffic and driving around car parks etc.

Again I don’t rely on them to park, MK1 eyeball is a much better judge and is required when parking in tight spaces. Particularly with the poor turning circle on a big car like a tesla. The front of the car is literally the easiest place to judge where the car actually ends.

I agree and I always try to do that but when with the family and I have to get a pram in and out the boot there’s no other choice but to forward park.
I remember once when I had my long wheelbase 7 series that I think was 5.2m in length I went in forwards in a carpark for reasons of wanting to get to the boot. Some large van parked other side in the bay directly opposite me while I was gone. I was sticking out of my bay somewhat, so was he but plenty of room for cars to get past.

However when I reversed out of the bay, I was going to hit him before my front of the car had cleared the cars to my left and right so I couldn't easily turn to get out. Took me an Austin Powers amount of forwards and backwards, turning just slightly to edge closed to one of the cars to my side before I could finally start to turn slightly and just enough to get my rear to not hit the van and my front not to hit a car either side. Long cars can be a pain in this country and frankly if it didn't have rear wheel steering, I don't think I'd have got out and have had to wait for him to return.

So yeah at least in bigger cars or very tight carparks where not much space from one side to the other, I'm a little careful not to go in face forwards even if I need the boot now.