Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3H Long Range is supposed to have 17 speakers now including 2 subs and 2 amps. Range apart I might have gone for the RWD and then gone down the upgrade route. The problem nowadays though is insurance, particularly for EVs. Anything non-standard now that might be considered a modification either bumps the premium considerably or they won't even quote at all. Hence the Hansshow will come at a cost and even SEXY buttons which need wiring into the loom are a considerable risk if not disclosed.

There seem to be so few companies now offering realisic insurance cover for Teslas with many stupid quotes showing they are just not interested in EV insurance. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

The M3H Long Range is supposed to have 17 speakers now including 2 subs and 2 amps. Range apart I might have gone for the RWD and then gone down the upgrade route. The problem nowadays though is insurance, particularly for EVs. Anything non-standard now that might be considered a modification either bumps the premium considerably or they won't even quote at all. Hence the Hansshow will come at a cost and even SEXY buttons which need wiring into the loom are a considerable risk if not disclosed.

There seem to be so few companies now offering realisic insurance cover for Teslas with many stupid quotes showing they are just not interested in EV insurance. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.
I know we've had this discussion before, but I just don't agree that things like S3XY buttons/knob/stalks (potentially) are notifiable mods that insurance companies need to know about. They are really not much more than an OBD dongle or an alternative headunit. Modifications they are interested in are power upgrades, suspension tuning, bodywork mods etc. These have demonstrably higher risk profiles - both in themselves and as risk markers for certain types of behaviours (wrapping your car in purple and dropping the suspension by 4 inches says something about how you might drive).

Is this a USS on the UK Telsa 3 page?

IMG_41C26A341ACF-1.jpeg

Wouldn’t be quick enough for mid roundabout.

They’re more likely to say “indicating will be automatic when using nav”, and so it should be when FSD is working, there’s just one small flaw in the argument at the moment.
Well you don't need FSD for that to work in theory. It wouldn't be good for my wife though as she often likes to go off a different exit than the nav is suggesting so probably still safer to leave that one to the humans to decide at the moment ;)

I know we've had this discussion before, but I just don't agree that things like S3XY buttons/knob/stalks (potentially) are notifiable mods that insurance companies need to know about. They are really not much more than an OBD dongle or an alternative headunit. Modifications they are interested in are power upgrades, suspension tuning, bodywork mods etc. These have demonstrably higher risk profiles - both in themselves and as risk markers for certain types of behaviours (wrapping your car in purple and dropping the suspension by 4 inches says something about how you might drive).
We have had that discussion, not sure if it was with you but I provided a link last time from an insurance company that said otherwise and you would need to let them know. However let's just say it's your choice and your risk on this one. You could check and be 100% sure or you can continue to go with your opinion without validation 100%. I mean I kind of think some of the things they want to know about are stupid but rules are rules and a modification is a modification.

Oh bugger. Thanks anyway.
I’ve got a car without USS, generally it’s fine and very close to USS most of the time and far better at identifying curbs.

If you believed everything you read on here at face value, you’d think they were utter turds, that’s just not the reality.

I had to actually point to my other half that the parking sensors has been deleted because she didn’t notice any difference between our new Y and our 71 plate 3.

She’d have said if it was ****, she’s got no time for technology that doesn’t work properly. Trust me, she makes sure I know every time AP has a minor wobble.

I get that the the period where nothing was available and the initial release wasn’t great but in my view, Tesla did actually deliver a decent experience after a couple of updates.

Controversial opinion and happy to be flamed below….

I’ve got a car without USS, generally it’s fine and very close to USS most of the time and far better at identifying curbs.

If you believed everything you read on here at face value, you’d think they were utter turds, that’s just not the reality.

I had to actually point to my other half that the parking sensors has been deleted because she didn’t notice any difference between our new Y and our 71 plate 3.

She’d have said if it was ****, she’s got no time for technology that doesn’t work properly. Trust me, she makes sure I know every time AP has a minor wobble.

I get that the the period where nothing was available and the initial release wasn’t great but in my view, Tesla did actually deliver a decent experience after a couple of updates.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Appreciate your comments.

I’ll join you on this. Was bad when they were selling cars with nothing at all, they should have waited until software was ready before dropping the USS.

The initial release wasn’t great but acceptable I think. As you say it picks up things like curbs even on the side of the car that USS don’t. The measurements were way off though.

The holiday update version, I really like that actually and it’s much better. They also learnt their lesson and removed measurements but they don’t need it with the way this works. Is it perfect, no but actually I think it’s very good.

We have had that discussion, not sure if it was with you but I provided a link last time from an insurance company that said otherwise and you would need to let them know. However let's just say it's your choice and your risk on this one. You could check and be 100% sure or you can continue to go with your opinion without validation 100%. I mean I kind of think some of the things they want to know about are stupid but rules are rules and a modification is a modification.
I guess it's all open to interpretation. Is fluffy dice on the rear view mirror a mod or an accessory?; a phone holder?; a speedo/steering wheel display; a dash-mounted HUD; ... Of course if you ask them, the insurers will take the most restrictive line. I think it's a case of needing to make your own decisions and live with them. But I see your point entirely.

Reactions: KennethS