Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really, they pop back and click off once the steering wheel turns enough as you exit a roundabout. I’m pretty sure they could pull it off if they wanted, they just don’t want to.
The issue is with the stalk latching into position and mechanically canceling after finishing the turn. This can lead to situations where the stalk position and the actual turn signal lights are in inconsistent states if you are also using automation for the turn signals. The Tesla turn signal controls (stalk or touch buttons) are just momentary signal sources, so automation can always change the blinkers and not have the controls in a contradictory state. Yes, it's annoying and a worse user experience, but it is necessary if you are committed to automation above all else like Elon is.

I am just speaking here about Model 3/Y and the newer S/X. I have no experience with the older S/X with the Mercedes stalks.

I have a 3P with white interior and despite my initial concerns it had been pretty much perfect over the last 4 years. Easy to wipe down.

Looking at the highland, is the centre of the seat fabric or just a grey dotted faux leather? White fabric could prove problematic.

jokes aside. After 4 years of Tesla ownership I still fail to indicate leaving a roundabout when turning right about a third of the time simply because doing so requires me to pull the stalk twice to go from right indication to left indication. Unlike every other car I have owned where it only requires once.

Eh? Do they work differently in UK? On mine, to change the indicators from one way to the other it's a single operation, but you have to go past the initial half-way detent and all the way to the stop. I.e. half push cancels, full push reverses. Of course two half pushes would also do the job of cancelling then indicating the other way, but why would you do it like that?! :)

Eh? Do they work differently in UK? On mine, to change the indicators from one way to the other it's a single operation, but you have to go past the initial half-way detent and all the way to the stop. I.e. half push cancels, full push reverses. Of course two half pushes would also do the job of cancelling then indicating the other way, but why would you do it like that?! :)
On both i have owned pushing down while signalling right just cancels it does not signal left. Of course your wheel is on the left and leaving a roundabout would be going from left to right by pushing up but i don't see why it would be different?

My M3 loaner was infuriating at roundabouts. There are many threads on this going back years plus this video:

I mean, is this not nuts? What it means is that, not only do you need to consult the Tesla manual to figure out what in the name of Bartholomew H. Tapdancing Christmas you are supposed to be pushing or pulling or prodding to perform some unbelievably simple task that has been self-evident in every other vehicle for almost a century, you then have to witness it fail to work or work consistently the way the Tesla manual outlines because some undisclosed cost cutting drive by the Chief Fruitcake demanded common sense be hurled out the window as well.

The rotating buttons make it worse and they're going to drive people crazy.

As said previously people will just stop indicating.

Realistically, regardless of the Highway Code, indicating is treated as just a courtesy to others, particularly on roundabouts.

Faced with the choice between having to buy a “lesser” car, or simply a different car to the one they want, people will instead buy a Highland M3 and choose not to use the indicators in any situation where it’s not convenient to do so.

People are not going to deny themselves the car over something that only impacts them if they actually give a crap about roadcraft or consideration for others.

Sorry @Durzel I disagree.

You are right, some people will not care about the lack of indicator stalks and buy the car because they really want it.

However, another group of people who are maybe on the fence about getting the car could well be pushed into not getting it when they go for a test drive and try to go right at a roundabout. Quite what else they go for I’m not sure. If anything this could push even more people toward the MY (although I reckon Q2 2024 deliveries will be the light refresh and probably without indicator stalks too)

I guess we’ll have to tune back in some time in 2024 to see what the sales are doing and which of the 2 groups above are larger.

Sorry @Durzel I disagree.

You are right, some people will not care about the lack of indicator stalks and buy the car because they really want it.

However, another group of people who are maybe on the fence about getting the car could well be pushed into not getting it when they go for a test drive and try to go right at a roundabout. Quite what else they go for I’m not sure. If anything this could push even more people toward the MY (although I reckon Q2 2024 deliveries will be the light refresh and probably without indicator stalks too)

I guess we’ll have to tune back in some time in 2024 to see what the sales are doing and which of the 2 groups above are larger.
I think Tesla might start to regret having one of their stores / test drive locations as Milton Keynes 🤣

I think Tesla might start to regret having one of their stores / test drive locations as Milton Keynes

I drive in Milton Keynes quite a bit, quite a few of the roundabouts are lane controlled, you indicate and get in the correct lane on approach and then follow lane around, no need to indicate to leave as you are within a lane, works really well and traffic flows great,
all indicating would do is confuse the car in lane next to you, my daughter referred to them as spiral roundabouts and that is how her instructor taught her to use them as well

When appropriate I do always indicate to leave a roundabout and that won’t change, we are more adaptable than a lot of people think, new stuff becomes second nature pretty fast, but most of the MK roundabouts are so large even if a car is not indicating before previous junction you have plenty of time to join

Whilst it is a annoyance when cars don’t indicate properly (and driving around it seems 90% of cars don’t bother anymore) there is far more dangerous behaviour on the roads than that

Yes I think it would be more of an issue on smaller, tighter roundabouts, say where the wheel is already turned up past 12oclock when you have to put the left hand indicator on.

The more I think about it the less I think it would be a major problem, but I admittedly I am trying to justify purchasing one, so could be trying to gloss over things in my head.

Is there a steering wheel button to wipe the windscreen once?
The new steering wheel has a separate button.

1698147202292.jpeg

Reactions: bkp_duke