Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a few things that annoy me when I'm driving and hopefully there's a special place in hell reserved for them ;) One of those is drivers that slow the flow of traffic on a roundabout by either not indicating or leaving the roundabout while still indicating right to stay on it. You aren't quite sure what they have to do so you wait and potentially miss getting out if it's busy.

It's not just BMW drivers, it's just lazy and bad drivers that don't indicate. They are normally the same people that don't know what braking distance is and are trying to kiss your car's rear.

If you cannot get to grips with indicating in your Highland are you going to return your car and admit it doesn't work for you or just become another bad driver on the roads?
Interested to know just how you would position and indicate in the example I quoted above.

very existential question for a simple issue. My solution - take a deep breath and tell yourself your life is more important than worrying about people not indicating 😜
So basically you are saying if Tesla have made it so you cannot properly indicate anymore you just won't indicate? No doubt still come here telling us that it's not problem and Tesla nailed it with this change, missing out the fact you just aren't using them anymore.

Interested to know just how you would position and indicate in the example I quoted above.
Might have missed that but was that aimed at me? Ultimately there's roads in this country that people struggle to workout what to do, especially if they aren't locals. End up in the wrong lanes, cut lanes in the roundabout without even realising they did it or were in the wrong, etc. That's still going to happen but sometimes indicators tell you someone is about to do something stupid like they are in the left lane of a roundabout but are going to go right. At least if you know that, you can give them space and avoid an accident vs not indicating and having no idea what they plan to do.

Just the other day some guy pulled up in the right lane on some traffic lights on a larger roundabout and I was exiting on the left. I had a feeling he planned to try to cut me up and turn left. He shot off when the lights changed and I matched his speed easily in the Model 3 Performance keeping aside him and forced him to miss the exit he wanted to cut me up into. He then had to do the full loop of shame around the roundabout. If he had indicated I might have decided to let him in vs showing him that he's not going to get infront a M3P ;)

Last edited:
was that aimed at me?
Yes because I would genuinely like to know how you would tackle positioning your car and indicate in that scenario.

I have said keep in the left lane all the way round but the other option, which would require indicating right is to enter on the right and hug the inner lane all the way round until finally indicating left and then crossing left to exit left. But that in my mind does leave the potential for an accident because a car might have entered the roundabout from the penultimate exit and seen you still indicating right. At that point you need to change lanes to the left when that car could well be in your blind spot.

Hence my interest in the dilemma - indicate or not.

Model 3 Performance keeping aside him and forced him to miss the exit he wanted to cut me up into.
Hmmm… that was not something to shout about. People make mistakes knowingly and unknowingly and accidents do happen even if you are 💯 right - but I expect a bit of latitude generally in life when we don’t know why people do what they do. Anyhow, it is not my problem. But I don’t do either - cut someone or block someone from taking an exit.

Yes because I would genuinely like to know how you would tackle positioning your car and indicate in that scenario.

I have said keep in the left lane all the way round but the other option, which would require indicating right is to enter on the right and hug the inner lane all the way round until finally indicating left and then crossing left to exit left. But that in my mind does leave the potential for an accident because a car might have entered the roundabout from the penultimate exit and seen you still indicating right. At that point you need to change lanes to the left when that car could well be in your blind spot.

Hence my interest in the dilemma - indicate or not.

OK well garycat posted it and I never talked about it but happy to answer.

Imagine you are an American flying into Heathrow and picking up a Tesla Rental car. The steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, everyone drives on the "wrong" side of the road and then you have to make your way from Eastchurch Rd to Faggs Rd. Would you be able to indicate effectively to the other road users with wheel mounted buttons?

View attachment 1005813
If you come in Southern Perimeter Road as you mentioned and want to exit at Faggs Road then you don't actually need to go all the way around this staying on the left though you could of course.

What these roundabouts in a roundabout allow is for you to go around the other way. So you indicate right as you come up Southern Perimeter Road and then indicate left before you mean to exit on the second exit. Now you indicate right again and then left as you exit onto Faggs Rd. Job done and saved you going all the way around. Each left indication your steering wheel is going to be reasonably turned as they are small mini roundabouts and you won't be on them for long so you won't have long to hunt and find the indicator before it'll be too late and missed the right moment to indicate or you've crashed because you spent too long looking at the wheel and not where you where going.

You can see in the video posted just earlier of initial impressions having to pick up a Highland that he's looking at the wheel and not where he's going sometimes. You don't need to look down for indicator stalks. The proof will be in if you can mentally workout where a tiny button is on a moving wheel at all times without having to look down for it after a period of time owning the car. If buyers of the highland cannot then it's worse than indicators which I think everyone can operate without having to look down at them.

I always find it interesting that texting on your phone is illegal while driving but when car makers put in changes to take our eyes off the road more that's fine.

Last edited:
OK well garycat posted it and I never talked about it but happy to answer.

If you come in Southern Perimeter Road as you mentioned and want to exit at Faggs Road then you don't actually need to go all the way around this staying on the left though you could of course.

What these roundabouts in a roundabout allow is for you to go around the other way. So you indicate right as you come up Southern Perimeter Road and then indicate left before you mean to exit on the second exit. Now you indicate right again and then left as you exit onto Faggs Rd. Job done and saved you going all the way around. Each left indication your steering wheel is going to be reasonably turned as they are small mini roundabouts and you won't be on them for long so you won't have long to hunt and find the indicator before it'll be too late and missed the right moment to indicate or you've crashed because you spent too long not looking where you where going.
You're quite right - I didn't look closely enough at the photo to realise that it was a roundabout in a roundabout. Been driving over 50 years and have never come across this anywhere before so I might have been as confused as an American.

However, let's assume it was a normal two lane roundabout, could you suggest how you would tackle positioning and indication.

You're quite right - I didn't look closely enough at the photo to realise that it was a roundabout in a roundabout. Been driving over 50 years and have never come across this anywhere before so I might have been as confused as an American.

However, let's assume it was a normal two lane roundabout, could you suggest how you would tackle positioning and indication.
There’s not many of these in the UK so probably plenty of people here might never have had to tackle one or only a couple of times in their life.

So same but a normal roundabout you’d be on the right most lane indicating to go all the way around, probably just after the exit before the one you want you’ll indicate left and move from right to left lane (Assuming it’s 2 wide). Then exit. At this scale it would probably have multiple lanes on the roundabout and you then tend to start on the right and as you go around the lane markings will have you moving slowly from right to middle to left lanes as you get closer to your exit.

Obviously for people not from the UK it can seem confusing but you’d soon get used to it. As long as the lines are clearly visible and not a faded mess then you’d be fine.

At this scale it would probably have multiple lanes on the roundabout and you then tend to start on the right and as you go around the lane markings will have you moving slowly from right to middle to left lanes as you get closer to your exit.
That's fair enough if it was multiple lane on exit although as you cross from right to left to exit you are going to be changing lane twice so signalling is vital and you still have the risk of someone to your left not seeing your signalling if alongside or just behind to your left. I don't see these big multi-lane roundabouts to be the same issue as smaller ones, whether buttons or stalks because with overhead signage you are usually funnelled into the right exit lane anyway.

My example above though, with only two lanes though does highlight the danger of having to cross from right to left on exit - hence my suggestion that keeping to the left and not signalling at all could be safer.

A lot of this comes down to awareness and anticipation. Stalkless is just wrong in those situations where the wheel is going to be at 180° or similar. However not indicating in these situations doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be dangerous if the driver is aware of other vehicles around him and doesn't make stupid changes which surrounding drivers can't avoid. The onus is on other drivers to not make assumptions though.

Even with stalks, sometimes direction changes have to happen quickly and the last second signal is of no use to vehicles nearby. Roundabouts at speed always have the potential for drama, even with the most experienced drivers.

That's fair enough if it was multiple lane on exit although as you cross from right to left to exit you are going to be changing lane twice so signalling is vital and you still have the risk of someone to your left not seeing your signalling if alongside or just behind to your left. I don't see these big multi-lane roundabouts to be the same issue as smaller ones, whether buttons or stalks because with overhead signage you are usually funnelled into the right exit lane anyway.

My example above though, with only two lanes though does highlight the danger of having to cross from right to left on exit - hence my suggestion that keeping to the left and not signalling at all could be safer.

A lot of this comes down to awareness and anticipation. Stalkless is just wrong in those situations where the wheel is going to be at 180° or similar. However not indicating in these situations doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be dangerous if the driver is aware of other vehicles around him and doesn't make stupid changes which surrounding drivers can't avoid. The onus is on other drivers to not make assumptions though.

Even with stalks, sometimes direction changes have to happen quickly and the last second signal is of no use to vehicles nearby. Roundabouts at speed always have the potential for drama, even with the most experienced drivers.
If doing it properly there’s the highway code to say what we are supposed to do. I think though large roundabouts won’t be too bad as you can do without taking hands off wheel so could keep your fingers near the indicators. It’s the smaller ones where you have to turn much more and reposition your hands that will be the problem. Once you do that you’ve lost where the buttons are and will probably have to look down at the wheel to relocate them while in the middle of a manoeuvre. I suspect even the people that text and drive don’t do it while going around a roundabout.

Is there any word on when the Performance version will reach the UK?
No, no official word on this model yet at all. The rumours though suggest it's dead but will be reborn as a Model 3 Ludicrous instead.

My guess is it's a USA launch car first as rumours say it'll be using Plaid motors which they make in the US. I'm guessing they want to be able to make carbon wrapped motors in China but it's not ready yet so hence they had to delay it. Complete guess of course on my part.

No, no official word on this model yet at all. The rumours though suggest it's dead but will be reborn as a Model 3 Ludicrous instead.

My guess is it's a USA launch car first as rumours say it'll be using Plaid motors which they make in the US. I'm guessing they want to be able to make carbon wrapped motors in China but it's not ready yet so hence they had to delay it. Complete guess of course on my part.
Thank you. I'll need to replace my M3P in August or September so fingers crossed - however it does seem highly unlikely anything will be available at that point.

That’s a more honest answer. I know people like to defend their purchases but I don’t think anyone should have anything against anyone who buys a Highland. I’d personally love to hear your feedback, more so if I know your not going to defend it even secretly you don’t like it.

Good luck with the car. Reviews do suggest it’s a great vehicle and this is potentially it’s one and only downside.
Thanks! Once I've collected the car I have a good 2 hours to get it home, so should hopefully have a feel for the stalkless by the time I get home.

For me the indicators were a trade off - there were many positive factors that made me choose the M3H over other choices, and the indicators were a "it might be ok, I'm dubious but hopeful", and if they don't work I will configure 2 S3XY buttons to do their jobs so I have a static, but low profile solution.

A lot of people on here are touting about the issues, but for most issues in this world a solution can be found...

• Air vents that can properly direct the flow to my face ('occasional' frustration)
I just had (and got rid of) a Golf 8 GTD and it was worse than the Tesla. The vents were lower and the highest you could aim them was at your chest.

I would be curious to see how FSD handles the famous Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England.
Same as most drivers I guess, make it up as you go along 🙃

I’d be surprised if the replacement M3P isn’t available by end of Q2.
I'd agree, there are M3H with camouflage being spotted in the US currently, and standard M3H with Shanghai badges which do no have this, which would imply it is a yet to be released variant - likely the M3HP.

Last edited:
For me the indicators were a trade off - there were any positive factors that made me choose the M3H over other choices, and the indicators were a "it might be ok, I'm dubious but hopeful"
That was exactly my thinking. I'm hoping that on the very few occasions when the buttons arent working in a roundabout situation it will just be a small failing in the bigger ownership picture, and in the same context as phantom braking and windscreen wiping.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
That was exactly my thinking. I'm hoping that on the very few occasions when the buttons arent working in a roundabout situation it will just be a small failing in the bigger ownership picture, and in the same context as phantom braking and windscreen wiping.
Again a good and honest answer. Is it better than stalks? That seems highly unlikely, can you work and live with it? Probably at least for people on this forum.

I think it's more what regular folks who just want a bog standard car to get them from A to B will think of it. Rumours suggest the Model Y refresh has been brought forward which I think is risky as at least if it doesn't work out on Model 3 they could delay and add stalks back to Model Y. Seems like they are doing the Tesla thing and going all in with their cards in the poker match with the public ;)

Reactions: Durzel