Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you push the boundaries, challenge convention, or ride roughshod over the old dogma, you don't get innovation. Some will be more successful, will allow investment or will make a product more accessible to a wider by keeping costs down, others won't, but unless you try you will never know. I like the Tesla ethos - challenge convention.
At everyone else’s expense except Tesla. Tesla don’t take the risk, purchasers do, knowingly or not.

When things don’t go according to plan, it’s the purchasers that take the hit.

Fail fast mentality only morally works when the risk is with the company. Not that it’s really fail fast, many high profile examples of fail very slow, or even just bury head in sand for even longer. Tesla should be taking a learn fast approach, or take the risk if wanting to continue to fail fast.

Reactions: Durzel
I think I bought the last one, but it's on its way back to Tessories now. It's slightly too high so distorts the dash line a bit making it into a gentle little upward curve. You can also see the sides and the cable during daylight. Not a great experience. So, I just bought (and have now fitted) one of these:

View attachment 1006589

Easy to fit and does what's needed. I bought it from AliExpress. £65 shipped from China. Arrived in just over a week.
Can you provide the link to it? Cheers

A bit presumptuous? Do you realise it's quite possible they've looked at the thread with an interest in seeing what alternatives are out there and decided they aren't tempted by any of them? Good for you if you are, but not everyone will be.
Yes, I am someone who is perfectly happy with my current car but always keeping an eye on alternatives. However, the few areas where I currently compromise or adapt cannot outweigh all that I value as useful. Nevertheless I may jump ship if I eventually find something that meets most of the following criteria which account for much of that satisfaction:

Simplicity:
  • Order online, no dealer salesmen involved
  • Cloud based driver profile can be used with any Tesla
  • Constant over the air updates, no dealer involvement required
  • One screen, few buttons, no switches
  • Extremely customisable settings ability to set for warnings only without the car taking action
  • Walk up to or away from the car, it unlocks/locks
  • Card, no bulky key (I have always used a Tesla ring without needing the card)
  • Easy Entry seating option
  • Protect against theft with a PIN
  • With a single action be able to drive the car (without a 'start' button)
  • Instant throttle response (our Fiat 500e has a slight time lag)
  • The drivers seat and steering wheel automatically adjust temperature
  • One pedal driving
  • 'Hold' feature
  • Wing mirrors that can automatically dip when reversing
  • Public charging - drive up, plug in & charge with full recognition of 'my' car and immediately bill correctly
  • Voice control that (in 'our') case works almost every time these days
  • One large, very responsive screen
  • A very good sound system
  • No requirement for service plans or spurious dealer involvement
  • When I do take my car to a Service Centre, it is contactless. The site recognises my car, books me in automatically and both times work has started exactly as scheduled
  • A useful App (without monthly subscription)
  • Teslas offer good value when compared to the options list with other marques
Efficiency and charging:
  • Aerodynamic shape (but 'less' attractive aesthetics)
  • A reliable Supercharger network will need to fully open to every alternative brand for me to consider change
  • Drive up, plug in & charge with full recognition of 'my' car and immediately bill correctly (not just for a Tesla)
  • Few other vehicles can achieve the same or better kWh, kW/mi
  • A negative for efficiency is outstanding acceleration and overtaking ability...very useful nevertheless
Tesla deficiencies that I accept are already available elsewhere:
  • Reliable wipers in all circumstances ('mostly' OK now)
  • Proper Matrix headlights (not a big issue for me)
  • Air vents that can properly direct the flow to my face ('occasional' frustration)
  • Complete parity with hardware based sensors (Vision parking is becoming quite useful now)
  • Alloys that sit within the tyre shoulders
  • Apple Carplay
  • Ability to set both charge and completion times simultaneously (but Zappi/ IOG do that anyway)
  • Poor rear visibility (Model Y)
I don't mention indicator stalks because I have no experience of the alternative, have little interest in anything more than basic Autopilot, no interest in a car full of buttons, a HUD or even another display (& I've probably forgotten/omitted a few other things in the lists above as well)

My wife is far more objective than me, has no interest in forums, controversy theories or even the behaviour of Tesla/Elon Musk yet she remains 100% happy with both Teslas we've owned. Her sister, likewise after spending four years as a passenger on numerous long distance trips (with Autopilot) has nothing but praise and keeps pressuring her 'Petrolhead' partner to buy a Tesla.

I was completely happy with the car as I purchased my first Tesla and if I'm honest (apart from 'Corporate Tesla/Musk') I'm still at least 90% satisfied now. That won't stop me reading the 'Tesla Alternatives' thread with interest or one day finding something else.

However at the moment that remains a tall order.

Last edited:
So, I like coming up with quirky solutions to things... I'll start by saying that. I'm no inventor and do not consider how these ideas would be implemented. With that said, most complaints are that the buttons are not in the same place, so a solution to stalkless and keeping the buttons for indicators could be that the outside of the wheel moves but the stems are on bearing so that that are always in a static location.

I know with a current steering configuration that wouldn't work, but I bet with some kind of mad inventor you could make it happen... A lot of effort though when the original design wasn't broken.

I've said historically, I'm middle of the road with the change and a lot of what I have said is to play Devil's Advocate (and keep myself sane). Would I rather it still had stalks, sure. Would it stop me having a M3H, no.. hence having one on order. One thing I would say, is that every car I've owned (out of the 25 so far) has had something I wish I could change.
That’s a more honest answer. I know people like to defend their purchases but I don’t think anyone should have anything against anyone who buys a Highland. I’d personally love to hear your feedback, more so if I know your not going to defend it even secretly you don’t like it.

Good luck with the car. Reviews do suggest it’s a great vehicle and this is potentially it’s one and only downside.

• Love
Reactions: Oxid8ter
No I was saying a lot of the complaints are noise, but not necessarily all of them. As for Tesla owners being ok with quirky, look at the complaints about M3/Y speedometer not being in front of the driver! :)
I can work with that but it’s the ideal car for a HUD and it’s not at this point expensive tech. They don’t do it I’m sure because regardless of how cheap it’s become, it’s still extra expense on the car and people buy them without it so why bother.

But your eyes are off the road for a traditional speedo anyway, if you don't have a HUD.
Every car I’ve had for about 15+ years has had a HUD. My wife’s car had a HUD before she got a M3P. It is definitely significantly better and easier to see your speed, next turn, speed limits and so on having it all presented in front of you.

This tech is getting pretty cheap these days and is filtering down to cheaper cars. I believe the BYD Seal has an infotainment screen, drivers display and a HUD. I think Tesla could skip the drivers display but they should add a HUD.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
it’s still extra expense on the car and people buy them without it so why bother
That’s the point. For us the car as it is - is great - without any frills and buttons and so on which the German automakers do. And that is the reason why we buy Tesla not the German marquees. And if someone wants all the frills, bells and whistles (that includes HUD and stalks and sensors) please help yourself by getting a car that has one. That’s what choice in life is about.

If Tesla comes with HUD and all the German bells and whistles with a sticker price of starting from £46990 for a RWD model 3 many of the Tesla owners will think twice before making their choice. And it is not about how much HUD cost? The price will go up when you have those little options. And I am damn sure lots of forum members wouldn’t mind buying that as it has got what they want - but that number account to less than 1%. Is Tesla going to address a less than 1% people’s concern or sell to the majority of the market who can afford a good car but reengineered differently where some adjustment is needed? I think they’ve found the best recipe to sell their cars and I hope they stick to that.

Imagine you are an American flying into Heathrow and picking up a Tesla Rental car. The steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, everyone drives on the "wrong" side of the road and then you have to make your way from Eastchurch Rd to Faggs Rd. Would you be able to indicate effectively to the other road users with wheel mounted buttons?

View attachment 1005813
Interesting. I have a Highland on order due late January so obviously interested in this discussion.

Looking at this photo and imagining I am entering from the SW (Perimeter Road) and leaving on the SE exit t(Faggs Road) so all the way round. As I see it I have two choices, keeping in the left hand side of the roundabout all the way round.

Firstly, indicate right all the way round but change to left after the penultimate exit - but why indicate right and who is benefiting from seeing this turn signal?

Secondly, again keeping in the left lane of the roundabout all the way round but not indicating at all. Every driver waiting on each exit to see what I'm doing has to assume, in the absence of a left signal that I am carrying on around the roundabout.

Yes, a right indicator would confirm that assumption but in this scenario, is lack of any indication at each of the exit points any more dangerous than indicating right (and perhaps forgetting to change to left at the final exit)?

Interesting. I have a Highland on order due late January so obviously interested in this discussion.

Looking at this photo and imagining I am entering from the SW (Perimeter Road) and leaving on the SE exit t(Faggs Road) so all the way round. As I see it I have two choices, keeping in the left hand side of the roundabout all the way round.

Firstly, indicate right all the way round but change to left after the penultimate exit - but why indicate right and who is benefiting from seeing this turn signal?

Secondly, again keeping in the left lane of the roundabout all the way round but not indicating at all. Every driver waiting on each exit to see what I'm doing has to assume, in the absence of a left signal that I am carrying on around the roundabout.

Yes, a right indicator would confirm that assumption but in this scenario, is lack of any indication at each of the exit points any more dangerous than indicating right (and perhaps forgetting to change to left at the final exit)?
First you are not from America. And second, on any day of the week twice on Sunday you are going to be better than the BMW next to you. So just align yourself next to that BMW everything is sorted.

First you are not from America. And second, on any day of the week twice on Sunday you are going to be better than the BMW next to you. So just align yourself next to that BMW everything is sorted.
There's a few things that annoy me when I'm driving and hopefully there's a special place in hell reserved for them ;) One of those is drivers that slow the flow of traffic on a roundabout by either not indicating or leaving the roundabout while still indicating right to stay on it. You aren't quite sure what they have to do so you wait and potentially miss getting out if it's busy.

It's not just BMW drivers, it's just lazy and bad drivers that don't indicate. They are normally the same people that don't know what braking distance is and are trying to kiss your car's rear.

If you cannot get to grips with indicating in your Highland are you going to return your car and admit it doesn't work for you or just become another bad driver on the roads?

Reactions: ACarneiro