Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current stalk is certainly wonderful for rapidly switching between D and R whilst still moving ... makes a multipoint turn a breeze. I'm thinking that using the screen is likely to require stopping between each move and also double checking that the swipe has been successfully registered as putting the car into the intended gear. hmm
I think I've seen that the 'stalkless' setup anticipates what you will be doing next in a manoeuvre and chooses the gear (d/r) accordingly? If that is the case, I would hope that as soon as you stop reversing it will switch to forwards using witchcraft? Obviously, you will still need to check but the reversing camera going off should give that away.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the side by side autotests do, 'stalked v stalkless'?

I think I've seen that the 'stalkless' setup anticipates what you will be doing next in a manoeuvre and chooses the gear (d/r) accordingly? If that is the case, I would hope that as soon as you stop reversing it will switch to forwards using witchcraft? Obviously, you will still need to check but the reversing camera going off should give that away.
This is something I'm definitely going to deactivate the second I step inside the vehicle. No way I'm letting AI decide what gear to put the car in - it doesn't know whether I'm trying to adjust my position by going forward, or inch closer backwards if I'm parking. Recipe for disaster.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
This is something I'm definitely going to deactivate the second I step inside the vehicle. No way I'm letting AI decide what gear to put the car in - it doesn't know whether I'm trying to adjust my position by going forward, or inch closer backwards if I'm parking. Recipe for disaster.
From what I understand it only does it on the initial entry to the car, and it has to be obvious e.g there is a car/wall behind you but not in front of you.

From what I understand it only does it on the initial entry to the car, and it has to be obvious e.g there is a car/wall behind you but not in front of you.
If it's only on entry then I don't see much value in it anyway. Saves me one swipe.

I'll give the slider a try because I want to believe Tesla tried it out with focus groups, but worst case enhauto will have one more customer.

Even with a wall in front of you it can still select drive instead of reverse. Admittedly I think this option is still in beta, but it does seem very risky. I think the lack of a front bumper camera (pictured on the initial press release photos) doesn't help... See 8m 18s in this video...

Do you realise that SEXY (enhauto.com) are developing levers?
I think they will sell heaps of them.
Yes it will be an additional cost but if Tesla had added £500 to the price of a Highland Model 3 and kept levers, would anyone have noticed?

There's no way it costs £500 on the BOM to have stalks. And they managed to include them previously. Even Dacia can find the money to put stalks in their budget cars.

Most certainly not but adding something to the BOM itself incurs costs besides inventory and we are not talking small amounts here for sure :)
I think we are talking about very small amounts actually. I also don’t think Tesla did it to save cost, I think Tesla did it because they are Tesla. Just like they didn’t invent the Yoke to save on the costs of the missing part of the wheel.

If you look at highland, there’s lots there that could have increased cost and not reduced it. Rear screen, ambient lighting, better suspension, more sound proofing and so on. The steering wheel change I think has nothing to do with cost, just Tesla / Elon thinking they can invent a better way of doing this.

I think we are talking about very small amounts actually. I also don’t think Tesla did it to save cost, I think Tesla did it because they are Tesla. Just like they didn’t invent the Yoke to save on the costs of the missing part of the wheel.

If you look at highland, there’s lots there that could have increased cost and not reduced it. Rear screen, ambient lighting, better suspension, more sound proofing and so on. The steering wheel change I think has nothing to do with cost, just Tesla / Elon thinking they can invent a better way of doing this.
One could make an argument that if they removed the Autopilot features from the right stalk, to relocate them to the wheel, the car would look seriously janky with a single left stalk, so removing one effectively necessitates removing the other.

My answer to that is simply - don't bother removing either stalk. 🤷‍♂️

One could make an argument that if they removed the Autopilot features from the right stalk, to relocate them to the wheel, the car would look seriously janky with a single left stalk, so removing one effectively necessitates removing the other.
But the autopilot stalk is also the gear selector so moving that specific functionality wouldn't have needed the stalk to be removed...