Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mlL32a.gif

To make it more interesting for the others:

@Zilla91 was over the moon when the Q4 results came and said I was rattled about the Tesla’s plummeting sales a comment by @doats1 . The cover up isn’t the case. For me to win, @Zilla91 has to tell the forum he was over the moon after seeing Tesla’s Q4 sales figures.

And I have to get him say it, I think he wants to say it. I think he's pissed off the Q1 sales is better than BYD. I need to shake him and put him on the defensive.

That’s the plan.

inspired by ‘A few good men’

Reactions: boombap
I knew it wouldn’t be long before the usual suspects came out to try and put a positive spin on these dreadful results. I wasted twenty minutes reading many commentators, and even those who are described as “Tesla bulls” describe Q1 as an unmitigated disaster. A lot of commentators think it’s worse than that. The problem isn’t so much that production is down - there can be many reasons for that - but rather that they can’t sell all the cars they manufacture.

I’m certainly not predicting the end of Tesla, but it will become increasingly clear that it is no longer the world premier when it comes to EV production and sales.

I dont want to suggest this isn't a huge issue. Especially when Musk's approach seems to be constantly building new factories and more supply on the assumption that demand will follow. At least with all the efficiency of scale and good pricing. At the moment this seems to not be the case and there is a limit to demand.

I will defend them in the sense that all EV's are much harder to shift at the moment. Just look at all the offers you can get on most brands at the moment, they all seem to be struggling. I don't expect this to last but for now it's an issue.

Did they break out Model 3 sales before and after Highland?

These views are just a short term snapshot. We are in a high interest world which Musk rightly predicted would impact sales. Last year M3 sales dropped off because of the imminent refresh and this year will be just the same with many waiting for the MY Juniper. No finance incentives yet for the Highland so not surprising that after initial sales, demand will drop off for a time until interest rates come down.

I'm much more interested in 2025 with Juniper, M2 announcement with a revolutionary production process, possible Roadster launch, Cybertuck ramping up, and even the Semi going into production.

Don't forget how much investment is taking place ito enable future production. When eventually completed all this will no longer be a drain on management resources. If you watched Munro after the Cybertuck launch with the five senior development engineers it's inevitable that resources for development on multiple fronts has to be limited and will take time.

I doubt whether Musk is greatly concerned with the current negative slant because as always he has a longer term vision.

Tesla is a disruptive innovator and if it can maintain the still very high margins (by auto industry levels) it will be well placed to offer a very competitive EV future. These same margins are funding future development, with Mexico and India still to come and still allow pricing manoeuvrability to remain competitive.

Yes the Chinese are now serious competition but what are their margins? The new Xiaomi SU7 is a very impressive start but at the pricing quoted even the CEO admits it will sell at a loss, something they can afford as long as it's subsidised by the mobile arm of the company. It's also a victim of its own launch success because deliveries are going to be well into the future and if it's one thing we know from the M3 launch it was production hell at first. Apple, with all their vast resources have given up and many of the smaller Chinese operations will either go to the wall or only ever have a domestic market. How many would want to take a bet on Nio being able to achieve a competitive worldwide battery swap technology outside their domestic market?

It's taken Tesla many years to reach their current level of customer support - parts availability, service centres, showrooms, repair centres, liason with Thatcham etc. Compared to legacy manufacturers they are still not there yet and this will only get harder as more and more Teslas hit the road. But they do at least have a very strong base to build upon.

The Chinese have such a long way to go to establish a similar level of support. As we have seen some of the Chinese cars are uninsurable without a demonstrable parts availability - hire costs are one of the major factors in the very high level of premiums and insurers are not even going to quote without strong reassurance that repair times are not greatly prolonged.

If Tesla really do get it right with the M2 and Musk doesn't spoil its mainstream appeal all this 2024 negativity will be just a chapter on a much longer journey.

On the face of it that is a well reasoned post but of course it is pure speculation. There isn’t a person on this planet who can predict what Tesla sales will be like in the next couple of years. If I were to predict a decline in sales or at least stalled growth then my prediction would be every bit as valid as yours. Only time will tell.

It does amuse me when people reckon they know exactly what Musk is thinking.

There’s no getting past the fact that this has been a disastrous quarter for Tesla. It doesn’t mean things won’t get better, but there’s no guarantee they will. Even Musk has said that BYD will obliterate other EV manufacturers unless tariffs are put in place, and we know Musk is never wrong about anything.

Last year M3 sales dropped off because of the imminent refresh
So by that logic sales should have ballooned now that Highland is available but it has not happened.

M2 announcement with a revolutionary production process
None of this is anything other than a figment of people’s imagination. There is no Model 2, no revolutionary production process and even if it was to come to fruition, it will be several years before it becomes a reality judging by Tesla’s track record.

possible Roadster launch
😂

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Mexico and India still to come
Why would they build more factories when they are struggling to sell the cars their existing factories are churning out?

The new Xiaomi SU7
What does that car or any other Chinese manufacturers, who are non-existent in the US and barely present in Europe, have to do with their poor sales figures? Just more whataboutery.

until interest rates come down.
Funny that the interest rates haven’t stopped the likes of Ford, GM and Toyota increasing sales. Riddle me that.