Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I bought FSD on Delivery day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummmmmmm... the difference between driving (or having to be attentive in the driver's seat) and having a 24/7 chaueffeur (something that only billionaires can afford today). Even if they charged $100,000 for FSD, if/when it works, it'll be worth EVERY penny!!

But how many years away is that going to be? FSD to me means a few token gesture additional features over EAP, which itself is still very much an incomplete work in progress.

Even in the very unlikely event that FSD was released in its full glory tomorrow, I'm not going to trust my life with it! I think that's something a lot of people buying into FSD haven't really thought through i.e. would you actually trust it to drive without your full attention? This is not something you would casually gamble with unless you have a death wish. It's also a good reason why Tesla will be very reluctant to provide a true driverless system with all the potential backlash when someone dies. No more falling back on "driver responsibility" and that is one gigantic leap to take in legal, technical and political ways!

What FSD could potentially be in the short term is a better version of EAP and that's possibly worth the price, at least pre-delivery. I'm now wondering if Tesla will deliberately hold EAP back to give so-called FSD some justification for all those people who bought it in the last couple of years.

As much as I love Tesla and admire their drive and ambition, they appear to have seriously underestimated the challenges in bringing true FSD to market and now back-pedalling with the promise of FSD "features", whatever those may be.

...I'm now wondering if Tesla will deliberately hold EAP back to give so-called FSD some justification for all those people who bought it in the last couple of years.

I'm afraid it will probably some variation of this. Too many broken promises/over-the-top claims have already been made and failed to have been delivered. It's way WAY harder than what Tesla signed up for, and "pending regulatory approval" has nothing to do with it at this point. They're already talking about HW3 requirements when HW2 requirements were supposedly "good enough" a year ago. Let's say you buy FSD so you can get your hardware upgraded when it's available. How many tens of thousands of models 3s are going to be in front of you waiting for installation? My God, it'll take 2 years just to upgrade the existing hardware much less test it! Yeah, it's not happening any time soon, and in order to save face, they'll have to cannibalize some of the trivial stuff that should have been in EAP in the first place and call it FSD.

I hope Tesla, makes me eat my words with v9, but after 2 years of nothing but an interest-free loan to Tesla, and at least another year just to upgrade everyone's hardware, I seriously doubt it.

Look at the realities so far: We've got HW2.5 that's just barely caught up to HW1 (2 years gone). We've got overpass shadows being mistaken for obstacles. We've got basic blind-spot warning system that's way behind most ICE equivalents. We've got "uncomfortable" lane centering tendencies with merging traffic, and on and on. And now we find out we need more hardware...

I would be happy if we just got EAP working as intended:(

I'm afraid it will probably some variation of this. Too many broken promises/over-the-top claims have already been made and failed to have been delivered. It's way WAY harder than what Tesla signed up for, and "pending regulatory approval" has nothing to do with it at this point. They're already talking about HW3 requirements when HW2 requirements were supposedly "good enough" a year ago. Let's say you buy FSD so you can get your hardware upgraded when it's available. How many tens of thousands of models 3s are going to be in front of you waiting for installation? My God, it'll take 2 years just to upgrade the existing hardware much less test it! Yeah, it's not happening any time soon, and in order to save face, they'll have to cannibalize some of the trivial stuff that should have been in EAP in the first place and call it FSD.

I hope Tesla, makes me eat my words with v9, but after 2 years of nothing but an interest-free loan to Tesla, and at least another year just to upgrade everyone's hardware, I seriously doubt it.

Look at the realities so far: We've got HW2.5 that's just barely caught up to HW1 (2 years gone). We've got overpass shadows being mistaken for obstacles. We've got basic blind-spot warning system that's way behind most ICE equivalents. We've got "uncomfortable" lane centering tendencies with merging traffic, and on and on. And now we find out we need more hardware...

I would be happy if we just got EAP working as intended:(

Totally agree. It's got to the point where "FSD" really has to appear now in some watered down form and probably at the expense of further EAP development. Tesla have cornered themselves on this one and in hindsight they should never have allowed people to pay for FSD up front. It would have been better to concentrate on perfecting EAP as a stepping stone, rather than trying to make the leap to FSD in one hit. The expectation FSD has set is mind-blowing when you think about it. It's like selling lottery tickets without any feasible prize.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and K3Man
...am I right in observing that there is currently NO WAY to verify FSD is enabled in the car, other than my payment receipt?!

I guess I have to wait until v9.0 next month to see if those few "baby FSD" features show up or not.

Am I right here? Or is there a screen somewhere to confirm it's enabled? There really should be a "features enabled" screen (showing lifetime Supercharging, EAP, FSD, etc).
You do realize though that you won't get to use FSD for at least 10 years due to legislation requirements?

You do realize though that you won't get to use FSD for at least 10 years due to legislation requirements?

Proof of this is where?? States like CA which depend upon adoption of technologies like this to preserve and grow VERY high paying tech jobs will be sure to become early adopters. Especially when accident rates are proven to plummet.

• Disagree
Reactions: kavyboy and neroden

At least in Spain, as long as you have your hands on the steering wheel and looking at the road, you are ok.

So no difference between EAP or FSD. You can use both. Another thing is that you prefer not to pay attention while using it. You can say that is not FSD, level 5 or whatever.

For me, FSD as advertised by Tesla, even having to put my hands on the steering wheel, is GREAT!. When the legislation allows me to stop paying attention, that will be great too.

But no law prevents me from using FSD features now.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
That issue is better in latest Autopilot software rolling out now & fully fixed in August update as part of our long-awaited Tesla Version 9. To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety. With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features.

7 more days :rolleyes:;)
Dream on! Technically yes, it will be soon available. In California and Arizona there are special districts where they continue to test it.
However, for the rest of us, and for motorists who drive older cars without any tech, there is no way in Hell a legislative body is going to allow FSD for 5 to 10 years, period! Also, the fact that there are a huge amount of young, bad drivers out there, especially Toronto, that FSD will be years away before coming to fruition! Too many speeders out there who have no respect for the speed limits, again Toronto comes to mind. People here think they are driving on the Autobahn in Germany. This is not what FSD can handle at the moment. Unfortunately, the government is doing nothing about it. What are they doing? Building stupid bike lanes on main downtown streets!

Reactions: Varmint and K3Man
Are you sure you're referring to Toronto and not Southern California?

Also, the fact that there are a huge amount of young, bad drivers out there, especially Toronto, that FSD will be years away before coming to fruition! Too many speeders out there who have no respect for the speed limits, again Toronto comes to mind. People here think they are driving on the Autobahn in Germany. This is not what FSD can handle at the moment. Unfortunately, the government is doing nothing about it. What are they doing? Building stupid bike lanes on main downtown streets!