Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Just hung up from an unexpected and very interesting phone call from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit the order button three weeks ago and haven't heard a peep (besides email confirmation). Ordered without seeing it in person by the way. The local service center has had a few there, but they said they were customer cars and that I wouldn't be able to open the doors or get inside of it. I wanted to wait to see the inside before ordering, but we decided to just go for it. We love our Model S so we figure we are going to like it no matter what. Plus, there's nothing else comparable on the market.

Have you tried asking in your region/state forum if anyone nearby has an X you can visit? You could take measurements, sit in the seats, and maybe even drive it if they allow it.

Not yet. I never even saw the X in person until 49 hours ago. :) The Tesla rep at the event said only about a dozen had been delivered in Colorado so far so they are still pretty rare. I did see online today that someone was showing their X off over the weekend but unfortunately I didn't know about that in advance.

I was able to drive one for 10-15 minutes and the driver's seat was comfortable. I have no complaints about the front seats. I just don't know about the rear seats as I didn't get to experience sitting in them with the doors closed or while on a ride. I have two large dogs and am not sure they could both fit in the back even if both seats were down. The area behind the non-folding second row seats is a lot smaller than the cargo area in my current vehicle when the rear seats are folded.

Come on, I know we're fanboys here, but .... nobody saying it isn't great customer service, that's not the point. The point is, they do NOT have enough orders committed to fill the slots at the end of the month yet or they wouldn't be making the call in the first place. It's a math problem. They aren't calling out of the goodness of their heart.

Sorry, the entire thing is B.S. - I confirmed my order 4 months ago, and they still haven't given me a VIN or built my car, because there are too many orders in front of mine.

Sorry, the entire thing is B.S. - I confirmed my order 4 months ago, and they still haven't given me a VIN or built my car, because there are too many orders in front of mine.

I think a lot of people commenting on this thread are talking about Model S orders (that's what I was talking about). Model X orders are something else entirely. I suspect they are still struggling with being able to build an X correctly - it is a very tough car to build, with the fancy (and unnecessary) falcon wing doors.

I hit the order button three weeks ago and haven't heard a peep (besides email confirmation). Ordered without seeing it in person by the way. The local service center has had a few there, but they said they were customer cars and that I wouldn't be able to open the doors or get inside of it. I wanted to wait to see the inside before ordering, but we decided to just go for it. We love our Model S so we figure we are going to like it no matter what. Plus, there's nothing else comparable on the market.

We did the same...I think there are plenty of confirmed orders!

They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March"...
He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.
Are you an X reservation holder?
What does "how about if I can get one to you?" Does that mean schedule a date/time where you can have a test drive and close up look at your leisure? If so, why would you say no to that? You said you didn't get enough time with the X the first time.
If Tesla was "desperate" to get more X orders, it seems to me they would make the X configuration and order page available to everyone, and in other countries! Right now it's still closed to the public.

We in Canada are loosing our patience as all the reservation holders in Europe and China have been invited .UK and Canada have been left out. So many waiting here to push the order button ASAP.
Already lost mine. :p To be specific, only due to lack of folding seats (wow that sounds like a broken record now). :rolleyes: Check out my signature <strikeout>X</strikeout>.

They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March".

I said basically thanks but no thanks. I want to sit in it and take a nice look at my own pace and not at a specialized event with other people buzzing around. Not interested. I want to see it in the showroom under my own timeline. And when I'm ready, I'll pull the trigger. Not one second before.

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

Sounds to me like your configuration is very close to what they are producing in March and they are trying to find if you'd like one :smile:

Also, they probably want to release nice Model X production stats at the March 31 event. I doubt they are desperate as you're implying.

Yes that's what I am told. You'd think everything would be solved after the Model S.
Guess the X is more complex. For example we have an immobilizer in our fobs, I am now told that could be the reason we cannot use summon with the fob.
I was under the impression it was a per-car "tax", not something that goes away when a manufacturer makes a second car.

- - - Updated - - -

Already lost mine. :p To be specific, only due to lack of folding seats (wow that sounds like a broken record now). :rolleyes: Check out my signature <strikeout>X</strikeout>.
If you really want to drive home the point, make an open "TMC group" called "Dealbreaker: Folding seats" and start nudging people to join. ;)

It's a great car and I can afford it. However, if it doesn't meet my cargo needs then it isn't the right car for me. I don't know if it will meet my cargo needs since I only had a few minutes in the car. I wasn't even able to sit in the rear seats with closed falcon wing doors. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my tape measure along so I couldn't measure and see for myself how things would fit. Maybe Tesla could provide some different sized stuffed animals to simulate different sized dogs or provide some cardboard boxes to simulate dog crates or other cargo. :) It might seal more than one deal.

I was on the test drive for 10 to 15 minutes but only in the driver's seat. I got to spend a few more minutes in the rear of another car but never got to sit in the car with the doors closed. I don't really need a lot of time with the car but I need to know if the non-folding seats will be able to accommodate my cargo and dogs.

It's one thing to spend $1000 on a TV or appliance. It takes a lot more commitment to spend $100k on a car that I plan to have for quite some time. Again, I was hoping to be able to have one car that meets all of my needs. If it doesn't then I'd end up keeping my current car (which has met my needs for 19 years) or end up getting two new cars to replace the current vehicle.

Below is the Model X FAQ thread link that may possibly help with some measurements among other things...:
Model X FAQ (wiki)

If you are going to have adult rear seat (third row) passengers, then I would highly recommend sitting in the third row and let the second row seat move backwards.

Leg space is an issue since the second row tilts back and decreases leg space. A second row passenger can adjust the seat with the lower seat controls to add more space, but the discomfort of the seat moving back has already occurred.

I have called Tesla Motors and hopefully the software team can provide a bit of relief by allowing more leg space automatically without having to manually readjust the seat after the knee pressure has occurred.

This is with both knees in a fully wide position. Another option is to keep both knees together towards the cup holders. It's the lack of space near the wheel well that is the problem when you desire to keep feet and knees apart. (IMHO, adults cannot sit comfortably with knees together in a forward position in the third row seats and have the second row moved back to the automatic stop position.)

Last edited:
I just got the same call. What surprised me was they said I could get a 90D by the end of march. The only thing they said I can't get is 5 seat configuration or a 70D. They also said if I wait and don't do it and finalize next week then it will be end of summer for a 90D.

I just got the same call. What surprised me was they said I could get a 90D by the end of march. The only thing they said I can't get is 5 seat configuration or a 70D. They also said if I wait and don't do it and finalize next week then it will be end of summer for a 90D.
I suspect this pretty much nails the idea that it is to bring up the 1st quarter deliveries. Note that everyone here who got a VIN for a 90D or got this call is a California delivery.

Once that card is placed its to the back of the line if you choose not to execute it.