Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So much for deliveries by 7/31.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has said Summer 2012 for a long time now.

Not that long. It wasn't too long ago when they said first deliveries in 2011.

If you thought you were getting a car in April 2012, you have an incredibly odd definition of summer. And if you made assumptions on initial delivery rate that left you no flexibility, that's purely your responsibility.
I never said it wasn't.

While I, too, am a little disquieted by the time gap between the initial deliveries over a month ago and now, I strongly disagree that the 20 or so founders who have already taken delivery aren't "customers." My understanding is that they've all paid for their cars. Maybe OP could help us out with a little more detail as to why we shouldn't think of them as "customers?"

As for when Tesla said deliveries would take place... well whatever they said in the past is pretty irrelevant, right? They're contacting Sig holders and scheduling actual deliveries as we speak so isn't that what's more important?

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this car (i.e. on the reservation list) much longer than I so it's with a great deal of trepidation that I suggest that we all try to be a little patient here.

While I, too, am a little disquieted by the time gap between the initial deliveries over a month ago and now, I strongly disagree that the 20 or so founders who have already taken delivery aren't "customers." My understanding is that they've all paid for their cars. Maybe OP could help us out with a little more detail as to why we shouldn't think of them as "customers?"

As far as we know, Founders are buying Model S with their own money, and then privately own this car and can do with it what they want.

My take is that the idea that they are not customers was made up by some who thought it would be good to "be optimistic" and didn't mind implicitly putting Tesla under pressure to deliver signatures at the June event...

Elon promised customer deliveries by the end of July. It's now official that this goal was missed. (I don't consider founders to be customers.)

Not criticizing, merely observing. Could this be partly the reason for the low stock price?

Based on this thread a "real" customer got delivery on July 27. They just got bumped up to Founder status from their SSL spot. That seems to indicate the goal was met to deliver to a customer by July 31 whether customer meant someone on original Founder list or not.
Is that good enough to stop the nit picking in this particular area?

a "real" customer got delivery on July 27. They just got bumped up to Founder status from their SSL spot. That seems to indicate the goal was met to deliver to a customer by July 31 whether customer meant someone on original Founder list or not.
Is that good enough to stop the nit picking in this particular area?

I don't know where I stand on Founders as real customers or not. That said, if you're in the "real customers start with Sig SSL" then this sleight of hand is not at all convincing. Nice try though.

There's a big difference. Yes, I was misled. But as you stated, it was my own fault for believing it without accounting for delays.
You said you "made my car selling-buying plans last year based on an April delivery".

If you made that decision last year, you weren't misled since Summer 2012 had already been stated. I know because I reserved 1/9/2011 and it was expected deliveries in Summer 2012 at that point.

I agree, founders shouldn't count as 'customers'. I mean really, they paid for the car, received the car, drove away in the car, registered it under their name. But that shouldn't count, should it?
I suggest we also don't count any Signature reservations. After all, they will/have paid for their cars, will receive it, will drive it and register it.
Oh hey, let's also not count anyone named David, Sally or... hmmm... Frank as customers:tongue:

I agree, founders shouldn't count as 'customers'. I mean really, they paid for the car, received the car, drove away in the car, registered it under their name. But that shouldn't count, should it?
Sigh. Like I said, I'm still not decided but posts like this just annoy me.... on behalf of those that see the Founders as a different class of customer/non-customer.

"Sig red" is exclusive to Signatures right? Well, last I checked at least 3 of the Founders vehicles have a Signature Red exterior. Does this imply that there are more than 1000 Signatures?

Just one example of how Tesla themselves are treating Founders as different from "regular" people... you know... customers.