Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, paint protection film

Are you getting Paint Protection Film installed on your new Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put PPF on the front, bonnet bumper grill and wing mirrors and later added the rear bumper.
My PPF has a mark on the bonnet where it was hit by a rock but the paint underneath still seems ok. Definitely a different outcome without PPF. Cost about $1000 about 4 years ago.
Happy I did it.

The only place I've ever had damage in 108,000km of mixed rural, city, road trips, dirt roads etc is the front panel where the grill would be on an old-style car.
I've got a dozen small chips on that area, and I've not found a single chip anywhere else. I would probably put film there on my next car.

Reactions: Hyena
I'm thinking of at least the front bumper, considering these cars don't have a grill they just have a flat surface for collecting bugs and stones.

I wouldn't consider a full wrap unless $ was no consideration or it was a car you were keeping for life and adding to your collection.

I have never spent more than $20k on a car so I plan on keeping my Model 3 for a long time i.e. > 10 years.

This is my justification for spending $6500 for full PPF using STEK DynoShield.
I will ceramic coat the rims etc myself as I have ceramic coated a few cars.

I also purchased mud flaps from tsolutions.online.
Hopefully they look Ok when I get them. They should offer some protection from shingle road stone chipping.

I have never spent more than $20k on a car so I plan on keeping my Model 3 for a long time i.e. > 10 years.

This is my justification for spending $6500 for full PPF using STEK DynoShield.
I will ceramic coat the rims etc myself as I have ceramic coated a few cars.

I also purchased mud flaps from tsolutions.online.
Hopefully they look Ok when I get them. They should offer some protection from shingle road stone chipping.
If you have self ceramic coated your cars, it would be worthwhile ceramic coating your ppt also

It only makes sense if you realistically plan on keeping the car long term. Personally I have never owned a car for more than 3-4 years, so PPF has never made sense for me to purchase. It is just money I am investing for the next owner but doesn't increase resale value. I typically pay about $1k for a Cquartz Finest ceramic coating and it lasts the life of my ownership.

Have you covered any of your previous vehicles? Why change now.

I don't feel that it impacts the price when you sale it.
The previous three cars have been bought with about 20,000km's on them.
We got Duraseal coating applied to the last two, which made cleaning easier for a few years.
When we sold them after 12+ years, the cars were at about 200,000km, and the paint was looking sad :(

The Model 3 mechanics and battery should last well over 300,000km, or 15+ years for us.
This is about $6500 per year ($100,000 / 15years), ignoring resale value because at this point it is insignificant.

The problem is I still want my 12+ year old car to still look smart.
The STEK DynoShield has a 10 year warranty, like some others, but also includes a Hydrophobic top coat.
I imagine after a few years this top coat may degrade, and I will need to ceramic coat it. TBD.
Also I imagine I will need to get the PPF removed at about 12 years because the edges are lifting or the glue is yellowing.
With the PPF removed the paint should still be pristine :) (Yes wishful thinking...).

The previous three cars have been bought with about 20,000km's on them.
We got Duraseal coating applied to the last two, which made cleaning easier for a few years.
When we sold them after 12+ years, the cars were at about 200,000km, and the paint was looking sad :(

The Model 3 mechanics and battery should last well over 300,000km, or 15+ years for us.
This is about $6500 per year ($100,000 / 15years), ignoring resale value because at this point it is insignificant.

The problem is I still want my 12+ year old car to still look smart.
The STEK DynoShield has a 10 year warranty, like some others, but also includes a Hydrophobic top coat.
I imagine after a few years this top coat may degrade, and I will need to ceramic coat it. TBD.
Also I imagine I will need to get the PPF removed at about 12 years because the edges are lifting or the glue is yellowing.
With the PPF removed the paint should still be pristine :) (Yes wishful thinking...).
Suspect it would be cheaper to have a premium ceramic coating professionally applied every 4 years (even though it lasts longer) than buying film

Suspect it would be cheaper to have a premium ceramic coating professionally applied every 4 years (even though it lasts longer) than buying film

The problem is ceramic coating isn’t going to protect you from much more than chemical damage (eg bird poo) and will just make the car easier to clean. Despite manufacturers claims, there is virtually zero protection against scratches, stone chips, door dings etc.

I‘ve had opticoat ceramic coating on my current car for 4.5 years now. For the first 1-1.5years the paint was easy to clean shiny etc but you realise that within 2 years even with a fully garaged car in and out of business hours, it’s all pretty much gone after 2-3 years so I’m not sure I would bother to do it again.

PPF on the other hand will definitely provide a better protection and certainly for a lot longer but it’s also 4x the price of ceramic coating so I’m not sure that is good value for money either given that when you come to sell the car I highly doubt you will get an additional $3-6K just because the paint is in excellent condition.

I will probably keep the car for a year or two and then either get a newer one or get the Y or S refresh (even though Elon says it’s not coming, somehow I don’t believe him.)

So for me PPF and ceramic is pointless because I guess I just see the car as an appliance which will have wear and tear with time.

Kill two birds with one stone. Buy the no cost vanilla colour and save a couple of g's Wrap it in the wildest colour you always wanted. If the buyer doesn't like the colour when you sell it, peel the wrap off to the showroom condition paint job.